JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here is a paste from some info I found online to supplement the USFS rules already up here:

National BLM Target Shooting Regulations:

Shooting and possession of firearms is allowed on public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management provided that the specific shooting activity involved:

• Does not create a public hazard, public nuisance or direct threat to public safety and use. (paraphrased from Title 43 CFR Sec. 8365.1-4.)
  • Does not damage or destroy natural features, native plants, cultural resources, historic structures or government and/or private property. (paraphrased from Title 43 CFR Sec. 8365.1-5)
  • Does not facilitate and create a condition of littering, refuse accumulation and abandoned personal property. (paraphrased from Title 43 CFR Sec. 8365.1-1)
  • Does not violate an existing use restriction, closure order or supplementary rules notice. (paraphrased from Title 43 CFR Sec. 8365.1-6)

View attachment 252962

Thanks ranger! I found the link to that info along with a bit more. I'll put a sticky on this thread so it hangs with the other forest rules.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

This is good general information, but is actually for Montana/Dakotas BLM's. In Oregon, it is important to visit the BLM district office or website of the area you plan to go shooting for specific rules and restrictions. They DO vary and the district office will have maps of shooting and firearm restricted areas. Just because your GPS says your on BLM land does 'not' necessarily mean it is legal to carry or discharge a firearm.

Ie., while there wasn't a firearm restriction, this past May we had a visitor while shooting up above Mehema. We didn't realize it, but they now require that anyone with a firearm is required to carry basic firefighting equipment. Luckily we had a full size shovel, axe, and a couple of gallon jugs of water in the back of the rig that qualified, but it caught me completely unaware. I learned my lesson and hightailed it into the district office the following week and picked up a map. I was surprised by some of the areas that are now restricted.

Along with knowing the rules, it's important to remember as well that you still need to have permission to cross privately owned lands even when just skirting through from one BLM area to the next. A buddy of mine spent less than a 1/4 mile doing just that (no signage or fencing of any kind) and had his license plate reported by the land owner. Nothing became of it.. just a letter in the mail, but tends to put a guy on notice. ;)

Along with knowing the rules, it's important to remember as well that you still need to have permission to cross privately owned lands even when just skirting through from one BLM area to the next. A buddy of mine spent less than a 1/4 mile doing just that (no signage or fencing of any kind) and had his license plate reported by the land owner. Nothing became of it.. just a letter in the mail, but tends to put a guy on notice. ;)

Yep, this is called corner-crossing. So far no clear legal status on whether it constitutes trespassing in any state. I believe all cases tried in court have ended up with the landowner failing to prove trespass. BLM advises people against it, but ultimately it is for the attorney general of that state to decide.

Generally I would avoid it in states with a very strong hunting outfitter lobby like Wyoming. Outfitters buy access to surrounding private checkerboard to enjoy exclusive access to the enclosed BLM lands. They will certainly harass anyone on "their" BLM land. Hope someday legislature will address this.

They will certainly harass anyone on "their" BLM land. Hope someday legislature will address this.

I completely respect a land owners right to permit access as they see fit, but on one hand.. they should 'know' it's going to happen without any type of signage or at least a fence line. Than again, for those that DO post, I would have no qualms of paying a couple of bones to a 'set box' for access and would like to think that other like minded Oregonian sportsmen would be inclined to do the same. There is always going to be some young buck 'yahoo' out there that feels some sort or entitlement that will potentially ruin the privilege for others, however, I strongly deplore the 'trapper' that doesn't even bother to post any limitations.. and takes advantage to report alleged 'trespassers'.

It's all part of the experience I'm sure, however, it does stick a bit in my craw to think there might be some responsible father out there trying to teach his son/daughter how to be a responsible shooter and get 'hit' with some frivolous land owners claim, in the knowing situation they are in, and taint the whole experience.

Rant over. LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top