JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having (which I hope is something simple) an issue where the BCG isn't cycling.

I have cleaned it and i have about 1000 rounds through it without a FTF or FTE.

So i went to the range last month with a buddy and we shot my AR and first shot, BANG, second shot, CLICK. I rack the charge handle and brass ejects. Pull trigger, BANG, second shot, CLICK. I just replaced the charge handle to a BCM Mod4 so I assumed that was the cause. So I went to the range today and put the old charge handle back in and same results.

It almost feels like there isn't enough pressure from the first round to cycle the BCG back far enough to catch the next round.

I'm in the process of cleaning it all out again. Anything I should be looking for?

*sorry if any of my terms are not correct, i'm still very new with AR's and the lingo...

UPDATE: cleaned the cr*p out of the gun and noticed the Gas key is loose. Can I just tighten it back up or do I need to replaced anything? Also if I can just re-tighten them, do they need to be torqued to any certain lbs?

Check your extractor. The fact that the trigger is reset tells me that the bolt is cycling but it's not ejecting the last round. Your extractor spring is probably too light. I had the same issue about a year ago with a colt/aero build I did. Gun would fire, and the trigger would reset but it would fail to eject the brass. I switched to my buddies BCG and the weapon operated fine. Once I replaced the extractor spring, the weapon functioned flawlessly.

another thing to check is remove the gas block and clean the little hole that goes into the barrel, I had an ar10 that did this to me and that's all it was. it was not getting enough gas pressure into the chamber to cycle the bolt fully.

Similar thing was happening to a friends AR. I went to pull the hand guards off to check the gas tube and the whole gas block slid forward about 3 inches. Once it was back in place and securely thightened the problem was resolved. Not necessarily your problem but something to check.

It's interesting to see all the different responses. One thing that wasn't mentioned (or I missed it, if it was) was the magazine.

I've had the same symptoms happen and it turned out to be the magazine. The spring is worn, it's dirty and the follower can't freely move, etc.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top