JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up an old Coast to Coast bolt action 30-30 at the gun show today. I've never shot one and I don't have a need for it but I got it for a price that even my wife couldn't be upset about. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of a bolt action 30-30 vs the usual lever actions?

Before Hornady introduced their LEVERevolution ammo, you were stuck with a round nosed bullet in a lever action. Their innovation brought that old lever action out of the closet so to speak.
Where as a bolt action 30/30 could be loaded with a much better performer spire pointed bullet.

Check out this Chuck Hawks article about Hornady's efforts in upgrading one of the most popular cartridges of all time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Dh2UHeVrmlKbgtUgQ&sig2=FZrW6VtYqrGCM5v70BX6ew

Should really say compared to tube fed lever actions. The Savage 99 has been fine with spire pointed .30-30's for over 100 years. Not trying to piss in the pool, just another layer to the question!

First rifle I ever bought was a Savage 99 in 308. Bought it with money I got at my high school graduation party. Sold it a few years later. That was 15 years ago. Been kicking myself ever since.

I've owned both types and my 1934 Winchester 30/30 has a cool factor that just isn't there with a bolt gun.
Maybe it's all those cowboy movies I watched as a kid.
The bolt functioned fine, but I sold it without any regrets.

No cool factor here. It is definitely a utilitarian rifle above anything else. I may shoot it a little, trade it, sell it, or I may keep it to lend it out during hunting season (only after making sure anyone who may end up touching the rifle fills out the 4473 and gets approved, thanks to SB941)

Not to be as they say a prick for details. But any tube fed 30-30 can use spire point bullets. As long as you only load 2 in the magazine at a time. That way when you cycle the first round into the chamber there is nothing to dent the other shells primer on recoil. You can also use a bullet like a 130 grain hollow point Speer makes a dandy jacketed hollow point that works in a tube mag,

Speer Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 130 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/790509/speer-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-130-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100)

A buddy of mine and I have a couple of the commemorative Model 1894 rifles with the 26" barrels and fancy sights and we hunt with them that way. we call them our two shots.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top