JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it me, or are there hardly ANY bolt action rifles out there in 'common calibers'?????

Aside from milsurps and a few other oddities... I cant think of more than 1 or 2 modern production rifles that come with iron sights?

For example... I LOVED my CZ597 Carbine... but what else is out there?

somebody set me straight...

Mossberg ATR100 /4x4/ MVP, Savage Hog hunter /Bear hunter, Ruger GSR /model 77/ Guide rifle, Winchester Alaska /Safari, all Blaser Mauser Heym models have it.

Although Shib Shab's inquiry seems academic, and was rather easy to answer with a number of replies, he brings to light a very good observation. He is correct, in that new bolt action hunting rifles with iron sights are becoming the MINORITY of offerings now.

This trend follows (and is a result of) a number of factors:

1) Increased reliability of telescopic sights (even cheap scopes work rather well, and are darned rugged these days).

2) The mistaken belief that telescopic sights are a necessity for success in most big game hunting (in truth, they most often are not, and in numerous instances can be the obstacle to success).

3) The ever-present driving force for manufacturers toward the bottom line: economy in manufacture and profit at the sale (even rudimentary sights cost money to produce and install).

4) An increasing number of new shooters who were never schooled in the usage of iron sights (and their numerous advantages and attributes).

ShibberShabber and the rest of us who are equipped with the knowledge and appreciation of a good set of irons on a fine gun will sadly see the increase in this tragic trend. Iron sights may well become the seatbelts on our Star Ship Enterprise: Technology lost to the ages.

P1160228_zpsb3a02185.jpg

Remington Model 722, .300 Savage, vintage 1956. Redfield Number 102 Receiver sight (instantly removable and reinstallation with return to zero), still sporting the factory buckhorns (if needed) as well. More sturdy, More lightweight, More compact, More handy and faster sight picture acquisition than any scope. Accuracy equal to or better than any telescopic sight toward any visible target. This gun from a time (and apparently a knowlegdable first owner) knowing the value and advantages of iron sights.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top