JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WSDA and Washington State Department of Health (DOH) officials ask people in the area to be on the lookout for and take precautions to avoid contact with these large bugs.

Adults can be nearly two inches long, have a distinctly light-orange head with prominent black eyes, a black thorax and a black/yellow striped abdomen.

The invasive hornets are typically almost an inch and a half long and are distinguished by their large yellow heads.

Asian giant hornets nest in the ground. Though they are typically not interested in humans, pets or large animals, they can inflict a nasty sting if threatened or their nest is disturbed.

Asian giant hornets are typically dormant over the winter, and are most often seen from July through October.

Yikes.................

Ray

Kill every single one you can. They prey on Honeybees and just a few can rip through a hive in short order. They are ultra bad news for honeybees which are already on hard times.

More insect stories to scare the grand kids with. If you have an area you don't want kids in, just say, "I saw yellow jackets in there last Summer." They won't go there. On my property, I have to keep my eyes peeled in Summer and Fall for yellow jacket nests. Above and below ground. If I find one, I wait until dark, then go out and pour gasoline on it. One time, I found a nest hanging from a salal branch. I killed them with gasoline. Next day, I went out there and the nest had been torn apart by some critter which had eaten all the little gasoline-soaked larvae. Yum, gasoline flavored.

I'll keep my eyes peeled this coming year for the Asian hornets.

Kill every single one you can. They prey on Honeybees and just a few can rip through a hive in short order. They are ultra bad news for honeybees which are already on hard times.

They nest in the ground, a bit of premium or unleaded will do the trick just fine.

We sometimes vacation up at Birch Bay and we used get a lot of yellow jackets at the home we stay in. I bought a water capture trap and it would be nearly full after a few days. I guess if we vacation again in warmer weather I will at the color of their head. Not sure if the be attracted to normal yellow jacket trap or not.

We sometimes vacation up at Birch Bay and we used get a lot of yellow jackets at the home we stay in. I bought a water capture trap and it would be nearly full after a few days. I guess if we vacation again in warmer weather I will at the color of their head. Not sure if the be attracted to normal yellow jacket trap or not.

you won't have to look at their head, there is a significant size difference between the two, you would know it immediately if you saw it. These are big enough to shoot at.

Listen sonny, when I was a kid we had hornets the size of Volkswagens.
Used to use them to ride to and from school.
I scoff at Asian giant hornets.
scoff scoff------------------------->Asian giant hornets.
Ooops, almost forgot..............WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!
There..........much better.

Hey................anyone seen my dog?

Interestingly enough, once the population realized what can be done with these hornets and their nests (grubs), they were turned into a delicacy. Watched a documentary about the harvesting and collection of these hornets as a food source in non-native habitats.

No thank you though. I don't want to be carried away.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top