JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
PSU alerted students and staff Thursday morning that Rantila was wanted for "questioning for the unlawful possession of body armor and firearms."
I did not think that body armor was against the law, is it ???

I find it absolutely stupid that a felon can't posses body armor. Bad things happen to all kinds of people doesn't matter if you're a felon or not. To deny someone of an item that could save their lives even if it may not be practical is just stupid.

Being convicted and in control of the state = no body armor then OK. But once their term of incarceration is completed? WTF. Just because someone is a felon, doesn't mean they have given up all their rights.
This is one of those "easy" laws - they appear tough on crime, but the victims of the law are unsympathetic so know one really cares they are being victimized. Doesn't make it right tho.

By in control of the state I mean things like: probation, charged and released pending trial (for a different crime), on parole. And the like.

<snip> Just because someone is a felon, doesn't mean they have given up all their rights. </snip>

Actually, if you are a convicted felon you lose your rights. Voting, owning firearms, and several others. Has been that way for a long long time. You have to actually go to court to get those rights back.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of pretty girls.

Some rights, like voting and serving on juries are not in the list, those are a responsibility of being a citizen.
Do felons have no rights to education? housing? food? medical assistance? transportation?

While the person is under control, then yes their rights are greatly diminished. After they have been re-rehabilitated, why don't they get back their suspended rights? If they are not really rehabilitated, then why would they be released?

Some rights, like voting and serving on juries are not in the list, those are a responsibility of being a citizen. Do felons have no rights to education? housing? food? medical assistance? transportation?

While the person is under control, then yes their rights are greatly diminished. After they have been re-rehabilitated, why don't they get back their suspended rights? If they are not really rehabilitated, then why would they be released?

Well, one might argue that no citizen has a right to education, housing, food, transportation or medical assistance. They have a right to pursuit such things, but no entitlement to just be given them. Of course this is a fairly obtuse discussion, and I'll drop it.

The key is that the country, at some point, made the decision that your time served isn't enough to get your rights back if you commit a felony. I mean fully served, your jail sentence and parole time. That until you go through several hoops you don't get any of your rights back. Perhaps this is a reflection on our faith in the penal system to actually rehabilitate people?

While in theory, yes I would hire a more qualified convicted felon who served their time over a less qualified non-felon. Of course, why risk it? If you are convicted of a felony many doors close on you for the rest of your life. That is how it works in our system.

If you don't like this, you can work to change it. I'm sure you can find the multiple drunk drivers, drug dealers, pedophiles, murders, and rapists who has done their time and would really appreciate someone to take up fight for their rights to be reinstated automatically after they serve their time.

Of course, all of these convicted felons could just go into politics. Apparently, we the people, will elect anyone.

I put the blame on the criminal when they did the crime they accepted the consequences of their actions. They threw thier own rights away. I feel no sympathy for them.

I put the blame on the criminal when they did the crime they accepted the consequences of their actions. They threw thier own rights away. I feel no sympathy for them.
Want to take a guess as to why we have so many repeat offenders?
Prison is intended to be the punishment. When their time is up the punishment should be over but it's not. Instead they must face the consequences of something they already payed for, for the rest of their life.
If they can't be trusted with a gun, voting, no parole, etc then why were they let out?
When someone is released from prison they shouldn't continue paying for their crime, that's the point of prison.

Then pass a bill stating that all violent offenders will recive the death penalty and I will sign it and even provide some of the ammunition - but no they dont autmatically get their rights back. Say some one shoots a family member of mine, intentionally while committing a crime and kills them. - The criminal spends 24 years in jail paying for thier crime nd hen gets released - my family member is not ever coming back. To me they have not paid for thier crme. They sure as heck should not get any of thier rights back. Dont like my opinion - too bad.

Then pass a bill stating that all violent offenders will recive the death penalty and I will sign it and even provide some of the ammunition - but no they dont autmatically get their rights back. Say some one shoots a family member of mine, intentionally while committing a crime and kills them. - The criminal spends 24 years in jail paying for thier crime nd hen gets released - my family member is not ever coming back. To me they have not paid for thier crme. They sure as heck should not get any of thier rights back. Dont like my opinion - too bad.
That's the great thing about living in this country. I don't have to like your opinion and you don't have to like mine. And you're right.
Under the scenario you presented the person absolutely did not pay for their crime and should not have been let out.
I guess I should have clarified that my op didn't apply to all violent offenders. Murderers have no place in society and should either stay in prison or be executed. But someone who made a mistake and assaulted another in the commission of a crime does not automatically deserve to lose all Rights forever.
Reformation does occur and we need to help those people. But why do non-violent offenders get treated the same as murderers?

To me assault is a violent crime. Your liable to get shot for it if you do it to the wrong person. We let people out of prison for many different things - such as too many in prison - funding issues - in no way does that mean those individuals completed thier time only that they needed to be moved on to become someone elses problem, again.

If you drive your buddy to the store, or even less of a connection, some guy you have seen around the block, and he says "stick em up" to the clerk who has a heart attack, guess who could be gone for murder. You. So, while I understand the reason behind this stupidity, I can never say lock them up forever, or murder (pre-planned homicide) them in the name of justice.

If you dont know your friends better than that - then life is going to be problematic for you. The people that I choose to call my freinds I would give my house key to. I dont like most people and there are very few I call my friend. I wonder how many of these individuals that support felons rights are or were felons at one time. I do not beleive in retoring a felons rights, period. There are choices in life that last your lifetime - to me this is one of them. The last thing I want is a convicted felon with a firearm.

ClintIronVest.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads