JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Special cleaning fluids, eh? For the last fifty years or so I've been using a particularly easy-to-find compound made up of a two-to-one mix of hydrogen and oxygen, mostly cold, but hot can sometimes be better.
You are a rare breed then, if you have not bought any.
Ultimately there will be few, as a novice in any subject, that does not eventually look for the better mouse trap in tools, chemicals or other do dads only to end up with a cupboard of aging chemicals, holsters or widgets, tried and ultimately left wanting.
I too have doggedly used a few the same things or process over a half century but I have also wasted plenty money on experimenting or trying the new and improved.
Some have worked out though. I'm sure glad there is a better alternative to the bolt slicking graphite grease once top in my armory which always seemed to get everywhere.

Ultimately there will be few, as a novice in any subject, that does not eventually look for the better mouse trap in tools, chemicals or other do dads only to end up with a cupboard of aging chemicals, holsters or widgets, tried and ultimately left wanting.
I too have doggedly used a few the same things or process over a half century but I have also wasted plenty money on experimenting or trying the new and improved.
Some have worked out though. I'm sure glad there is a better alternative to the bolt slicking graphite grease once top in my armory which always seemed to get everywhere.
Does anyone here use anise-oil based products like ballistol or eezox for muzzle loaders? Work great on cartridge guns but I dunno how it works on black powder.

Plain Old Urine has Worked for Many a Decade and I have excuses it myself just to see if it worked! Which it did but works best if it's Fresh and Warm!!! :):):)

As black powder is water soluble, I've never felt the need to buy a specially-devised chemical cleaner for it. My one and only BP revolver is stainless steel, too, and while I'd admit to squirting a drop of oil inside, and a complete tear-down once a year, the main cleaning product remains water. The cylinder axis pin get Shakespeare spinning reel grease, though.

Does anyone here use anise-oil based products like ballistol or eezox for muzzle loaders? Work great on cartridge guns but I dunno how it works on black powder.
The guy at the gun range was talking to Andy and I on Saturday about BALLISTOL.
They sale it there and he started using it.
Said it works good.

Lol unlike the guys in the old days .
I have a big air compressor in my garage.
Lol some high pressure air comes in handy when cleaning guns

Ballistol was invented around 1870 and contain s nothing but natural materials. It smell rather, uh, interesting, but has many therapeutic properties, especially for those of us who ever suffered the occasional 'Garand thumb'.

I'm told that if you cut it with something like Bombay Sapphire gin, with a LOT of lemon, it makes a reasonable Sundowner, too.

It IS great stuff for cleaning up crudded-up BP guns, though, since that is why it was invented in the fust place.

Ballistol was invented around 1870 and contain s nothing but natural materials. It smell rather, uh, interesting, but has many therapeutic properties, especially for those of us who ever suffered the occasional 'Garand thumb'.

I'm told that if you cut it with something like Bombay Sapphire gin, with a LOT of lemon, it makes a reasonable Sundowner, too.

It IS great stuff for cleaning up crudded-up BP guns, though, since that is why it was invented in the fust place.
Very true! Only product I've ever seen that is simultaneously sold as a gun cleaner/lube and a medicinal remedy at the same time (true story, wiki it). o_O

As far as liquor I think I would just go with anise rather than ballistol though.:p

Eezox appears to be a similar formulation but is marketed as a "dry lube". Both ballistol and eezox appear to leave a micro-film on the metal that seems to build up ever so slightly over time leaving it almost slippery in a dry state. There are a few engine oils which do the same but I'll stay out of that discussion as it tends to make people crazy ha ha.

Very true! Only product I've ever seen that is simultaneously sold as a gun cleaner/lube and a medicinal remedy at the same time (true story, wiki it). o_O

As far as liquor I think I would just go with anise rather than ballistol though.:p

Eezox appears to be a similar formulation but is marketed as a "dry lube". Both ballistol and eezox appear to leave a micro-film on the metal that seems to build up ever so slightly over time leaving it almost slippery in a dry state. There are a few engine oils which do the same but I'll stay out of that discussion as it tends to make people crazy ha ha.
And can be used on leather and all sorts of stuff

So my buddy only has a .454 mold. Risked pouring 100 balls. Didn't think it would shave lead on my new-to-me ROA as it specifies to use .457. But shaved lead it did. Not much, but made for easy loading. 30 grains of Pyrodex FFF and bore butter on top of the ball. Six shots later, permagrin on my face and one ragged 1" hole at 25ft. Slow to load, but this one's a keeper. Cleanup with soap and hot water very easy. I'm hooked.

IMG_1363.JPG

Last Edited:
FYI for any ROA shooters out there, the 3/16 tapered nut driver does a damn fine job a removing nipples (the Traditions wrench won't work)

For revolvers, hot soapy water, 30 minutes in the oven on warm and a spray of Hoppe's #9.:)
Remember to clean out the sink if you want dinner.:eek:
I used to have a section of rain gutter with the ends capped for rifle barrels.:D

I enjoy my black guns (black powder) for target and hunting more than most of my others...and I own a few short and long guns. I also enjoy the slower pace of loading shooting and cleaning them Unless you are a purist and shoot real BP the substitutes work very well. You will be suprised how easy cleaning is if you use Triple 7. And you should not have leading issues at the traditional velocities of BP pistols. I just shoot round balls with accuracy better than I can hold at 25yds. Warning ... BP can be habit forming.
Makes me think of this movie.
" Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie" Evaryone knows this move title...right?
Yup, "The Virgin Connie Swales"...:p

For revolvers, hot soapy water, 30 minutes in the oven on warm and a spray of Hoppe's #9.:)
Remember to clean out the sink if you want dinner.:eek:
I used to have a section of rain gutter with the ends capped for rifle barrels.:D
I was thinking about getting a black powder gun. No way am I going to go through that though for cleaning. I guess I need to cross the Lemat replica off my list. Sigh...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top