JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you invested in Body Armor?

• Yes

Votes: 105 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 45.6%

• Total voters
Looks like the sponsors are mostly Democrats from what I can tell in a quick browse..... and looks like they don't want the general population to be able to protect themselves from rifle fire :rolleyes: thinking of the police forces' 5.56 M855s, 7.62x51 chambered rifles and carbines...
Precisely what I was getting at. My question was less of a ponderous inquiry than it was a sardonic interrogatory... ;)

Last Edited:
I have a carrier with IIIA plates from RMA. They're ~3.2 lbs each. They add some rigidity to the carrier which is really nice and makes for a much better mounting platform. With the plates, three mags and basic med the whole thing is around 12 lbs which is very manageable.

I have a carrier with IIIA plates from RMA. They're ~3.2 lbs each. They add some rigidity to the carrier which is really nice and makes for a much better mounting platform. With the plates, three mags and basic med the whole thing is around 12 lbs which is very manageable.
What model number are they? Hard 3A plates? I see there are kevlar soft 3A plates that weight under 2 lbs each....
NIJ Certified GS3A.06 3A Soft Armor Plate Inserts by Sword and Shield Strategic

What model number are they? Hard 3A plates? I see there are kevlar soft 3A plates that weight under 2 lbs each....
NIJ Certified GS3A.06 3A Soft Armor Plate Inserts by Sword and Shield Strategic

So, I went and pulled them out of the carrier and they are Model 0226 (Level IIIA Hard Armor Plate (Model #0226) Gen-2 | RMA Armament - Personal Body Armor)

I was wrong on the weight before, they're not 3 lbs, but they don't feel less than a pound to me, either and are thicker than .25 inch. I have very early serial numbers (<20) so maybe RMA has changed the specs slightly without updating the model number.

I paid $79 each for them - they're $99 now.

So, I went and pulled them out of the carrier and they are Model 0226 (Level IIIA Hard Armor Plate (Model #0226) Gen-2 | RMA Armament - Personal Body Armor)

I was wrong on the weight before, they're not 3 lbs, but they don't feel less than a pound to me, either and are thicker than .25 inch. I have very early serial numbers (<20) so maybe RMA has changed the specs slightly without updating the model number.

I paid $79 each for them - they're $99 now.

Is the concern primarily pistol threats? It is interesting to consider having a carrier set up with molle pouches to carry extra ammo but have the plates only rated for pistol fire.

Is the concern primarily pistol threats? It is interesting to consider having a carrier set up with molle pouches to carry extra ammo but have the plates only rated for pistol fire.

Yeah, honestly - they fit the budget at the time for plates that didn't weigh 8lbs a piece. Plus considering that something like 97% of domestic shootings involve handguns, I feel pretty OK about it. I am looking to move to a level III or III+ plate rated for M855 in the near future though and will probably pick up a helmet at some point.

It makes sense in a weird way. Going by the FBI crime stats, the vast majority of firearms related crimes involve pistols. So based on that logic, 3A is a bare minimum, and rather reasonable.. having a decent balance between weight and protection, sacrificing some protection to carry more ammo, and to be more mobile. Consider that the PASGT vest was never meant for more than frag threat; it follows a similar line of thinking.

Yeah, honestly - they fit the budget at the time for plates that didn't weigh 8lbs a piece. Plus considering that something like 97% of domestic shootings involve handguns, I feel pretty OK about it. I am looking to move to a level III or III+ plate rated for M855 in the near future though and will probably pick up a helmet at some point.

Makes sense, statically speaking. Thanks!

I really need to get a decent, sensitive, high load capacity scale so I can weight the plates I have. The Level III ICW plates are lighter than the sole Level IV standalone square plate that I have. They are what I use in the modified tan carrier, and what I will be sewing up a woodland carrier for; while waiting for the BAO 4401SH plate. The combo of square back plate and shooter cut front plate should in theory provide a decent balance of mobility/flexibility and protection in a Level IV package, and would require a custom plate carrier.

Edit. It might be better for me to acquire a set of Level IIIA soft plates to act as backers to the Level III hard plates, although I am not sure I can justify the costs simply due to the Level III plates being expired/ NIJ 04 certified and not NIJ 06 certified... but they are in good shape, and I don't feel any cracking/creaking on them.

Last Edited:
As an aside, for the sake of historical interest; here is one of the earliest minimalist plate carriers; the Interim Small Arms Protective Overvest (ISAPO).
The US made about 4,000+ of them, and the majority, if not all of them went to Australia for use. These were meant to be worn over the PASGT vests, hence the lack of padding anywhere, and they provided more protection than one of the first generations of Ranger Body Armor(RBA) by virtue of having a 2nd ceramic plate in the rear pocket.. when combined with the PASGT vest; supposedly protects the user better than the RBA series. ISAPO Ranger Plate Carrier Woodland Camo -1.jpg ISAPO Ranger Plate Carrier Woodland Camo.jpg 4027245_orig.jpg 3875396_orig.jpg 638777_orig.jpg ISAPO Ranger Plate Carrier Woodland Camo -2.jpg ISAPO Ranger Plate Carrier Woodland Camo -3.jpg

As an aside, for the sake of historical interest; here is one of the earliest minimalist plate carriers; the Interim Small Arms Protective Overvest (ISAPO).
The US made about 4,000+ of them, and the majority, if not all of them went to Australia for use. These were meant to be worn over the PASGT vests, hence the lack of padding anywhere, and they provided more protection than one of the first generations of Ranger Body Armor(RBA) by virtue of having a 2nd ceramic plate in the rear pocket.. when combined with the PASGT vest; supposedly protects the user better than the RBA series. View attachment 706536View attachment 706537View attachment 706538View attachment 706539View attachment 706540View attachment 706541View attachment 706542

Sportsman's Guide had them a couple years back, I kick myself for not buying one. Would have made another good grab-n-go carrier plus I'm a sucker for Woodland camo.

Sportsman's Guide had them a couple years back, I kick myself for not buying one. Would have made another good grab-n-go carrier plus I'm a sucker for Woodland camo.
But they came with Russian plates of unknown rating/condition, which prevented me from buying any.... I recently got in a couple yards of 1000D Cordura in Woodland, again, to compare with the US sourced 500D Woodland fabric I have from Rockywoods. Was hoping to find fabric thats as close a match as possible to this vest . So far the fabric I've gotten are identical to the MOLLE canteen pouch in the pic, having a brighter green, unlike the more desaturated, more brownish tone pattern on the ALICE vest.

Edit. Since the Cordura woodland fabrics I have are identical to the MOLLE gear, I suppose that pushes the plate carrier design towards being oriented for MOLLE as opposed to the ALICE pouches on the vest 20200115_165616.jpg

I was wanting to see how a vintage looking ALICE webbed plate carrier with the ALICE pouches off that vest was going to look, but unfortunately I seem to only can find either Taiwan copy in a brighter green tint of woodland, or the MOLLE woodland coloring, instead of the older LBV/ALICE fabrics. Unless I make a whole set of ALICE pouches using the newer woodland camo.... but on the other handz USGI MOLLE woodland pouches are easy to find and affordable... :confused: yes, I'm a woodland camo and ALICE gear nerd :s0151:

But they came with Russian plates of unknown rating/condition, which prevented me from buying any.... I recently got in a couple yards of 1000D Cordura in Woodland, again, to compare with the US sourced 500D Woodland fabric I have from Rockywoods. Was hoping to find fabric thats as close a match as possible to this vest . So far the fabric I've gotten are identical to the MOLLE canteen pouch in the pic, having a brighter green, unlike the more desaturated, more brownish tone pattern on the ALICE vest.

Edit. Since the Cordura woodland fabrics I have are identical to the MOLLE gear, I suppose that pushes the plate carrier design towards being oriented for MOLLE as opposed to the ALICE pouches on the vestView attachment 706557

Yeah I would have sold the plates to a Slavaboo on Facebook and replaced with something of known quality.

HR 4568: Responsible Body Armor Possession Act. This bill won't go anywhere for the time being but you should buy now. That way you are grandfathered in. The lead times for body armor are months but at least you will be in the queue.

Responsible Body Armor Possession Act (H.R. 4568)

Perfect timing. Start riots and tell Police to do nothing. Let video out all over of this, then tell the public you are not going to let them buy body armor. Keep this up and we may see a great election in a few months here.

I really need to get a decent, sensitive, high load capacity scale so I can weight the plates I have. The Level III ICW plates are lighter than the sole Level IV standalone square plate that I have. They are what I use in the modified tan carrier, and what I will be sewing up a woodland carrier for; while waiting for the BAO 4401SH plate. The combo of square back plate and shooter cut front plate should in theory provide a decent balance of mobility/flexibility and protection in a Level IV package, and would require a custom plate carrier.

Edit. It might be better for me to acquire a set of Level IIIA soft plates to act as backers to the Level III hard plates, although I am not sure I can justify the costs simply due to the Level III plates being expired/ NIJ 04 certified and not NIJ 06 certified... but they are in good shape, and I don't feel any cracking/creaking on them.

If they're III ICW wouldn't they require a IIIA backer to achieve that rating?

My TAG carrier can accommodate rectangular plates in the rear so you don't necessarily have to DIY - unless you want to, which is way cool.

If they're III ICW wouldn't they require a IIIA backer to achieve that rating?

My TAG carrier can accommodate rectangular plates in the rear so you don't necessarily have to DIY - unless you want to, which is way cool.
Yes; thats why I have the Level IIIA soft armor set in the tan carrier behind the ICW plates. Well, there's not many woodland camo MOLLE plate carriers that accommodate the rectangle and shooters cut combo. Speaking of which... my latest fabric arrival, 1000D Woodland Camo. 500D is to the left, and the roll of webbing is supposedly Ranger Green but looks closer to the dark green webbing on the SPEAR ELCS pieces. Shown with the SPEAR ELCS H harness section on a MOLLE II belt and LBV shoulder harness. I haven't been able to find any Nylon Pack Cloth or older 500D Cordura in the woodland tone like the LBV shoulder pads.. which is an interesting gear problem to have :rolleyes: MOLLE/SPEAR woodland camo is definitely a different shade than the LBV shoulder pads. 20200606_132820.jpg

So what I see here is people panic buying.
Body armor.
Lol SHOULD HAVE GOT IT YEARS AGO.

anyway if you can find some better get some steal plates with spale pads .
Lol good luck M F ERS .
ITS TO LATE .
LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads