JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you invested in Body Armor?

• Yes

Votes: 105 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 45.6%

• Total voters
Kenya%2BWildlife%2BConservancy%2C%2Bpubic%2Bdomain.jpg

How some people with armor sees themselves
Picture484-1.jpg
How media and certain people sees civilians wearing armor...
bc0446cf796ab2500ea4e8f3c18b7192.jpg OIP.jpeg

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tis mostly a joke :s0064:

On the other hand... 10x12 being the most common size.... it ends up looking closer to this in proportion...
ColonLopezPJ1.jpg
When it should be more like this on the right
VNuOzUm.jpg
Handy diagram from SKD-Tac
Organs.png

How some people with armor sees themselves
View attachment 680964
How media and certain people sees civilians wearing armor...
View attachment 680962View attachment 680963

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tis mostly a joke :s0064:

On the other hand... 10x12 being the most common size.... it ends up looking closer to this in proportion...
View attachment 680966
When it should be more like this on the right
View attachment 680965
Handy diagram from SKD-Tac
View attachment 680972

That's why I paid the extra for the XXL-XXXL

I have the XL Land CIRAS. The cummerbund is a little wonky looking on the back when at maximum girth :rolleyes: I might figure out and build a custom 2xl-3xl cummerbund to retrofit this type, or just get back to ruck marching and cycling to lose the belly :rolleyes: the 3A BALCS cut in XL size might be a bit spendy if I'm not looking at used.... although I'll need to check the hard plate pocket and see if its adjustable to fit a wide range of plates. The Diamondback PC I have for sale, is sized for 11x14ish L SAPI plates.

My armor is old, very old. Not sure how well it would actually stand up today, and it's just 2A. Same vest I wore when I had to wear one for work over 15 years ago. I'm sure Kevlar has a lifespan, but I've kept the vest in a cool dry place (closet) so it's probably still better than nothing. I've thought about getting newer stuff for myself and the wife, but its something that probably would never get used and would just piss $800 away between the two of us. That's a lot of ammo, a couple new guns, one and a half car payments... yeah there's much better ways for us to spend the cash right now.

Yes it is better that nothing. When they were coming up with some stuff to replace Kevlar they thought they had found some really great stuff. Co in Japan came up with one that I almost bought. Ads showed a guy wringing a vest out like a t shirt it was so light and flexible. Cost was about 3 times. Then the Co found out things like UV light degraded it. They put out warnings but some did not listen. Couple LEO's got shot and died, Lawyers sued Second Chance into bankruptcy over it. Other sellers stopped selling the stuff, never have seen it again. Suspect its still used but by those who can afford to use it a short time and discard it. Kevlar's main weak point in use. Bending/flexing and such. It does not break down sitting, it breaks down with use. I have a set of very old panels on 2A that are from almost 20 years ago I keep meaning to dig out. When they open the range again want to see if I can take them to see what they will do if shot now.

That's why I paid the extra for the XXL-XXXL
That is quite cheap for the protection. Probably not something many would want to wear daily but for that price something to at least have in a pinch.

I finally got a set from SafeLife. Now that I have tried it I have to say I am very impressed. Thanks to No_Regerts one of the group LEO's here for pointing to them. I had never heard of them but they make some very impressive armor. I was using a Level II and the IIA alternately at work. So when I tried this which is a multi threat IIIA I was impressed that it is close to the same comfort level for a hell of a lot more protection. One down side is the place must be lean and mean, they take a while to get to you. It was just over 1 month from the order to the delivery. May be a little longer now with this panic but, if you can wait they have nice stuff. This one if worn in an external carrier would be super easy to wear when needed or all day. Even under a shirt it's not bad at all for the level of protection.

Last Edited:
Easiest advice ever.

