JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And that is the thing right there. Any honest person should see this as a way to help them do there job. It would be a way to collaborate the events, establish a much more defensible case. I would think Law enforcement would be all for it ( the 98% of Law enforcement who are good, honest people anyway)

It helps me a lot in my loss prevention work. I cannot deviate from our established SOP's. Everything is documented, if we have an incident on any kind the video is downloaded. If we have to confront an individual or remove them from store, we take them to an open public area of the store that has 2 camera coverage and trespass them there. We had a person fall and we documented that. It is protection for me as a loss prevention person and for the store in daily operations.

As far as these officers turning the cameras off, there have been several procedures outlined. I had several employees driving commercial vehicles and doing journeyman level public works jobs. We had specific procedures for doing things, written down, trained on and with daily checklists.

If you deviated from these procedures, there was a documented 3 step process to correct the behavior.

Guess what the third step was ??

The nice thing about my profession is that the end result of a day's work is written software code, which is checked into a repository. So we know who did what and when, even years later.

So no video needed.

I think there are some vid cams hanging from the ceiling for the purpose of recording break-ins/etc.

My employer also records what websites you visit and how much data bandwidth used - so if a person does nothing but watch cat vids all day then there is a record. Those of us who get our jobs done don't worry about it.

There is a device called Telematics in my UPS truck that records among other things my speed, how long I remain parked in any one spot, whether or not my seat belt is buckled or my bulkhead door is open, and the GPS coordinates of the vehicle at every moment of the day.

I love it. It adds a level of accountability and transparency that I find refreshing. There is a significant amount of liability involved in continually accessing private property, and in the event that I am ever falsely accused of misconduct it will only serve to vindicate me. I was once falsely accused of backing into and damaging a rain gutter, and the GPS unit clearly showed I never drove the truck onto the property. On another occasion, I was making a delivery to a rural address after dark, and in walking up to the customers front door I passed by a bedroom window and scared the heck out of a woman who was partially undressed. No complaint was ever called in, but I remember being very grateful afterwards for the fact that the Telematics unit would show that less than 30 seconds elapsed between shutting the ignition off, scanning the package, delivering it, and turning the engine back on and driving away.

The bottom line is that if you are doing your job correctly you should have no concerns about being recorded or electronically monitored.

Why should we make it to where officers should be able to control whether or not a body camera can be turned on and off at their discretion?

1) To protect the identities of undercover law enforcement entities, confidential informants, victims and sensitive information of the agency
2) To prevent privacy violations in recording the public without their consent
3) To allow officers to have personal privacy while on duty (using the bathroom, calling their spouse, conversing with their colleges).

Did I miss anything? Do you thing the "nots" outweigh the "shoulds"? Discuss...

NUMBER ONE: Nothing is being released to the public that doesn't already get released. Undercover etc. That exemption already exists in every state.

NUMBER TWO: Easy Peasy. If it's in public, NO ONE has the right to expect privacy. SC rulings to this effect are long in place. ALSO see NUMBER ONE.

NUMBER THREE: It's called editing.

In other words, if you want privacy in the performance of your job, don't be a cop. Fine with me, we can replace you in five minutes. Give me another profession that will hire you with a HS education and essentially zero qualifications other than passing a drug, background and polygraph at 40-60k a year?

This is why cams should be on all the time:

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ce...cipient-killed-police-call-medical-emergency/

Whether they intentionally didn't turn them on, or they just forgot in the heat of the moment...

Not quite sure though why police went to a medical emergency.

I am thinking there is more to this story - it doesn't add up.

Police respond to medical emergencies if:

The address has a hazard flag in the computer, for LEO unfriendliness, per EMS request,
There were any previous DV calls there.
There were an mental issues.
If they are close for an AED call.
There is a chance to hook somebody for warrants.
If it is a slow night and then need something to do.

There is a back story that is not presented here.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews