JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at a set of Steel Armor Body Plates, listed as Level III protection...does anyone know if ALL steel body are Level III as a stand alone or are some only Level III with a supporting vest?

Seller doesn't know...just curious if universal rule applied here on steel ones.

thanks!

This is info that I have gathered from my research on this area.

I have one of these - it is level IV it is a ceramic plate it was manufactured Feb of 2008. It was $149 shipped. It will handled most small arms threats ( Including .30-06 Armor Piercing rounds)

Some of the new flexible dyenam thin flexible body armor plates (Sp??)the .556 with SS penatrators (green tips) will not be stopped. They are also heat sensitive. ( You can't store them in a Car trunk)

With Steel plate you have to worry about bullet splatter and ricochet. It is more than just common 1/2" steel plate it has to be ballistic steel and it an alloy with Cr Ni and other metal and is T&Q & H (Tempered, quenched and Harden) Close to 4130 -4140 Steel.

But I can punch holes in 1/2" Mild steel plate with my Mosin Nagant.
1/2" plate is I think about 10-12# per Sq Ft'. Yet even with plate your limited to multiple hits as well - but it is not as sensitive to drops or moisture as much as ceramic ( Ceramic Aluminium Oxide - the same stuff on sand paper ( the AlumOxide ).

Yet most of the threats that you will ever face on the streets of America can be stopped with a IIa vest - It is lighter and more flexible and your more likely to wear it. While the rifle plate may save your life - You may break a few ribs if hit by a rifle round the Energy and Velocity it what will take you out of commission.

<broken link removed>

You can use it in an OTV / IBA carrier ( the interceptor system that the US Military uses or for $29 a stand alone low vis plate carrier Here:

<broken link removed>

If your looking for Cheap fairly effective body armor - ( something that people are going to know that your wearing

See these interesting test of the US ARMY PASGT VEST and GERMAN Flectran vest - I picked a new one with the newer tighter weave Armid made in 1995 for $49 a month ago from centerfire systems <broken link removed>

TEST results
<broken link removed> PASGT VEST Pre-2000

<broken link removed> German Flak Vest - It is flak but it also handles a lot of handgun .45, 9mm etc.

Even the new ESAPI - the soft insert in the OTV IBA vest are not NIJ 2004 IIIa rated - but they will stop the 9mm SMG ( i.e Uzi and High Velocity 9mm rounds)

I also have one made in 1987 - I dyed the carrier with black dye from Walmart.

I find that the Germans offer the best coverage and fit better.

For $50 - it will handle the great majority of handgun threats.

I guess that it all depends on what you need it for. Even with a IIIa MICH/PASGAT Helmet - your dead with most rifle rounds.

These are my test of 1/4" plate steel.

I mic'd the holes .30 caliber left almost .5" or 1/2" holes.

I know that they are not clear - but the bottom hole is 7.62x39 FMJ ( Wolf I think) and the upper is 7.62x54R (FMJ) and the indents are M1 Carbine FMJ

I shot these about about 5-7 yards. The second photo the edge shot was M1 carbine ( where the Metal split apart) that gives you an Idea of the power behind a small rifle round. the M1 Carbine is only about 12.5 Gr of powder twice that of many pistol rounds but about 1/4th the charge of the .30-06 or the 7.62x54R both of those can run 42-55 Gr of powder.

Just my .02 and my personal experince. Phone books and water jugs are impressive but holes in steel impress me a little bit more that paper ( even if it is 3" of Yellow pages)

Clickables to enlarge

th_IMG_7711.jpg th_IMG_7705.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews