JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Folks mention issues with white box, however I have a feeling it's not the same type of Winchester White box which we shoot a bunch of & prefer.

Perhaps it's just 115gr round nose which have been a common turd??

However Winchester 9mm 124gr NATO is pretty darned decent stuff. Almost a +P. Also a white box.

Have shot many thousands of it without issue.

I have shot over 2K rounds of Winchester 9mm 124gr NATO and was inexpensive at the time I bought it. I still have a few boxes left and I will use it at the gun range.

Im leaning in the direction of the overcharge as others have said however, not knocking your edc at all and had one while back. I know a lot of safety recalls were done on the xds9 and 45 I would take a look at all the recalls and use it to your advantage when talking with Springfield.

After reading all pages of comments and the link about the recall, my mind seems to think you have a faulty gun. You have had it I think you stated 4 years now; most recalls are on early first editions of a model. Maybe you have been SIG'd?

Check your serial number to the recall database, even if it is not listed, call Springfield!

Lastly, get a CZ, mate! Wholly underrated guns.

This happened to me with a Gen 1 Glock 40 cal. The Gen 1 40 cal's were apparently were a 9mm barrel they overbored, which resulted in an 'unsupported' chamber as others mentioned here. I was shooting Federal Hydra shock HP's & got a kaboom. Glock fixed the gun, Federal sent me 250 rounds of hydrashock. But that was like....1998? Glad you're ok.

The ammo was Winchester.
I do believe most of my ammo mishaps were winchester white box and Tula. Had an overpressure round that gave WAY too much recoil in an AR9. It resulted in a full tear down involving barrel removal to get the remains of the brass out. I lucked out. Sorry it happened to you.

"Ever watch those youtube videos of triple charging a hipoint 9mm pistol with a bolt driven down the barrel and then touching it off?"
Yup, and I was completely amazed at how much abuse it actually took to blow them up. Most of us on this forum are a lot deeper into guns than the Drooling Masses, and as dedicated enthusiasts we value such things as aesthetics as well as functionality. Hi-Points are made for somebody who can't afford and doesn't care about pretty. Seems like the only people who stick up for them are the ones who actually own one.

I had some washougal reman that did this to me before
There was a spate of issues with their ammunition a couple years back. I'd say we saw 3-4 guns that blew up - a couple ARs pretty catastrophically - and lots of minor issues to the point one of the first diagnostic questions we were asking was, "were you shooting Washougal reloads?" Have not seen anyone with an issue with it recently so I don't know if they fixed the problem or if people just stopped buying it.

.40 Glock 23 with Corbon did the same. No admission by either company. Received a new handgun. Immediately traded for a long gun. As of this date, no longer a fan of Glock or .40. Lots of shooter-reloaders-hunters love Glock and .40 caliber. Just not me. Thankful original poster was not greatly injured.

Check your serial number to the recall database, even if it is not listed, call Springfield!

I checked and my serial number is not listed on the recall. I emailed the Springfield warranty department and told them what happened (with pics). They responded immediately and provided me with Fedex shipping on their dime. Again, I am not holding my breath that they will warranty the pistol, but thus far their customer service has been incredible.

Please let us know what the manufactures response is and what they intend to do about it. That's an interesting problem
and glad no one got hurt. It looks like an ammo overload to me because of the hole in the cartridge. I'm no expert
but would like to know what corrective action is taken by the companies involved and what time frame they
get it done in. I'm sure they have a policy for these kind of problems but how they react is important and should be
completed in a timely manner. Make sure your report has all info in it like date, place, time, circumstances, ammo head
stamp and box info, and of course the pics and lots of them.
Not a good way to start the new years, but a new gun and ammo replacement would be a good start. Good Luck.

Looking closer at one of the pictures, it definitely looks like it fired out of battery, brass looks like a belted magnum rifle case.:( Or what Lesliet mentioned about the unsupported chamber. I guess if it fired out of battery the whole base would look belted and not just a portion where it blew out. Idk, but least you still have your trigger finger and eyesight.o_O
Another armchair expert here. But i think it looks like a belted case because thats where the case web starts its the weak spot. Its also where you start to get a ring inside the case (typically) rifle cases after many firings where the case and the head start to separate.
My bet would be ammo as well. I think if it was out of battery the whole case head would be gone or mostly gone.

+1 for saying its Winchester's fault. My last encounter using Winchester ammo.

This is what happened while pheasant hunting. A rooster flushed and the gun went boom (kinda of). I ejected the empty shell and noticed a solid primer hit. I put in another shell and another rooster flushed and BOOM. Previous round was a squib. Luckily, I was wearing Mechanix gloves (shredded the glove and broke the tip of my index finger).

gun7.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads