JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No, not Bacon Lettuce Tomato

This is combination of three topical anesthetics.

I've had topical and injected lidocaine and it works. But I would like to stock up on BLT as I have read the combination works very well.

Not sure where I can get any OTC though.

Feedback?

My wife's an inpatient pharmacy tech in a hospital, and I seem to recall her being dubious of OTC products that contained only 5% lidocaine. I think it was something about it needing to be around 10% to be effective in reducing pain to a significant degree. I'll check with her to see if I'm remembering that correctly.

Last Edited:
My wife's an inpatient pharmacy tech in a hospital, and I seem to recall her being dubious of OTC products that contained only 5% lidocaine. I think it was something about it needing to be around 10% to be effective in reducing pain to a significant degree. I'll check with her to see if I'm remembering that correctly.

Yes, but I think 5% is the most you can get OTC. That is one reason why I was looking for BLT.

Would you want the little BLT packs or would you want each item in a form that makes it most practical to use individually? Lidocaine comes in all sorts of forms from pads, gels, and creams (preperation H). OraGel is Benzocaine. Tetracaine works well as an eyedrop or spray.

All forms.

Small packets/etc. would be good for FAK, larger amounts for long term or home care.

Yes, but I think 5% is the most you can get OTC. That is one reason why I was looking for BLT.

Good point, forget about that part lol. I'll ask her about the other concentrations as well because this seems like a really good product to keep at hand.

My wife brought home some pure lidocaine once many years ago that a pharmacist gave her because it was about to expire. Cut myself somewhat badly and used it immediately. Instant pain relief. Wish we could stock that one.

From what I understand, these meds are short term - especially lidocaine. So not a long term solution for pain, but maybe also the side effects might not be as severe as opioids or as addictive.

I had a procedure done early this year where they gave me a lidocaine injection ahead of the sedative because the sedative has a 'burning' sensation when injected. The lidocaine only lasted a little while. An interesting side effect is that lidocaine stops tinnitus in a lot of people. I didn't know this - it was a weird sensation; all of a sudden my tinnitus went silent, I didn't know what happened and then I realized what had happened.

OTC at my local pharmacy in Cave Junction SW Oregon. Also ask your friendly knowledgeable local pharmacist for specific recommendations. Also consider the Rx from your local doctor. This good stuff belongs in every kit in a family with growing kids. Ouchies! :)

Retarded, (er ... retired) RN and Paramedic. Long ago, far away. Now an old coot! More :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top