JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you invested in Body Armor?

• Yes

Votes: 105 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 45.6%

• Total voters
I am genuinely curious here. At what point should one start in terms of acquiring armor? How much and where should protection be optimized?
I mean, lets look at it this way... we can wear as much armor as we want to.. or we can focus on being as mobile as we need to be, with localized armor protection.

Helmet (K pot, ACH, MICH, etc)

Two armor plates (front and rear)

4 armor plates (same as above, plus sides)

6 armor plates ( same as above add groin and deltoid, or add shoulders)

8 armor plates (all of the above)

10 maybe ( add thigh armor?)

EOD blast suit. (Everything)

And thats not considering add ons like soft armor vests plus plates, or soft plates plus hard trauma/shock plates...

I see a lot of sites are advocating going to Level IV+ armor for the two main plates, I do wonder if this presumes drawn out, heavy gunfights with tactical support and majority rifle fire as opposed to ambushes with pistol caliber weapons (mobs and gangs)?

Some people are advocating going full battle rattle, even if just civilians; complete with 12+ magazines for rifle and 4+ pistols and a bug out bag thats larger than a FILBE...

But realistically? Are people seriously expecting to have to go full war fighting mode in case of emergencies? I seriously have questions about the likelihood of being "drafted" into a militia/defense unit right off the bat in disasters and the such... I do understand the principle of "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", and I do think concealable armor is a good start point... but to reject Level 2, 3A, 3 armor as being too light of protection?

What about using say a 6x6, 6x8, 9x9 Level 3 "side plate" on top of a Level 3A soft armor, concealed under a jacket? Would that make more sense, with the hard armor protecting a specific vital zone, and the soft armor being for all other threats? Or layering say a Level 3 hard armor over level 2 soft vest /carrier somehow?

This post made me laugh because I was thinking about all the armor options suggested in considering the possible weight of all of that and out the majority of people are not capable of sustaining or remotely being able to be effective moving in that type of gear considering the weight of such.

I think the main consensus is simply that if you are investing in firearms with the idea that you will defend yourself in your home with them then the idea of not being taken out by a single shot to the torso isn't such a bad idea considering armor options to stop those are relatively cheap.

Armor Protection level generally depends on how much weight a person wants to carry or bulk for that matter because if it's very light and still has a high rating that means it will be much thicker for someone who only ever plans or anticipates in countering pistol threats then a level IIIa soft armor Panel that weighs about a pound would do. Hence why people who work in security tend to have those level vests. I'd say many people find front and back plates to be enough, some include side plates, the number who get into groin, shoulder, and helmet is significantly less.

Mind you there is still a large amount of "body" exposed, but a PC covers the thorassic cavity which apart from the brain, is the most vital area to protect

Going back to my original intent of this post though the main point being that you can own $10,000 worth of guns and be taken out by a $.10 bullet that could have easily been stopped by a $200 set up of plates.

This post made me laugh because I was thinking about all the armor options suggested in considering the possible weight of all of that and out the majority of people are not capable of sustaining or remotely being able to be effective moving in that type of gear considering the weight of such.
Indeed. I keep seeing "protect as much of your body as you can, because why not?" (Mobility??)
I think the main consensus is simply that if you are investing in firearms with the idea that you will defend yourself in your home with them then the idea of not being taken out by a single shot to the torso isn't such a bad idea considering armor options to stop those are relatively cheap.
Very true. A simple soft vest, level 2 to 3A could be more useful at home in high crime areas, or in case of home invasions... remember that Second Chance's T15, K30, K47 steel/titanium trauma plates are all able to provide a Level III protection if worn with 3A soft armor... not sure what level estimate with Level 2 soft armor though.

