JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Have you invested in Body Armor?

• Yes

Votes: 105 54.4%
  • No

Votes: 88 45.6%

• Total voters
Curious if others have made this investment and what if any wisdom you might be able to bestow on those of us that would like more info on the subject....
1) Have you made the investment?
2) What level did you decide on and why?

View attachment 564120

I do not have any body armor and I do not plan on getting any for myself.

My MT husband does not have body armor.

I have heard in person (Face to face.) and read 'online' that some people do buy body armor and use it in drills. Many of these people are ex military folks too.

Cate

Here's what I got for my kids, Sentry Shield level IIIA. Rated to stop 9mm, 44 mag and 357 Sig. Very light weight and flexible. About 80 bucks. Free shipping at the time.
SentryShield® Level IIIA Bulletproof Backpack Insert - Sentry Shield USA

View attachment 564218

I have read about these shields for children and their backpacks.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Lady Cate
(I never had children but having a shield/backpack where the child could move this around in a bad situation is a good idea.)

I have read about these shields for children and their backpacks.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Lady Cate
(I never had children but having a shield/backpack where the child could move this around in a bad situation is a good idea.)

I carry an AR500 plate in my book bag/back pack. Don't hardly notice it's there...

My career work places are almost 100% gun free zones.

Been using it for decades, mostly for work. Level II. Last two times I replaced it I went middle of the road cost wise. The main difference is comfort. The more "flexible and light" it is the more it tends to cost. The one all have a place to add plates if I ever wanted to, never have. I several years ago tried an external carrier. Looks like a shirt with no sleeves. FAR more comfortable. I liked them so much I bought an extra. Use one with an old vest for when I go to the range.
Now if you want to ultimate in comfort you can get them custom fit to you, like having a suit made. I have found with an external carrier I can wear it for 12 hours and forget I have it on. When I was using it under a shirt it was OK when it was not hot. In summer it was not much fun. In winter it was nice, kept me warmer.

What brand did you go with that you can wear for 12hrs?

Screenshot_20190410-140232_Chrome.jpg

Only $187. Not sure how good, but i have been very impressed with their targets

View attachment 568202

Only $187. Not sure how good, but i have been very impressed with their targets
Looks a little small on the front/back... number of MOLLE slots on the front is enough to slot a single, triple shingle magazine pouch... 3 mags wide. For a normal tactical profile carrier, that may be a little bit on the small side for the cummerbund part. As an aside, that works out to 9 inches wide on the flap; which leaves a lot to be desired on side coverage, should it be found to be too small for a size L human. May be barely enough for Size M human t shirt, maybe right size for a normal girl/woman... again, like I said, it just looks a little small. Likely it only fits S/M plates (8x10-9×12 approx size). I dont know how small/skinny or how large/beefy you are. I would rather get a decent quality, properly fitted carrier first and add the plates to it.

Looks a little small on the front/back... number of MOLLE slots on the front is enough to slot a single, triple shingle magazine pouch... 3 mags wide. For a normal tactical profile carrier, that may be a little bit on the small side for the cummerbund part. As an aside, that works out to 9 inches wide on the flap; which leaves a lot to be desired on side coverage, should it be found to be too small for a size L human. May be barely enough for Size M human t shirt, maybe right size for a normal girl/woman... again, like I said, it just looks a little small. Likely it only fits S/M plates (8x10-9×12 approx size). I dont know how small/skinny or how large/beefy you are. I would rather get a decent quality, properly fitted carrier first and add the plates to it.
Thank's, I do like their standard size compared to the swimmers cut, just because of coverage

What brand did you go with that you can wear for 12hrs?
The last two I bought were made by 2nd Chance (before he went under from being sued and came back) and the most recent is Galls store brand showing it shows was done by Point Blank. Both feel the same to me. The main difference in comfort came from using an external carrier instead of wearing it under a shirt. Under the shirt they were both fine when inside where there is AC and outside if it was not hot. In winter it was actually nice as it helps keep you warm. Now when it got hot outside it was miserable but living in the PNW did not have much of that. A couple summers ago I tried an external carrier intending on using it just for the summer. It was so damn nice I stayed with it year round. When you shop this stuff you can compare the Level protection vs how much it weighs per SQ inch. Lighter is of course better. Then there is some that is no longer Kevlar. They made some great strides here but this is also what got Second Chance sued under. One they came up with was super flexible and light, and of course much more expensive. I almost bought one at one time. Later they found the stuff degraded from UV light and a couple LEO's got shot and the vest failed. Here came the lawyers.
Bottom line the carrier will make a HUGE difference in comfort even on lower end stuff. If it fits well and can breath you will be able to wear it longer and forget its there.

Last Edited:
The last two I bought were made by 2nd Chance (before he went under from being sued and came back) and the most recent is Galls store brand showing it was done by Point Blank. Both feel the same it me. The main difference is comfort came from using an external carrier instead of wearing it under a shirt. Under the shirt they were both fine when inside where there is AC and outside if it was not hot. In winter it was actually nice as it helps keep you warm. Now when it got hot outside it was miserable but living in the PNW did not have much of that. A couple summers ago I tried an external carrier intending on using it just for the summer. It was so damn nice I stayed with it year round. When you shop this stuff you can compare the Level protection vs how much it weighs per SQ inch. Lighter is of course better. Then there is some that is no longer Kevlar. They made some great strides here but this is also what got Second Chance sued under. One they came up with was super flexible and light, and of course much more expensive. I almost bought one at one time. Later they found the stuff degraded from UV light and a couple LEO's got shot and the vest failed. Here came the lawyers.
Bottom line the carrier will make a HUGE difference in comfort even on lower end stuff. If it fits well and can breath you will be able to wear it longer and forget its there.
Thank you

I bought IIA body armor back when they were looking at banning it back in the mid-90's
I took it to a class at Front Sight during late Spring when they were still in Bakersfield
It was hot and restrictive of my movement. I took it off the afternoon of the first day.
I still have it, but I'd probably throw it on my wife if SHTF. (She isn't a shooter)

I wear Galls IIIA (Model #GX-IIIA) front and back soft armor in a Point Blank carrier for work.

For personal / training / "SHTF" I wear AT Armor STOP Plates (Roughly III+ threat level protection) front and back with AT Armor kevlar IIIA backers in a Spiritus Systems OVERT front and COVERT back.

Yes. The investment is worth it for any one who uses firearms for any thing more than a "hobby." If you use firearms in a professional setting, you should be training in body armor. If you are a concerned citizen, you should be training in body armor. Don't skimp out on it either. Get ceramic plates instead of that steel core armor.

I wear a IIA every day at work. Hate it but it would be kind of stupid to get killed or laid up in hospital for lack of wearing it. I know it only protects a small area of your body but its better than nothing. I always kind of snicker when I see a gun video showing some high speed training where the students are not wearing body armor. CCW training is one thing, you are in a low threat environment and not expecting to get in a fight. Something like a two gun or three gun match where you are fighting with rifle or shotgun? You obviously were expecting trouble and you don't wear body armor? That seems pretty ignorant to me.

Even John Wick wears body armor... :)

I am genuinely curious here. At what point should one start in terms of acquiring armor? How much and where should protection be optimized?
I mean, lets look at it this way... we can wear as much armor as we want to.. or we can focus on being as mobile as we need to be, with localized armor protection.

Helmet (K pot, ACH, MICH, etc)

Two armor plates (front and rear)

4 armor plates (same as above, plus sides)

6 armor plates ( same as above add groin and deltoid, or add shoulders)

8 armor plates (all of the above)

10 maybe ( add thigh armor?)

EOD blast suit. (Everything)

And thats not considering add ons like soft armor vests plus plates, or soft plates plus hard trauma/shock plates...

I see a lot of sites are advocating going to Level IV+ armor for the two main plates, I do wonder if this presumes drawn out, heavy gunfights with tactical support and majority rifle fire as opposed to ambushes with pistol caliber weapons (mobs and gangs)?

Some people are advocating going full battle rattle, even if just civilians; complete with 12+ magazines for rifle and 4+ pistols and a bug out bag thats larger than a FILBE...

But realistically? Are people seriously expecting to have to go full war fighting mode in case of emergencies? I seriously have questions about the likelihood of being "drafted" into a militia/defense unit right off the bat in disasters and the such... I do understand the principle of "better to have and not need, than to need and not have", and I do think concealable armor is a good start point... but to reject Level 2, 3A, 3 armor as being too light of protection?

What about using say a 6x6, 6x8, 9x9 Level 3 "side plate" on top of a Level 3A soft armor, concealed under a jacket? Would that make more sense, with the hard armor protecting a specific vital zone, and the soft armor being for all other threats? Or layering say a Level 3 hard armor over level 2 soft vest /carrier somehow?

Something I really haven't seen mentioned is the shelf life of different fibers used in soft armor.

Anyone know or have links to information about this?

Something I really haven't seen mentioned is the shelf life of different fibers used in soft armor.

Anyone know or have links to information about this?
NIJ simply says 5 years service life for soft armors, regardless of what fiber. The following all impacts usable life of soft armor;
1. UV exposure
2. Body fluids such as sweat and blood
3. Heat
4. Abrasion wear
5. Folding wear
6. Tears

Obviously, some soft armor performs better than others in terms of service life... however.. there was a recent scandal related to the rapid breakdown and failure of P.E. (Spectra and Dyneema? Zylon? Not sure. ) soft armor fibers in heat...
Seems consensus was that pure Kevlar and Aramid fiber armor (more expensive) lasted much longer and had a longer usable life, provided that they were well cared for.. as in stored flat, out of direct sunlight, and in stable room temps, instead of high heat. But they do break down after continual exposure to sweat and such, usually the body oils and salt in the sweat; which is why the 5 year life. Hard armor does not have such a problem, only need x ray check ups 6 months to a year for ceramic SAPI types.

Edit; just keeping soft armor in the trunk of a car, or in a locker on a truck, will degrade the armor faster than if stored in a closet. Better to keep hard armor in the vehicle, while having soft armor+plate in the house

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top