Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Blind in one eye

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Chugger, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Chugger

Chugger Central Oregon Member

I was born with a birth defect that has disabled the vision in my left eye. It really has had no effect on me with the exception of depth perception and being a failure at lots of sports that require depth perception ( for example: hitting a baseball or tennis ball is nearly impossible for me ).

My question is shooting a carbine left handed. I own few AKs and have tried a million different ways to shoot left handed, but cannot get any kind of a sight picture. I have a 1-4x scope on my 74 and cannot even get my head cranked over to see the reticle on it. I have considered going with an ultimak and a forward mounted dot, but don't really like the platform that way and I like to able to field strip my gas tube for easy cleaning (I shoot corrosive). Plus, I am not certain I could see the dot left handed anyhow.

I have been wanting to take a carbine class but fear that not being able to function the offhand portions of the drills will be a hindrance.

Advice?

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

learn to shoot right handed. No one will laugh at you for trying.
    if they do "choot em clint, choot em"

3. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

hate to say it but I think your options are learn to shoot right handed or go with a laser. I do recall seeing a mount for an Iphone (and maybe some other smart phones) that use the camera with a superimposed reticle as an optic, kinda like a TV screen for a sight - not sure if that would work for ya or not and I don't recall the company that was promoting it.

Even if that does work for you I think I'd learn to shoot RH anyhow - good to be able to shoot ambidextrous just in case.
    As I'm sure you know, always wear eye protection as you have more to loose than most from an accident...

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

My brother is in the same exact situation (born with a cataract). He shoots right handed as that is what he grew up having to do even though he is left handed. I wouldn't worry about the left handed portion of the class unless you can put some sort of laser sight on it to use for the left hand portion.

5. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Is it just the side rail that you dislike? Otherwise you can go with the Texas weapon systems rail which is centered on the rifle. Every other range trip I take I try to get left handed trigger time in For fun.

There are also iron sight red dot mounts that'll be centered.

However having the red dot further out on the rifle gives you a better site picture anyhow rather then having it up tight against the face like where that standard scope rail mount would be.

So long as you flush the rifle with water then use a degreaser then oil application everything should be fine even with out removing the gas tube. I can do it on some of my AK's that have a fixed gas tube because of the forearm sight system or rail system.

6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

7. Chugger

I had not even considered a laser. man, I am going to get some hate from the AK purists....

Thanks for the advice!

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm sure that it's different these days with the all optics available in the military, but when I was in the Army long long ago, everyone shot right handed. Too bad for lefties! They managed and you can too, I'm sure. One thing, if you learn RH your battery will never die on you when you need it!
    Best of luck to you!!!

GrpCapMandrake likes this.
  9. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A rifle with a canted stock might work as well. Seen others do this when they need to use the opposite to strong side eye.

10. Chugger

I have no problems shooting right handed. I cant see the sights left handed because of no vision in my left eye

11. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand the question. I get it now but have no advice beyond the above posts.