Armor Protection level generally depends on how much weight a person wants to carry or bulk for that matter because if it's very light and still has a high rating that means it will be much thicker for someone who only ever plans or anticipates in countering pistol threats then a level IIIa soft armor Panel that weighs about a pound would do. Hence why people who work in security tend to have those level vests. I'd say many people find front and back plates to be enough, some include side plates, the number who get into groin, shoulder, and helmet is significantly less.
Military and security contractors usually get to have all those extra options, however as seen in the recent wars, the heaviest armored guys were usually the gunners on the trucks. Most of the light infantry troops wore soft armor plus plates but not groin and deltoid and arms. Some of the Marines and Special Operations guys wore just hard front/rear plates with either helmet or no helmet..
Mind you there is still a large amount of "body" exposed, but a PC covers the thorassic cavity which apart from the brain, is the most vital area to protect
Yes agreed here.
Going back to my original intent of this post though the main point being that you can own $10,000 worth of guns and be taken out by a $.10 bullet that could have easily been stopped by a $200 set up of plates.
I havent seen lightweight $200 set of level 3 or 4 plates... where are you finding these good deals? :p:cool: ar500 yeah... but those are way heavy..... and not always the best options? Again, I'm focusing on mobility with a minimum level of protection; that of front/rear plates when i can find them. I am however consing if it would make sense to somehow have lightweight level 3 "side plate", or the Second Chance steel or Titanium inserts plus 3A soft plate backers in a custom plate carrier that has pockets for both... sort of like the old police vests but not as encompassing?

Indeed. I keep seeing "protect as much of your body as you can, because why not?" (Mobility??)

Very true. A simple soft vest, level 2 to 3A could be more useful at home in high crime areas, or in case of home invasions... remember that Second Chance's T15, K30, K47 steel/titanium trauma plates are all able to provide a Level III protection if worn with 3A soft armor... not sure what level estimate with Level 2 soft armor though.

Military and security contractors usually get to have all those extra options, however as seen in the recent wars, the heaviest armored guys were usually the gunners on the trucks. Most of the light infantry troops wore soft armor plus plates but not groin and deltoid and arms. Some of the Marines and Special Operations guys wore just hard front/rear plates with either helmet or no helmet..

Yes agreed here.
I havent seen lightweight $200 set of level 3 or 4 plates... where are you finding these good deals? :p:cool: ar500 yeah... but those are way heavy..... and not always the best options? Again, I'm focusing on mobility with a minimum level of protection; that of front/rear plates when i can find them. I am however consing if it would make sense to somehow have lightweight level 3 "side plate", or the Second Chance steel or Titanium inserts plus 3A soft plate backers in a custom plate carrier that has pockets for both... sort of like the old police vests but not as encompassing?

The lightweight 3+ steel 10x12 plates (to me) don't feel too heavy, and when you get them on Black Friday sale they are about $200 for both.

The level 3 polyethylene armor that weigh 3.5 pounds each are $200 a piece on sale, but they are significantly thicker compared to the steel. Depending on the distance you want to run, I prefer steel because it is less bulky despite the weight, but I'm on the younger side than seemingly most members here.

If you were hiking around the mountains you'd want the ultra light armor, stuff to throw on at your house, doesn't matter as much.

I actually find the 10x12 plates to be smaller than desired for my torso and I went with the 11x14. My PC, with 6x8 side plates, and 11x14 3a soft armor behind the plates 11x14 plates with mags, all comes out to 35 pounds. When you pick it up compared to the polyethylene options, can't help but laugh at the difference, but I've severely tested the weight of it, even played tennis with it on, it works for me. Would I climb any mountains with it on? nope! - at least not while carrying a ton of other stuff.

Theres this ebay seller located in Springfield Oregon... he has what appears to be homemade "Level IIIA " kevlar plates in various sizes, from $58 to $108(pair of 10x12s)... I am really not sure I can trust the ad.. because it shows multiple layers of a yellow fiber, presumably older kevlar weave.. and cutting, and so on.. no brand tags or anything, just ink stamps of "Threat Level IIIA"... but it got me thinking about that aforementioned combination of 3A soft plates and steel or titanium trauma plate inserts, even if its relatively light but bulky compared to AR500 steel armor... I have a specific carrier for the armor inserts that I want to at least make use of... and if it enables me to stay mobile with more ammo and water on my person, and possibky rucksack as well? I would want something light enough to be comfortable in.

There's a wealth of great input in the topic, from all involved.
Some, really stand out with the words they share.

Sure I can (and have been) click the "thanks" button.
I figure this is more deserved.

On that,
Thanks

I'm NO LONGER teetering on the fence.
Quote EDITED
It took several events to jump off the fence.
Better to have and not need.
I said a few words with my maker, just in case.

