JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

The Colorado situation was isolated to two legislative districts. Do not be lulled into thinking that's how a statewide battle would play out here in Washington, where you have Seattle's voting bloc to deal with,. Denver voters did not have a say in the two recall elections. That would have probably changed the outcome.

If Bloomberg jumps into the I-594 fray, any big bucks advertising his money would pay for would all be spent in the Seattle, Everett, Bellingham, Vancouver and Spokane markets. That's where the votes would be.

It's a different scenario entirely.

Remember the words of Han Solo: "Don't get cocky."

Good suggestion. :s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

Unless Mr. Bloomberg personally knocks on my door and demands that I give up my one and only firearm, he is nothing more than a spinless little starbellied kock leech not worthy of consideration as part of the male species. Open invitation Mr. Bloomberg; My loins are twitching like a wounded lizard just thinking about this :)

Unless Mr. Bloomberg personally knocks on my door and demands that I give up my one and only firearm, he is nothing more than a spinless little starbellied kock leech not worthy of consideration as part of the male species. Open invitation Mr. Bloomberg; My loins are twitching like a wounded lizard just thinking about this :)

Hahahahahahahahahahah!

Bloomberg Eyes Five More Fronts In The Gun Control Battle | TPMDC

<broken link removed> .

From around the web

'Wonder Years' Crush Winnie Cooper Has Grown Up Gorgeous Zimbio 15 Reasons Why so Many Are Quitting Facebook All Women Stalk Insanely Stupid Pictures That Will Make You Rage BoreBurn The 25 US Corporations That Pay the Highest Taxes Forbes

More from TPM

Grover Norquist Advocates For Marijuana Business Tax Breaks Huma Abedin Returns To Hillaryland Florida Takes Obamacare Obstruction To Whole New Level

Tweet Tweet 137 Like 1.1k

Non-Mobile Version

TPMDC Bloomberg Eyes Five More Fronts In The Gun Control War

Daniel Strauss - September 13, 2013, 6:00 AM

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg&rsquo;s gun control group took a beating this week with the recalls of two state senators in Colorado, but officials with the group said Thursday they believe the battle nationwide is far from over.

The officials told TPM that Mayors Against Illegal Guns is eying five other states where they think they could make their mark if they invest resources. Nothing is set in stone, but they hope there might be room to move despite this week&rsquo;s loss.

&ldquo;The short answer is full speed ahead,&rdquo; the group&rsquo;s executive director, Mark Glaze, said by phone.

The officials spoke two days after a critical defeat for the group. It poured big money and resources into the effort to save two Democratic state senators, including Colorado&rsquo;s Senate president, who had helped narrowly pass a slate of gun restrictions there earlier this year. But those senators, John Morse and Angela Giron, were thrown out of office by voters in their districts on Tuesday after pro-gun groups, including the National Rifle Association, helped fund recall efforts against them.

Bloomberg himself reacted to the defeat hours after the polls closed on Tuesday, saying the fight would continue. Glaze echoed the sentiment in an interview with TPM as he and another official previewed what could come next.

The states the group is looking at are:

Oregon

The state legislature there was forced in July to pull a package of gun measures after state Sen. Betsy Johnson, a Democrat, refused to join her colleagues who were voting for it. Johnson&rsquo;s lack of support meant the package was one vote short of passage.

&ldquo;We&rsquo;re looking to see whether &mdash;maybe we can get a Republican or maybe we can figure out a way to work with her on something,&rdquo; an official with Bloomberg&rsquo;s group, who spoke on the condition his name not be used, told TPM.

Bloomberg&rsquo;s group has also been talking with the governor&rsquo;s office to try to get Johnson to support the package. The official said the group had already tried pushing Republicans in the legislature, but so far nobody was budging on the issue.

Minnesota

Efforts to pass a new background check bill in Minnesota failed recently, but Bloomberg&rsquo;s group is hopeful that advocates in the state could help usher in new legislation.

&ldquo;We&rsquo;re sort of building a team up there in the state, lobbyists,&rdquo; the official said, &ldquo;to maybe get something done this legislative session.&rdquo; The group is looking at the possibility of supporting a bill for universal background checks on gun purchases.

New Mexico

A gun show loophole bill was making its way through the New Mexico legislature earlier this year before it hit a snag on the Senate floor. New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez (R), however, has said she would sign the proposal into law if it reached her desk. Martinez is an advocate of gun rights. Mayors Against Illegal Guns is hoping it can possibly work with Martinez and her office to help pass a new gun bill.

