JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got to shoot my latest toy yesterday, and it shoots just fine (yaaay!). Only problem is the magazine messes up the 2nd round. Its a Savage 110, formerly a 7mm Rem Mag, now a 300 Win Mag. I never shot it when it was still a 7mm, so I don't know if it did it then also.

What happens: I load 3 rounds in the mag, the top round pops nearly out of the rifle when the bolt is going forward. At that point, the 2nd round is hung up in the magazine, with the bullet angled up and the belted bottom of the case is lodged about 1 shells depth into the magazine. Fire the top round, no problem. Work the bolt and eject the empty, run the bolt forward again, and the 2nd round doesn't feed because it's cock-eyed in the mag. Then I attempt to move the round into position in the mag and it just pops right out of the magazine; and about 1/3rd of the time, the bottom round would pop out also. Both magazine lips look the same, so I compared how they look to my 110 in .270, and the only differences I see with the feed lips is the 300 has a "cutout" in the rear of both lips for loading the belted case.

I bring this to you guys in hopes of NOT having to take it to a 'smith

Thanks for any help

Don't have a good answer. Did you check to see if the belt of the round is hanging up on something? Where do you touch the round when it pops out? Are the "cutouts" factory (I would guess yes for the 7mm Rem Mag)? Pics would be great!

Sounds simple but stupid. Did the follower and the mag spring get put back in the correct way? I know on those guns if you put the spring in backward it will not feed right......

Sounds simple but stupid. Did the follower and the mag spring get put back in the correct way? I know on those guns if you put the spring in backward it will not feed right......

I checked that, and the follower has a small "pin" on the bottom that indexes with a hole in the spring and that aligns with a screw to hold the whole mess together. Since I HAVE taken that apart, I checked it again, like you said and it seems to be normal. One thing I did notice. I had to take the follower/spring assembly apart to get it out of the magazine. When I looked at the mag, both sides of it were bowed in and once I got them pushed back out, I could slip the follower/spring in and out of it without having to take it apart. I thought about taking the mag off the action, but I don't see how it can be done without flattening the feed lips down into the mag, then sliding the mag out in a left or right direction in relation to the receiver. My .270 isn't like that, it has a single screw that holds it in.
I was working on it, with some unprimed cases with a bullet seated in them, and got one stuck between the feed lips somehow. I tried to move it forward with my thumb, to see how stuck it was, and when it unexpectedly broke loose, I cut the bubblegum out of my thumb. Layed it open pretty well. Only thing I could pin that on might have been the feed lips. I haven't had the inclination, time or patience to work on it since then.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top