Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Blazer brass quality for reloading??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ruger45blackhawk, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ruger45blackhawk

ruger45blackhawk milwaukie Active Member

Any input on using once fired blazer brass. Quality issues, longevity? Are they the same as Speer/CCI and just labeled Blazer? I have both 9mm and 45acp.

2. Grunwald

Grunwald Out of that nut job colony of Seattle, WA Well-Known Member

I've reloaded it in .45 with no issues.
    .45 is a low pressure round, so the brass does not get all that much stress.

3. Phrank

Phrank Forest Grove Active Member

Used both 9 and 45 in mixed brass batches, never noticed a difference in the reloading or firing of them (unlike AMerc :)). Can't speak for longevity, only fired them 2-3 times at most.

If you decide you don't like them, I'll happily take them off your hands...:cool:

4. ruger45blackhawk

Not much in volumn just 50 9mm and 100 45!! Just thinking do I really want another headstamp to go with my stash?? Trade for GOLD maybe??? :poke::poke:

5. Phrank

I hear ya, headstamp proliferation is a concern if you're looking for consistency (or just OCD like me). I have 7-8 main headstamps and the "other" pile which is where most blazer goes for now (until volume increases). Brass definitely seems like gold lately, especially in the popular calibers. I could really use 5-6k more .45 to be really happy. Just time and money I guess.

6. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Just watch out on the .45 - some of the newer blazer 45 uses the small primers instead of the large primers.

7. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Yep - Blazer brass was my first experience with SP primers on 'large' brass. I had to do a double take on it the first time I saw it picking it up off the ground.

8. ruger45blackhawk

The brass in question is small pr pocket. Some time back I threw a couple hundred 40sw away with the small pocket not knowing if I could use them??? :banghead:
    It really didn't matter at the time because I don't load 40.

9. Phrank

I'd say that 99% of my Blazer is SPP, surprised when I see a LPP Blazer most times.

10. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If any of you guys want to be "Snobbish" with any handgun brass, I'll take anything you dont want! Small primer/large primer, doesn't matter to me.

Only issue I've had is with S&B 9mm and Montana Gold 124gr HPs, they kind of seat screwy so I don't use them anymore

11. ruger45blackhawk

Brass for your GOLD :bsflag:

12. Phrank

I've got some Amerc I can trade ya....:huh:

13. ruger45blackhawk

hey I have a bunch of that ready for recycle. Ill trade you too! :shower:

14. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Good to go

15. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Never heard of Amerc brass, 'till now......did a quick google on it, WTH? What's the head stamp on the stuff? I'm using a RCBS single stage and I'm pretty in tune with the press when I'm sizing/de-capping and expanding. Anything that feels out of the ordinary range I check real close for defects. A head stamp I don't recognize gets looked up. I did find my first Starline head stamp yesterday on a pice of .40.

Regarding the Amerc, mmm, from what I read you were going to PAY me to take that?
    Thanks anyway.

Mike

16. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

The only thing I've noticed about "Blazer Brass" is that the case heads are often "dished". Seems like the tooling that's used to punch the primer pocket and flash hole isn't holding the brass firm enough

Once I fire it with one of MY 9mm loads, this 'dish' is ironed right out:cool:

I've actually found it to hold up better than some of the so called "good stuff".

17. Old506

Old506 Northwest Member

I have Blazer .45 brass that has been loaded so many times (Major PF) that stamp is barely readable. I love Blazer brass in .45.

18. ruger45blackhawk

I knew it wasn't my imagination about the dished area. :thumbup:

19. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Anybody ever have a problem with American Eagle (Federal) brass? I have a rifle chambered for .357 Mag and it handles all the other brands I've tried very well, but the American Eagle stuff tends to be hard to extract. Soft brass, maybe?

20. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

If so, just shoot and reload a few times. With Brass, soft goes away after a few sizings (working).

Have you ever checked the cases for water capacity? Might be a volume variation that's causing higher pressure with the AE brass versus the others you use. Just a thought.