Nevada

Nevada&rsquo;s legislature passed a universal background check bill for firearms purchases but in June, Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) vetoed it.

The bill&rsquo;s sponsor was state Sen. Justin Jones (D), who plans to introduce the proposal again in the next legislative session. Jones could face a recall, and if he does, the official from Bloomberg&rsquo;s group said Mayors Against Illegal Guns could possibly get involved to defend him. The group has also considered targeting other Nevada legislators who were obstinate on the gun bill in their upcoming elections, the official said.

Washington

Supporters of stricter gun laws in Washington have introduced a ballot initiative that would add background check requirements for a host of gun sales. Opponents of stricter gun laws have their own initiative as well. The official said Mayors Against Illegal Guns will likely get involved there with money or by helping the get out the vote with the field operation. Technical support has already been provided for drafting the legislation, the official said.

Taku, stop posting entire news stories. It's a copyright violation and you'll create issues for the forum. Post the first paragraph and a link, it's not hard.

Bloomberg supporting 594 is very concerning although not a surprise. I am seeing their signature gatherers everywhere. And I have to hand to to WAGR for their emails which are fairly creative at cutting through the spam (versus our side which tends to suck at email marketing) . They got Dow Constantine to send one last week. I am not seeing the same level of energy from our side except here on this forum, which counts for nothing.

Even if lawmakers were responsible for this initiative (and they aren't), the Colorado recall situation does not apply here. Most of the safe liberal Seattle seats have massive margins in their favor. The influx of jobs to King County has accelerated this trend. Look at Spokane for comparison - their population growth rate is barely 1% and their unemployment rate has been nearly twice that of Seattle during 2013.

No it isn't the east coast but the liberals in Seattle and Portland are trying real hard to make this San Francisco and LA.

Not to mention the libs who moved away from San Francisco and LA etc. because those places turned bad but come here and promote/vote for what they left behind.
It really is a mental disorder as the guy says.

Not to mention the libs who moved away from San Francisco and LA etc. because those places turned bad but come here and promote/vote for what they left behind.

I don't think Seattle gets that many people from San Francisco. I find it extremely hard to get potential employees to leave SF, despite the cost, homeless hordes etc. Also, salaries in SF are substantially higher than here, despite the cost of living.

LA is a different matter.

Thats fine, but it isn't a copyright violation if proper credit given and the link is given and no monetary exchange is made. But the paragraph idea is fine.

I don't think Seattle gets that many people from San Francisco. I find it extremely hard to get potential employees to leave SF, despite the cost, homeless hordes etc. Also, salaries in SF are substantially higher than here, despite the cost of living.

LA is a different matter.

I have the "pleasure" to work with a couple of S.F.ers who moved up here. Social worker/educator types that are overqualified for the work we do. I've had a few political discussions with one who I don't think ever had anyone disagree with him in his life. Try to bring up a point and he talks over you, speaks louder, gets personal etc.. One day he said he decided that we shouldn't talk politics and I said I can't do that. He said he'd go to the Administrator then. I didn't even know we had one L.O.L.! Anyway long story short the schedule maker guy told me he complained and to avoid politics. I told him I could tone it down but everything is politics and as the job (part-Time) wasn't that important to me I'd just resign because the guy was an bubblegum! Schedule guy said he'd arrange the schedule so I didn't have to work with him. Small victory, yeah!!!

Howdy, Dave.
So then, what do you suggest our reaction should be? We've got this billionaire coming in here, and buying his way around the state, and all I can think of is trying to trip him up in front of my hog pens, so he can experience first hand, tasting the recycled food I feed my pigs.

Niceties and compromise has gotten California Gun Owners, what?

I'd rather be tactful, but with a bite. Churchill nailed it with his following quote...

&ldquo;Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.&rdquo; &#8213; Winston Churchill.

I vote for the hog pens, but inside, not outside. :D

What business does the mean run? boycott them and all who advertise on them.

You mean Bloomberg? Good luck with a boycott. You'd need to boycott pretty much every financial firm in the US.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomberg_L.P.

Lucky for us, Bloomberg has really tanked his image with the soda ban, stop and frisk etc, so we are better off highlighting this connection. There is a strong independent streak even in liberal Washington.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top