JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was born with a birth defect that has disabled the vision in my left eye. It really has had no effect on me with the exception of depth perception and being a failure at lots of sports that require depth perception ( for example: hitting a baseball or tennis ball is nearly impossible for me ).

My question is shooting a carbine left handed. I own few AKs and have tried a million different ways to shoot left handed, but cannot get any kind of a sight picture. I have a 1-4x scope on my 74 and cannot even get my head cranked over to see the reticle on it. I have considered going with an ultimak and a forward mounted dot, but don't really like the platform that way and I like to able to field strip my gas tube for easy cleaning (I shoot corrosive). Plus, I am not certain I could see the dot left handed anyhow.

I have been wanting to take a carbine class but fear that not being able to function the offhand portions of the drills will be a hindrance.

Advice?

hate to say it but I think your options are learn to shoot right handed or go with a laser. I do recall seeing a mount for an Iphone (and maybe some other smart phones) that use the camera with a superimposed reticle as an optic, kinda like a TV screen for a sight - not sure if that would work for ya or not and I don't recall the company that was promoting it.

Even if that does work for you I think I'd learn to shoot RH anyhow - good to be able to shoot ambidextrous just in case.
As I'm sure you know, always wear eye protection as you have more to loose than most from an accident...

My brother is in the same exact situation (born with a cataract). He shoots right handed as that is what he grew up having to do even though he is left handed. I wouldn't worry about the left handed portion of the class unless you can put some sort of laser sight on it to use for the left hand portion.

Is it just the side rail that you dislike? Otherwise you can go with the Texas weapon systems rail which is centered on the rifle. Every other range trip I take I try to get left handed trigger time in For fun.

There are also iron sight red dot mounts that'll be centered.

However having the red dot further out on the rifle gives you a better site picture anyhow rather then having it up tight against the face like where that standard scope rail mount would be.

So long as you flush the rifle with water then use a degreaser then oil application everything should be fine even with out removing the gas tube. I can do it on some of my AK's that have a fixed gas tube because of the forearm sight system or rail system.

Use a dual optic setup with weak side optic mounted 45 degrees right cant. I haven't tried it on an AK but it works on most forward railed firearms.

If you are limited to single optics, use a higher (taller) optics mount. When firing weak side (left) cant the weapon to the right. You may need to use a brass deflector depending on the firearm.[/quote

The canted sight system for a single eyed shooter is actually a terrific idea. He can still shoot right handed (if right hand dominant) but utilize a left eye sight system..
A little getting used to but a terrific idea.

I'm sure that it's different these days with the all optics available in the military, but when I was in the Army long long ago, everyone shot right handed. Too bad for lefties! They managed and you can too, I'm sure. One thing, if you learn RH your battery will never die on you when you need it!
Best of luck to you!!!

I'm sure that it's different these days with the all optics available in the military, but when I was in the Army long long ago, everyone shot right handed. Too bad for lefties! They managed and you can too, I'm sure. One thing, if you learn RH your battery will never die on you when you need it!
Best of luck to you!!!

I have no problems shooting right handed. I cant see the sights left handed because of no vision in my left eye

There was a navy seal sniper that lost an eye. He managed to pass the CQB training, which requires peripheral, if he can do it, you can do it.

I have a friend who had a stroke in his right eye. He can see out of it but the vision is blurry. He shoots Ruger M77's and didn't want to switch to left because of his rifle inventory. He had a machinist make him some extra tall scope mounts and now he shoots right-handed with his left eye

My daughter is left handed but right eye dominant. She shoots rifles right handed.
I can relate. I'm the opposite - right-handed/left-eye-dominant. Shoot pistols right-handed, but shoot (most) rifles left-handed...

Oh, and I've never had an issue with ejected cases hitting me in the face while shooting any my long guns left-handed.
Don't understand why folks worry about that, since it's such a non-issue...

Most later (anything after the Colt AR-15 A2 Sporter II) AR-pattern rifles have a deflector integrally forged into the upper that deflects the ejected case away from the shooter's face, and most folks raise their head slightly while cycling a bolt-action rifle. It should be self-evident why no one gets an ejected hull to the face with a pump-action shotgun. For my only lever-action rifle, I just lower the rifle slightly when cycling the action. No case in the face...

Last Edited:
Let this thread die.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top