JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to share an email and hopefully get some work started front loading opposition.
Today I received reply from the AG office of Constituent Services regarding my FOIA request regarding the following Attorney General news release.
http://atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-ferguson-proposes-ban-assault-weapons-high-capacity-magazines.

I have to mail a check to the office of Constituent Services, then hurry up and wait for the CD. I will make the information available here or link it up for sharing.

~Whitney

<<<<<<<<<< email share follows >>>>>>>
Dear Whitney,

Thank you for writing, I apologize it has taken me so long to respond! There's still no actual bill on the so-called assault weapon ban so there's nothing for me to react to; if/when there actually is a bill and if/when we hear it in the House Judiciary Committee (on which I sit, which has jurisdiction over gun issues) I'll be looking for testimony and evidence that the categories of firearms/magazines targeted by the ban are more lethal than what's left out of the ban. But that will come much later; we are some months away from having any actual concrete piece of legislation to examine, much less a hearing on it.

Thanks for writing & please come by and visit if you're ever in Olympia!

Best, Drew

Representative Drew Hansen
Chair, Higher Education Committee
23rd Legislative District
369 John L. O'Brien
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504
(Office) 360-786-7842
Click here to sign up for our e-newsletter!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2016 6:52 AM
To: Hansen, Rep. Drew <[email protected]>
Subject: Oppose Bob Fergusons Ban on Commonly Owned Semi-Autos

whitney slater
poulsbo, WA 98370

October 16, 2016

The Honorable Drew Hansen
PO Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600

Dear Representative Hansen,

Dear State Rep/Sen:

Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson has announced the he will ask the legislature to ban commonly owned semi-automatics - a dramatic reenactment of federal legislation which was so ineffectual it was allowed to expire.

I agree with Gun Owners of America that the federal ban on so-called assault weapons had NO IMPACT upon crime whatsoever.

In fact, in the first 10 years after the ban expired, FBI statistics show that the national murder rate dropped 18 percent.

So even though the once-banned guns are now legal again -- Americans are much safer. How do the anti-gunners explain that?

The fact is, they cant.

When you took your oath of office, you swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States -- including the Second Amendment which says the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

I hope that you will OPPOSE Fergusons gun ban and uphold your oath of office. Please let me know what you intend to do.

Sincerely,

Sincerely,
whitney slater

Last Edited:
When talking to anti-gun folks about how evil the gun is or some gun law on the pretense of reducing crime, I remind them that, BEFORE guns were invented, man had no trouble killing each other with other means; usually resulting in a much more painful, slower agonizing death. History shows as many as 180,000 dying in one days battle without the gun being invented, yet. Tutsi's and Zulu had no trouble killing 250,000 with neck laces, machetes, spears and knives. The Civil War killed tens of thousands because of the single shot musket and bayonet. When irresponsible men and women (politicians) stop blaming the tool or weapon and start holding the criminals responsible for their acts against humanity, perhaps punishments will again deter criminals because the cost to them would be too high to risk for what benefit they though would come from violating others. Today we have numerous rewards for felons and way too many penalties and oppressive burdens put upon the law-abiding citizens. Who among the readers had the government pay for your college, provide you with a lawyer, psychiatrist and medical professional on retainer without paying a single premium? I haven't had a steak in years...Criminals know they'll be rewarded. They know they will be viewed as victims and the system will pamper them because of their fear of repeating violence or harm against another. Bad gun, bad duct tape, bad zip ties, bad car...poor, poor murderer...his mother would not let him push the oatmeal off the high chair tray when he was 3 so he ended up pushing her off Brooklyn Bridge...poor, poor murderer

Last Edited:
A customer came in this morning who is well connected to the firearms community and was telling us that our Governor is planning on banning high capacity magazines in Feb. 2017 and that Washington State is looking to do the same thing-making a Western States coalition in regards to firearms.
Time will tell if this comes to pass or not, but he also said that if you had less that 10 high capacity mags it will be a misdemeanor and if you have more than 10 it would be a felony.

I thank the OP for taking interest, and action, on this subject. As there is presently no actual bill to fight, perhaps we could, at least, start a mail/phone campaign to influence our representatives in the state legislature. I'm kinda lucky on this as my representatives are pro-gun. I don't really need to change their minds. However, those of you out there that have anti-gun reps might want to start writing. Get ahead of this thing.

I was in the Everett area earlier this year. I saw on one of the "news channels" the AG stating that he had to do something regarding the shootings that are happening. That he couldn't just stand by any longer and allow it to happen. He said he was going to propose magazine capacity limits like California had as it seemed to be working for them. :eek:

First thing out of my mouth was "GO AFTER THE CRIMINALS, PROSECUTE THEM, AND STOP SLAPPING THIER HANDS AND SENDING THEM BACK OUT INTO THE STREETS!!!"

There was dead silence and about 30-40 eyeballs all staring at me.

When I saw that I thought "I'll NEVER vote for him!!!"

How in the H3LL do these people keep getting elected???

:mad:

If you don't have time to write There is a phone number start calling. Another post that Joey posted mentioned said that has a great effect. Call when standing in line, when waiting for an appointment , while waiting on a friend .

If you were someone that actually voted for these people because of other issues call them and tell them about it and tell they won't get your vote next time if they don't listen to you.

A customer came in this morning who is well connected to the firearms community and was telling us that our Governor is planning on banning high capacity magazines in Feb. 2017 and that Washington State is looking to do the same thing-making a Western States coalition in regards to firearms.
Time will tell if this comes to pass or not, but he also said that if you had less that 10 high capacity mags it will be a misdemeanor and if you have more than 10 it would be a felony.

She announced it live on television along with other measures our anti-gun legislatures plan to steamroll through in February for her to sign. There have been several threads on this forum with the specifics. The Republicans no longer have the ability to stop any of this.

In addition a group of progressive religious organizations are sponsoring an AWB next fall.

No talk YET if they are planning to change Oregon from being a "shall issue" state but you know that somewhere tonight some of them will have wet dreams about that.

The only good news is that soon you won't have to give up any guns if you decide to move to California. The bad news is that it will be because you are just as or even more neutered than they are.

We lost the last best good opportunity to prevent this a few weeks ago, but were killed by poor voter turnout. Had we elected Bud Pierce as Governor we were but a veto away from safeguarding our rights. Instead Bloody Brown is going to cram her agenda down our throats and then proceed to rub our faces in the gravel.

Nothing we do will stop them from ramming this bubblegum through (not saying we shouldn't still try), so the lawsuits need to start the day they're signed, it's going to take awhile to get to the supremes, so best get started right away. Also need pressure at the federal level to preempt state bans on magazines and the most common rifle ever made. The state for us is forked, federal is where we have a chance.

I was in the Everett area earlier this year. I saw on one of the "news channels" the AG stating that he had to do something regarding the shootings that are happening. That he couldn't just stand by any longer and allow it to happen. He said he was going to propose magazine capacity limits like California had as it seemed to be working for them. :eek:

First thing out of my mouth was "GO AFTER THE CRIMINALS, PROSECUTE THEM, AND STOP SLAPPING THIER HANDS AND SENDING THEM BACK OUT INTO THE STREETS!!!"

There was dead silence and about 30-40 eyeballs all staring at me.

When I saw that I thought "I'll NEVER vote for him!!!"

How in the H3LL do these people keep getting elected???

:mad:

I too have been screaming this exact same statement for years but I never hear anyone else bring it up, thanks AMT. This should be our tactic when conversing with our (poorly) elected officials. They have NO COMMON SENSE!!! Let's pound some into them!!!:mad::mad::mad:

No, not at all. He is just doing what he must to pay back Bloomberg for all the campaign $$$$$$$ he put in his pocket!!!! Business as usual in the capital!!!!!

If you ever see these people start to show up with scarlet B$ branded on their foreheads it probably won't be me doing it... actually won't be me doing it, but a guy has to have something fun to dream about.

Nothing we do will stop them from ramming this bubblegum through (not saying we shouldn't still try).

We can make life as difficult as possible. And I think (hope) a few of the democrats will be against going so far as an AWB or magazine ban. The house vote for background checks in Oregon was very close, and a couple dems were burned by their own leadership as a result for voting for it. (Evans was one?).

But we have to be pro-active and show up to town halls, email, phones, letters, letters-to-the-editor. Heck, even directly interact with the average moms-demand members (many of them are doing it out of a desire to 'do something', and have no idea about the subject other than what they are told or see on fictional TV shows).

We can make life as difficult as possible. And I think (hope) a few of the democrats will be against going so far as an AWB or magazine ban. The house vote for background checks in Oregon was very close, and a couple dems were burned by their own leadership as a result for voting for it. (Evans was one?).

But we have to be pro-active and show up to town halls, email, phones, letters, letters-to-the-editor. Heck, even directly interact with the average moms-demand members (many of them are doing it out of a desire to 'do something', and have no idea about the subject other than what they are told or see on fictional TV shows).

We need to make a ruckus and get attention in a positive way. Now, how are we going to do that? Media will spin whatever we do to make us look as bad as they can. I don't know the answer yet, but it has to be out there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top