JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How in the heck could this even happen?

Apparently the boat was curving a corner and when the driver straightened it out it slung the tube around in front of it - kinda like a "crack the whip" game. According to the news, the boat pilot was not under the influence, so just a bad deal all around.

As much as I have been on the water, I have had 4 near misses while I was fishing. The closest one was an old codger was taking a nap while trolling. :eek: The others were probably drunks not paying attention while on plane but my air horn averted them all.
Most people on the weekends are the worst offenders and why I detest fishing on the weekends.

Had something like this happen to one of my high school girl friends, she and her family were out on the water skiing, the girl got tangled in the tow rope somehow and when her dad powered up, the rope went taut and she got seriously maimed, both left arm and leg ripped off! The doctors who treater her were some of the best in the world, she made a full recovery and had full use of her arm and leg with only the rope scars to tell the tail!
Sadly, she took her own life a few weeks after graduation, apparently she had mental issues no one knew about!

I grew up on the water and this kind of thing happens all the time.
Same!
Worse one was a couple senior citizens on the Columbia near St Helens in their little Aluminum boat out Coho fishing in the hog lines a few rows down stream of us, big dead head went floating past us and right through the rows of boats behind us! We got out the emergency air horn and laid into it while shouting a warning to drop the anchor ropes and get the hell out of the way! Those two ether didn't hear it in time, or were too slow and got hit and swamped instantly! Having a super quick sled, we raced to where they went down, but we couldn't find them! Both the coast Guard and Sheriff had boats and helicopters on scene within in 30 min, but it was far too late! Both bodies were found pinned to the wing damn half a mile down stream a few days later!

Watched the Tug "America" in Portland near the gravel docks just down stream of Oregon Steel Mills run over a boat, dude thought he had right of way and crossed in front of the tug, drugs or alcohol fueled stupidity, the Tug never changed course or speed, and kept right on going! The boats driver and passengers were rescued and I understand both the Coast Guard and Sheriff issues MAJOR fines!

Almost the exact same area, watched a old Yacht come screaming out of the Columbia and up the Willamette with the Sheriff hot on it's tail, shots were fired and the Yacht came to a stop just a hundred yards away from us! The Sheriff demanded that they prepare to be boarded and they said no and demanded that the Coast Guard show up. The Coasties have a harbor patrol station and boats really close, so they sent two boats really quick, both with mounted machine guns. they did an armed take over and then called one of the Shaver tugs to come and tow the yacht to Souvies Island Marina, where it still sits to this day nearly 40 years later! Never heard what happened, we all kinda suspect it was some sort of drug runner that got caught, but why demand the Coasties show up and not let the Sheriffs board I'll never know! Rumors were it was from Canada, and hauling serious drugs, but again, just rumors!

I ran Patrol Boats in the Navy. I can't even begin to list the amount of stupid I witnessed from "professional" boat handlers. I would imagine its x10 from free range animals with more engine than experience.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top