Multi Curve Body Armor Ceramic Tile-Silicon Carbide (RB-SiC), Size: 10" x 12.25" | eBay

Okay so I've been trolling ebay and comparing prices and items.... :rolleyes:

Here's something notable; from the description..

Silicon Carbide ceramic plate being sold on this listing MUST be laminated to Kevlar, UHMWPE, and/or E/S Glass backings to desired level of protection (III, III+, IV, Special, etc.) *

Got me wondering... with the cost of raw aramid/kevlar fabric.. how many layers, what kind of epoxy resin, and how much time to cure the resin would one need? I know the traditional soft armor uses 28+ layers of Kevlar/aramid fabric to meet a specific armor level...

On the other hand, just wrap the ceramic in fiberglass cloth then resin then line-x it?
Add foam?
What strikes me as unusual is that there are no online articles nor info on finishing the plates :eek: I can't say I would feel comfortable doing the work myself without at least putting two Level 3a soft plates or 1 soft and 1 hard with the bare ceramic panel in between and then coat it/wrap it.. :eek::s0001:

Edit. It may be much more economical to order RTS Tactical sales plates, Botach's sales, or LAPG (LA Police Gear)'s plates :rolleyes:

Groin shot. Femoral arteries. :eek::s0001:

Bleeds out to death just as quick as a jugular shot :confused:

Yes I was trying not to be overly brutal sounding but yes. A hit to the gut or pelvic girdle is very good for slowing down even zombies on drugs. For those not so high they can't feel pain it's a debilitating painful place to be shot. If close enough to the scum I was shooting, especially if I was using a PCC, I would tend to aim high and low. Aim for the base of the neck and or belt. Both of these will often miss the soft armor if the scum is wearing it.

Yes I was trying not to be overly brutal sounding but yes. A hit to the gut or pelvic girdle is very good for slowing down even zombies on drugs. For those not so high they can't feel pain it's a debilitating painful place to be shot. If close enough to the scum I was shooting, especially if I was using a PCC, I would tend to aim high and low. Aim for the base of the neck and or belt. Both of these will often miss the soft armor if the scum is wearing it.
A 10mm hollowpoint out of a PCC running hot loads from Buffalo Bore or Underwood might be quite devastating to any limb, main body, or organs

A 10mm hollowpoint out of a PCC running hot loads from Buffalo Bore or Underwood might be quite devastating to any limb, main body, or organs

The 10mm in a PCC is a great home gun. One of mine is that. That will even with decent soft armor hurt the person you shoot, giving you a chance to make better hits if needed. One of these round to the base of the neck is of course going to shut the switch off. To the pelvic area good chance they will at least no longer be standing. Of course most of use are often out and about with something much smaller but, at home, I love the PCC. Even Wife has taken to refreshing herself on her favorite. If they open the damn range again she wants to try the little AR pistol now. I was happy to hear that, now just need the damn range open:mad:

Since many scum are now caught wearing soft armor I often practice being able to hit at belt level. MUCH larger target and still devastating area to be shot. May not stop them but will give a good chance of putting them on the ground.
So you're saying it's good that I shoot low and to the left!
:rolleyes: :s0155:

My armor is old, very old. Not sure how well it would actually stand up today, and it's just 2A. Same vest I wore when I had to wear one for work over 15 years ago. I'm sure Kevlar has a lifespan, but I've kept the vest in a cool dry place (closet) so it's probably still better than nothing. I've thought about getting newer stuff for myself and the wife, but its something that probably would never get used and would just piss $800 away between the two of us. That's a lot of ammo, a couple new guns, one and a half car payments... yeah there's much better ways for us to spend the cash right now.

My armor is old, very old. Not sure how well it would actually stand up today, and it's just 2A. Same vest I wore when I had to wear one for work over 15 years ago. I'm sure Kevlar has a lifespan, but I've kept the vest in a cool dry place (closet) so it's probably still better than nothing. I've thought about getting newer stuff for myself and the wife, but its something that probably would never get used and would just piss $800 away between the two of us. That's a lot of ammo, a couple new guns, one and a half car payments... yeah there's much better ways for us to spend the cash right now.
One and a half car payments!
:s0114::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews