JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone ever done a dry/test run for your bag and your plans? I'm considering doing one for my GHB, I work in Portland and live outside of Salem so my trek home would be a multi-day affair.

I was thinking of doing a dry run by getting off work at the end of the week, going home, grabbing my GHB and going on a 5-10 mile walk up the road and back home again. Then trek out to the oak grove in the back of the field at home, set up camp out of my GHB and spend the night.

Has anyone tried something similar?

Has anyone ever done a dry/test run for your bag and your plans? I'm considering doing one for my GHB, I work in Portland and live outside of Salem so my trek home would be a multi-day affair.

I was thinking of doing a dry run by getting off work at the end of the week, going home, grabbing my GHB and going on a 5-10 mile walk up the road and back home again. Then trek out to the oak grove in the back of the field at home, set up camp out of my GHB and spend the night.

Has anyone tried something similar?
I was thinking of this very thing! Only my would bring me to the coast and I have to TrackBack. Mine would be with in the next month or so because my get home bag idea is Designed towards the winter.

Yes its called backpacking did a bunch of it in High school and college
Not quite what I was talking about, but there ya go.
This is a sure way to figure out if your gear really works. Camping out near home is not going to test your gear like back country backpacking will, especially in the elements/terrain the PNW has to offer.

Between the many miles of back country backpacking and working in the elements/outdoors the last 30 yrs. has afforded me the knowledge that one does not need a ton of gear to survive a few days trying to get home.

A good 2-3 day hike in any season other than summer would do the trick. There are many places not far from PDX/Salem that this could be done. There are many trails below the snow line around Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson with varying levels of elevation change to test your skills. This could easily simulate the trek from PDX to Salem.

This is a sure way to figure out if your gear really works. Camping out near home is not going to test your gear like back country backpacking will, especially in the elements/terrain the PNW has to offer.

True, but I won't really be traveling from Portland to Salem via the Cascades or the Coast Range. My property is the typical farmland/oak tree type that I'll be camping in on my trek home. I'm looking to simulate the most likely scenario, not the extreme unlikely one.

So are you gonna be packing an evil black rifle, 200 rds of ammo and a 40 pound pack walking down the road in daylight in a boonie hat? That would make the evening news for sure!:s0155:

I'll be walking in my work clothes and with my get home bag, nothing more. There may or may not be a rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammo with me, but no one would ever know from the outside. Besides, I live 6 miles from the nearest town; that's a lot of country road with no one around.

True, but I won't really be traveling from Portland to Salem via the Cascades or the Coast Range. My property is the typical farmland/oak tree type that I'll be camping in on my trek home. I'm looking to simulate the most likely scenario, not the extreme unlikely one.

I'll be walking in my work clothes and with my get home bag, nothing more. There may or may not be a rifle and hundreds of rounds of ammo with me, but no one would ever know from the outside. Besides, I live 6 miles from the nearest town; that's a lot of country road with no one around.

At least carry the ammo! Few items can make a backpack feel so comfy! Lol!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top