3 things to consider

1. Protection level equal or greater than your own carry piece. Can be levels 2,2a,3a, 3, 4+:rolleyes:

2. Comfort/weight. Generally lighter=more comfy but carrier should also be comfortable to wear.

3. Affordability. Can you afford it? Do the shop provide layaway? Got credit?

LA Police Gear in California have 10x12 ceramic plates; Level III for $95, Level IV for $100 ; both are Alumina ceramic with Polyethylene backing, in 600D polyester wrap... neither are on the NIJ Certified list; so buyer beware :confused:

RMA however has a set of Level IV NIJ Certified ceramic 10x12 plates for $270 for the pair plus shipping; or $135 + shipping.. their lighter Level III plates are way more money.

NIJ certified armor products
https://www.justnet.org/app/tims/CPLReport.aspx.

Edit. Use the above site to confirm that the armor you may be acquiring, is on the NIJ certified list.. I see there's some AR500 models and AR500 company is listed as having certified armor... may want to double check the models against this list... also, seems to be several Mexican and Chinese armor products on the list :eek:

Last Edited:
Oh last thing. Make sure the carrier fits the plate set you're getting :eek:

For example?
XL CIRAS made by Eagle Industries; it's sized to fit XL SPEAR BALCS armor, but is meant to fit 10.25x13.25 Large SAPI/ESAPI plates, no real adjustment on the inside for differing plate thicknesses or sizes

I have no idea who makes relatively affordable SAPI sized plates :s0054:

Part of me is like just keep the carrier as a display and make my own carrier to fit my body type and size :rolleyes:

I have body armor, four sets of it. One for me, one for the ex, and two more for our two kids.
All are Level 3A soft panels.

@Taco_lean, the official Domestic Bad Influence in residence here, turned me on to a shop where I bought two Level IV plates about a month ago.
They have not arrived yet...

Last Edited:
Get level IV name brand like M3. Don't waste your money on anything else.

No sir this is just isn't correct. There are different horses for different courses , and for good reason.

It really depends on what you're doing; having worn Level IV body armor daily for awhile, and for good reason while I was working in the middle east. I would not even consider doing the same in my every day comings and goings here in the states. If the time comes that I require Level IV plates on a day to day basis here domestically things have gone horribly wrong for me and probably for others as well.

Keep in mind I did not say there is no need to own Level IV armor , I am saying I do not need it on a day to day basis. There are much more comfortable , lighter and practical options for day to day use.

Of course I am not going to stand in the way of people prepping for the zombie apocalypse that feel like they need a MICH or ACH and level IV plates. for mowing the lawn etc.

Last Edited:
No sir this is just isn't correct. There are different horses for different courses , and for good reason.

It really depends on what you're doing; having worn Level IV body armor daily for awhile, and for good reason while I was working in the middle east. I would not even consider doing the same in my every day comings and goings here in the states. If the time comes that I require Level IV plates on a day to day basis here domestically things have gone horribly wrong for me and probably for others as well.

Keep in mind I did not say there is no need to own Level IV armor , I am saying I do not need it on a day to day basis. There are much more comfortable , lighter and practical options for day to day use.

Of course I am not going to stand in the way of people prepping for the zombie apocalypse that feel like they need a MICH or ACH and level IV plates. for mowing the lawn etc.
There's some talk of Polyethylene and similar composite lightweight Level "3" armor that apparently doesn't stop M855 green tip 62gr 5.56 rounds :confused: granted, Level 3 isn't supposed to be rated against M855 or M855A1 rounds :rolleyes:

There's some talk of Polyethylene and similar composite lightweight Level "3" armor that apparently doesn't stop M855 green tip 62gr 5.56 rounds :confused: granted, Level 3 isn't supposed to be rated against M855 or M855A1 rounds :rolleyes:

I had some Dynema plates that were level III back in about 2005 , that I was wearing in Baghdad but I was mostly indoors at the time in the IZ at the Iraqi Parliment building. FWIW those Dynema plates had to be worn in conjunction with soft armor to be Level III

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top