JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Subsonic caliber

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Looking to build a rifle to shoot only subsonic ammo threw that will be suppressed
Goals is to
Be quiet so bolt action preferred
30 caliber
Subsonic ammo only
And wont shoot more then 300yards for steel and possibly deer
And 16-18 inch barrel
Store purchased ammo due to I dont reload

Was looking at atomic ammunition and few other ammo companies and have narrowed it down to 308 300blackout or 762x39

Last Edited:
That is easy, 300blackout wins hands down as that is what it was originally designed for. You will need a scope with much adjustment to hit out to 300yds as you will have 110" of drop at 300 if you are sighted in at 100yds. Not really a great hunting round subsonic but look into Maker subsonic expanding rounds if you must hunt with it. Good luck!

That is easy, 300blackout wins hands down as that is what it was originally designed for. You will need a scope with much adjustment to hit out to 300yds as you will have 110" of drop at 300 if you are sighted in at 100yds. Not really a great hunting round subsonic but look into Maker subsonic expanding rounds if you must hunt with it. Good luck!

Yeah, do the deer a favor and use a more capable cartridge. You'll hopefully only have to deal with 1 or 2 shots of sound. You owe it that much at least.

300 BLK, I was shooting my Ruger ranch rifle, monday with 190 gr subs hits at 160 yards where no problem. just shooting rocks fist to melon sized.

Nikon 3x9 set on 3x and using the bottom post as a aiming point for 100 yards and hold over for past that.
vENCYuc.jpg

My 2 cents. It does not matter what cartridge you use if you pushing a heavy 30 cal bullet below ~1050fps to be sub/suppressed.
If I were to meet the OP criteria, I would focus on the rifle you like...Howa, CZ, Rem or Ruger to name a few. For me it would have to be 300BLK with such a huge variety of subsonic ammo on the shelves. I've bought 300BLK sub ammo recently for $15/box.
I like 1-6 or 1-8 scopes for the 300...shoot with both eyes open up close and still dial up to 300 plates.
Enjoy your decision.

Well the obvious choice is 300 blackout as it has lots of subsonic amp choices readily available on store shelves.

Another oddball option is .06 inches bigger.

AKA 38 special or 357 through the Ruger 77/357.

Well the obvious choice is 300 blackout as it has lots of subsonic amp choices readily available on store shelves.

Another oddball option is .06 inches bigger.

AKA 38 special or 357 through the Ruger 77/357.
Shooting 357 is pretty easy as well! Though I would support 308 over 300 BLK. If you are looking for something quiet to shoot only then yeah go for 300 if you are looking for something a bit more flexible 308 works well though 300 is quickly catching up with options.
Biggest advantage for bolt ops though is 308. It's been around for a long time. The ballistics and behaviors are well known. 300 is a great choice in semi and black rifle platforms. Still expanding into the other markets.

300 BLK gets my vote if using factory ammo. I had a Ruger American Ranch, and have a CZ 527 Suppressor Ready in BLK, and mainly shoot subsonic loads at steel with it. Also have a couple of 77/357 Rugers, one that is set up for a suppressor. I haven't tried to shoot either out to 300 yards (generally out to 125 or 150 yards), but at the longer distances, and with subsonic loads I have shot, I would give the nod to the BLK. I reload for both, but know there is a growing selection of blackout sub ammo options.

Haven't tried to load subs in 308 or x39, but I know it can be done. Planning to work up some 308 subs to try in my Ruger Scout rifle with the suppressor sometime.

Last Edited:
I would ( I do) run standard .308 win through the suppressor for most needs, and only switch to the Subs when really needed! Makes for the most versatile rifle you can have!

This ^^

Unless there is a significant difference in decibel level and accuracy between .300 BO and 7.62x51 subsonics, then I personally would go for the 7.62x51as it would be more versatile.

Now what counts as 'significant' is a matter of opinion.

OTOH, if you can afford to also have a suppressed 7.62x51 in addition to .300 BO, then get both.

You are going to get much better wound lethality using a 35 caliber with a bullet weight of about 250 to 275 grains loaded to 1100 FPS. This is easiest done with a 35 Whelen to start with. Also 358 Winchester. I have one with a 27" barrel that sounds like a 22 when it goes off.

Last Edited:
You are going to get much better wound lethality using a 35 caliber with a bullet weight of about 250 to 275 grains loaded to 1100 FPS. This is easiest done with a 35 Whelen to start with. Also 358 Winchester. I have one with a 27" barrel that sounds like a 22 when it goes off.
Even better energy with 45-70 shooting 520 gr. Hard cast round nose sitting on top of 16gr. of Trail Boss. Lots of penetration

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads