Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Blue or, Purple ?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by James1300, Jan 24, 2011.

1. James1300

James1300 S.E. WA. Member

Which thread locker should I use to hold a Reciever Mount in place on a Ruger 10/22?
    Blue or Purple Loctite?

100_5915.jpg

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Loctite 222.

3. James1300

4. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

I use purple on things I might take off occasionally, and blue on things that I will probably never take off. For a receiver rail on a 10/22, I'd use blue.

5. BillCh

BillCh Vancouver Active Member

Purple.

It is the more appropriate thread locker for the fastener you are trying to secure.

B

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

If you have a girlfriend or wife use some of their fingernail polish works just as good, been using it for years.

7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Blue 242 On a screw that small it is not hard to remove. Won't just break free and spin.

8. Rix

Rix Tacoma Active Member

Agreed.

9. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Purple is correct for small screws like scope mounts and similar;

LOCTITE® 222 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require easy disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration. Particularly suitable for applications such as adjustment of set screws, small diameter or long engagement length fasteners, where easy disassembly is required without shearing the screw. The thixotropic nature of LOCTITE® 222 reduces the migration of liquid product after application to the substrate.

If I only had blue on hand I would use that but purple is better. I picked up a bottle and it goes a long way. I have used it a lot.

If you are really in a bind steal the wife/GF's clear nail polish. If you ever want to take it out a little polish remover will work wonders.

10. James1300

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I have Blue on hand.
    I would invest in Purple if need be.