JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My brother and his friend are going hunting in the Trask unit this week. They'd like to be able to camp out there on BLM land but are not sure if that is legal. Of course the BLM website doesn't give any clear answers other than how much they charge per night at designated campsite/grounds. Does anybody know what the rules are regarding camping? Could you cite your references too:D

I figured most of the time it'd be no problem. The thing is, my brother and his buddy have a little 10-12' trailer they want to use. That's quite a bit more conspicuous than a simple tent set up off the beaten path.

Although I do not have any source information to back this up, I have always been under the impression that camping is ok and free on federal land BLM or FS, at dispersed ( non developed) sites for up to 2 weeks. Usually if there is an exception for a specific area, it is because they have had trouble there, and it will be clearly posted. I have camped all over and never gotten hassled. I think that as long as you are clean and respectful, there should be no problem. Its our land anyway...

Although I do not have any source information to back this up, I have always been under the impression that camping is ok and free on federal land BLM or FS, at dispersed ( non developed) sites for up to 2 weeks. Usually if there is an exception for a specific area, it is because they have had trouble there, and it will be clearly posted. I have camped all over and never gotten hassled. I think that as long as you are clean and respectful, there should be no problem. Its our land anyway...

That's my understanding too, pretty sure that's right unless it's marked no camping. Having camp fires can be more restricted sometimes outside of established campgrounds.

I can't find it right now, but the rule is a maximum of 14 days in one spot. Beyond 14 days you have to move at least 20 miles.
Campfires are the only restriction, but with the fall weather that shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck on your hunt!

There are also some new rules with regard to how far you can leave the road to access a dispersed camping area. I believe it is no more than 300'. You might want to stop in your USFS office and pick up the the new travel management info and maps for the area you will be in. The new travel management plans are confusing, hard to understand and are not entirely complete according to a FS employee I know and was talking to about this the other day. The 'unwritten' word is to try your best to follow the travel plan rules as best as possible and if a FS LEO does see you in a closed area and you were attempting to follow the map most likely you will not be cited - just don't get caught in the same area a week later by the same LEO or you will be cited. Pickup the info and you will see how clear it is - as mud that is.

My wife and I have been camping on BLM for years. You must have your own fire
pit or fire blanket, and a portable toilet. Oh, and one gal of water to put out your fire.
The max stay is two weeks, in any given place. Have fun...

There are also some new rules with regard to how far you can leave the road to access a dispersed camping area. I believe it is no more than 300'. You might want to stop in your USFS office and pick up the the new travel management info and maps for the area you will be in. The new travel management plans are confusing, hard to understand and are not entirely complete according to a FS employee I know and was talking to about this the other day. The 'unwritten' word is to try your best to follow the travel plan rules as best as possible and if a FS LEO does see you in a closed area and you were attempting to follow the map most likely you will not be cited - just don't get caught in the same area a week later by the same LEO or you will be cited. Pickup the info and you will see how clear it is - as mud that is.

I think the limit is how far off an OPEN road you can take your vehicle to set up a camp. You can camp anywhere you want pretty much, it's the vehicle that's restricted.

That sounds right. Remember it's our land...

It's our land that we continually lose 'rights' to. I get frustrated seeing how many idiots leave trash out in the woods. Saturday I found countless beer cans. I hiked down one steep canyon and found a pepsi can and an old grape soda can. I figure no one had been down there in years. They probably just threw the can down the hill. Lazy good-for-nothings I say.

Ya I here you. Drives me nuts. You have to get 20 miles out to get away from all the local trash. Bring out what you bring in.

I agree wholeheartedly! went camping on BLM Land a few years ago, and multiple groups moved in on our camping area. They created one huge fire pit, and when they left, it was still smoldering (for 2 days, but we watched after it and even covered it with dirt before we left). They also left a bunch of trash, which we picked up and brought back to Portland. My hunting partner went back to the same spot a few weeks later for Elk season, and had the exact same problems with other groups. ugh!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top