JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While I love bling on guns and consider guns that have it as art, does anyone else see these new thread protectors as dangerous? As in being mistaken for a fake gun? Looks dangerously close to a blaze orange tip on a toy gun! I like them, don't get me wrong. But the first thought I had was the hesitation it might cause a cop in a high stress situation!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/20/backup-tactical-reliable-thread-protectors/

Regarding the orange tip, why would you have a gun pulled on a cop in the first place? I think the bigger danger is folks that pull any gun, real or toy, on or around a cop - all bad news. I think if I were a cop, no matter who is pointing any gun at me, regardless of the color of the tip of the barrel, I'm going to make the assumption that it's a real gun.

As to these protectors, not my cup o tea, but there seems to be plenty of folks that would be happy to have them.

While I do not think someone should be banned from making , selling or buying these in orange , orange tips on guns do tend to make me think of toy guns.
I like to think of myself as gun savvy and can tell the difference between a toy gun and real gun orange tip or not.
I do worry that those who are not so savvy might have a more difficult time doing so.

On the other hand if you have the need for one of these tip protectors , chances are that you and the folks you come into contact with are pretty capable of telling a real gun form a toy gun as well.
So I may be making much ado about nothing.
Andy

I can see the instant high stress a cop would experience at seeing "A GUN" that may or may not be a toy! There have been a LOT of shootings of youth with toys that sure look real in the split seconds before a trigger gets pulled. Identifying a threat in such a short span of time would be pretty hard.

I guess my initial reaction was due to "replica guns" being so real. The only way to differentiate the toy ones (I realize some replicas are dead ringers for the real thing) was the orange tip. But I do remember an article a few years back where a cop shot a kid because he had a BB gun in a darkened room. Can't imagine trying to continue doing your job after that.

On a lighter note....Why am I not at the NRA convention this weekend? LOL....

While I do not think someone should be banned from making , selling or buying these in orange , orange tips on guns do tend to make me think of toy guns.
I like to think of myself as gun savvy and can tell the difference between a toy gun and real gun orange tip or not.
I do worry that those who are not so savvy might have a more difficult time doing so.

On the other hand if you have the need for one of these tip protectors , chances are that you and the folks you come into contact with are pretty capable of telling a real gun form a toy gun as well.
So I may be making much ado about nothing.
Andy

Yep! I would want mine to be black anyway if it was used for self defense! Why broadcast your position with a "bling tip?" LOL...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top