JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guy's so I did a little searching before I decided to post a thread, I've finally decided to create a nice bug out bag, I was thinking rather than using a traditional backpack, one of those military duffle bags would be great since it has shoulder straps and it can carry quite the load, anyways long story short there are TONS of threads about making one, with that being said is there any specific one I should look at? Or just mix and match between them? any input would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, go with the smallest bag you can get away with... survival is kinda like flying, you never want to run out of airspeed and altitude at the same time. Lighten the load and keep the speed up.

Since I travel a lot of work, I carry my "bob" with me everywhere, because it's everything I need to keep me going. Generally I break it down into several bags:

1) High value bag - This should be the smallest bag you have, but it should contain all of the really high value items, GPS, handgun, med kit, ammo, flashlights, batteries, radios, etc. I never leave this bag in a car, I had one stolen some years ago, afterwards I calculated out what was stolen, and it was about $3k worth of stuff. Keep it small and keep it with you. If it's not on your side, it should be somewhere safe.
2) Sustainment - This is a bigger bag, but it contains most of the stuff I need to keep myself going... pants, bivvy rolls (socks, underwear, shirt), rain/sun gear, fleece bag liner, bivvy bag (tyvek sack to sleep in), notebook, etc. I use a molle 2 backpack. Also my cook kit rides on the side. I usually stuff some bonuses like more batteries, snacks etc. I also usually try to stuff my tac vest in here, along with spare mags and more ammo.
3) INCH (I'm not coming home) - This is my really big bag, I went with the molle 2 rucksack since the other two bags attach to it, and the whole thing can be carried together. This contains stuff I would need if SHTF, a tent, sleeping bag, and all the really bulky items that won't fit in the sustainment bag. This usually contains low value bulky items so you can keep it in your car.

The idea with all 3 bags is, if you need more speed you can ditch the heavier stuff without having to reconfigure, while at the same time still having the things you may need to either trade for replacements later, or won't compromise your survival, even if it compromises your comfort. If you don't have a sleeping bag, you won't be comfortable, but if you can make a fire you won't die.

Again, the most important aspect, only carry what you need. People like to load these things up with everything. The best way to get your bag setup is load up your bag, and then go for a walk, set a reasonable goal like 2-5 miles on flat ground (this is about how much ground you should be able to cover in a day), if you're regretting loading the bag up after the first mile, it may be time to rethink what's in there.

BOB makes a really good stroller.... some folks bags are so heavy they need one.
I use a get home bag , with all the other stuff in my garage.
Bugging out is a super crazy last option for me.

Derbarb', that duffle bag will kill your back and sholders! Are you planning to dig to the bottom to find an item? Those things were designed to carry your gear, often both combat and civies, from the bus to the plane, ship, barracks or whatever. Get quality packs! If money is an issue, and it should be, given that we are talking that level of quality, there are a couple of options. One is Boring Surplus (I think that's the name, it's the surplus store in Boring). If they still have them they sell military backpacks at a very attractive price. A number of our fellow members have raved about the quality/price of these bags! The route that I took was to purchase our packs from REI's online outlet store. These packs are state of the art, top quality and at a huge price reduction! My wifes is a North Face and mine is a Alps Engineering. Big, very well laid out, fully adjustable harness and a good warranty! Best of luck to you!

Oops! My bad! Didn't catch the WA. Sorry!

Last Edited:
Actually, from seattle, there are a few good surplus stores down at the gate to lewis/mcchord, there's one place that's a white house, completely covered in stuff... with an asian couple there. They will usually have what you're looking for, not the cheapest store, but better than the place across the street (yellow building, great selection, high prices).

Warning my post is written poorly and composed from the male perspective.

I have a "DHDBS" because I don't bug out anymore.

The Dog House Deployment Bag System is comprised of 3 bags from Tactical Tailor.

The level-one bag is the Removable Operator Pack, a quick grab-and-go bag with enough stuff inside to ensure my comfort and keep me entertained for a day. Reasons for deploying the bag may vary from failing on complimenting a new hairstyle to accidental use of "I don't care..." or even something so simple as "Yes, I think your Sister is pretty..." It is important that you keep a spare house key in the grab-and-go bag as it may be difficult to locate keys while dodging whatever items she has in her hands at the time of your departure. The bag is tough enough to shield your head as you slide out the door while under fire and verbal assault.

The level-two bag is the Extended Range Operator Pack, this is the "I am hoofing it because she slashed my tires bag." You might want to put a decent first-aid kit in this one because you are likely to have a few bumps and bruises. First-aid should be started immediately... a pint of vodka and spicy tomato juice will suffice until you can make it to the hotel bar. If you clicked the link on the bag above, you noticed that the level-one and level-two bags can be attached. I keep a <broken link removed> in the level-two bag just incase my bar tab cuts into lodging funds and I have to couch crash.

The level-three bag is their Rolling Duffle and my "Getting Some Distance from her via PDX International" bag. This thing is a freighter and is used when the house is on fire... figuratively or literally. It has everything I need to survive during the "B-R-R-P" pronounced burp...Broken Relationship Relocation Process. Change of address cards, second sleep system layer ( <broken link removed> ), sleep pad ( <broken link removed> ), Walkstool Comfort 55 (for waiting in lines or begging on the streets in comfort), a piece of cardboard, a Sharpie, and my travel clothes (flip-flops, cargo shorts, a plain white tee, and a hat to collect change).

All of these bags open in a way that you can access the contents without unloading everything else. The Removable Operator Pack has a hydration pocket (you'll need water after those Bloody Marys). The Rolling Duffle has side pockets that accommodate a carbine length firearm (to defend yourself if the restraining order doesn't work). The only problem I have with the bags is the tactical appearance.

Enjoy,
MTpockets

I apologize in closing for all punctuation and grammar in the above posting.

Sounds like your life is much more like a country song than mine is... All my stuff gets used when I go hunting or camping, so I use it constantly. I've even used it a few times where I was too tired/lazy to keep driving for 24+ hours at a whack.

^^^^Dear, ah kin survive anythin' but yeww!
Ma packs are all loaded 'cause yew make me blue!
Ah'll go to the dog house if yew want me to!
Jist me an' ma forum an' ol Rover too!

Sorry, weird mood today.

Last Edited:
Again, the most important aspect, only carry what you need. People like to load these things up with everything. The best way to get your bag setup is load up your bag, and then go for a walk, set a reasonable goal like 2-5 miles on flat ground (this is about how much ground you should be able to cover in a day), if you're regretting loading the bag up after the first mile, it may be time to rethink what's in there.

:s0155:

The best way to get your bag setup is load up your bag, and then go for a walk, set a reasonable goal like 2-5 miles on flat ground (this is about how much ground you should be able to cover in a day), if you're regretting loading the bag up after the first mile, it may be time to rethink what's in there.

That is a good way but I would say the "best" way is to take up backpacking. I suggest the lake Waptus to Spade lake trail in the Cascades ;). I can pack a lot of weight over flat ground for a long time but climbing a couple k in elevation while climbing over/under around fallen trees and boulders made me take a long hard look at my pack (doubles as a bob), that I wouldn't have any other way.

I second the military surplus. I bought a used usmc pack for$39.99 and it's as comfortable as my eberlestock. U can load it with small packs inside. Or fill it up as much as u feel necessary. Hydration compatible, internal frame, molls webbing. U can't beat the price

I second the military surplus. I bought a used usmc pack for$39.99 and it's as comfortable as my eberlestock. U can load it with small packs inside. Or fill it up as much as u feel necessary. Hydration compatible, internal frame, molls webbing. U can't beat the price

Careful with MilSurp. I took and ALICE pack on a 4 day hike from Indian Heaven to Takhlakh Lake in SW Washington. When I got home I gave that pack away and bought a Osprey pack.

As Slimer13 says above; before settling on equipment, take it backpacking for a long weekend first.

The ALICE pack, which is often held up as the gold standard in SHTF packs is really quite horrible. It's at best 1950's ergonomics and materials. The new USMC ILBE is a fantastic internal frame pack, IIRC it's being made by one of the "gucci" pack makers that people regularly pay $300+ for at REI.

I liked the army's Molle II pack system a bit better, in that it's an external frame pack, that I can tie all my crap to, it's surprisingly comfortable even with 100lbs in it. Not that I would want to carry that any distance, but it's good to know that if for some reason I had to carry around a bag of concrete I could.

Whichever pack you choose should FIT! If it doesn't fit then it's garbage.

I layer my GHB kit in three layers: pack (Rucksack & EDC lumbar pack), web (RIBZ and Hill People Gear Runner's Kit Bag), pockets. Still working on getting the layers to comply with each other, but you get the idea.

Hey guy's sorry for not responding a bit earlier I really appreciate all of your input. So per your advice I've scrapped the military duffel bag idea, I'm seriously looking at the USMC ILBE it looks like a great pack. I think I've come up with a solid list of stuff to bring but I'm hitting the hay so I'll post that up tomorrow morning, thanks again.

-Barb

My BOB ALICE with molle waist pad. My military duffle is in my closet ready to be stuffed with some clothes if bugging with the rig.
I do like the modular approach but beyond the current sequestration of my funds for FY 2014.

Brutus Out

I have carried a GHB in my trucks since 1998, I checked my bag last week and saw that the fabric had pulled past the seam leaving a rip, so now I need a new bag around 2500CU Inches.
My bag is a 48hr bag, shelter, woolies and lots of ready to eat food to keep blood sugar high

search you tube for "USK: Urban Survival Kit" by nutnfancy. That kit could be over kill for most situations. Try to keep a thumb drive with scanned copy of your drivers ID, SSN card passport and any other documents that can be used to ID you if you get curtailed at a check point or aid center.

The new USMC ILBE is a fantastic internal frame pack, IIRC it's being made by one of the "gucci" pack makers that people regularly pay $300+ for at REI.

Yes it was designed by Arc'teryx. USMC rejected it because of body armor issues, but they are usable packs.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/422624_Info_on_the_USMC_ilbe_gen_2_main_and_assault_packs.html

Sometimes the assault pack, main pack and hydration carrier combo sell for as low as $50 on ebay. There's also lot auctions of three of the combos which sell for $60-100, which is just $20 per combo. Good deal, considering some milsurp stores sell them for $250 each.

Be sure the main pack includes the hip belt and its size matches you.

Does the Main Pack work for a BoB? To me, it's too bulky and conspicuous. The main pack is designed for an overloaded soldier with 120 lbs of antiquated, heavy USMC gear and a mortar round in the side pocket. The empty pack alone weighs over 8lbs, as much as a battle rifle. At minimum, cut down the extra straps and metal handles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top