JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NO IT WOULDN'T Not if it's a Muzzle loading Blackpowder firearm.

Alright, alright! You don't have to yell!! :p

I was basing my assumption on a cartridge handgun. Guess we all know about assumptions!

But, if I was to go thru the trouble to make something like an adapted single shot blackpowder barrel for a 1911 frame, I would want the rifling for accuracy.

... I got to wondering if anyone had ever made a conversion barrel and slide assembly to fit a 1911 type frame and action....
Sounds like a fun project. I think you'll want some milling capability in addition to your lathe in order to mate up with the frame. A guy really NEEDS a lathe AND a mill anyway...and welding equipment....and...and...but I digress. I agree that you'll want a rifled barrel. I think I'd probably make a frame adapter of aluminum that engages the frame rails that's bored through and mounts your barrel assembly but as always, there's multiple ways to skin that cat.

I once made a .22 cal barrel and magazine for the 1911 but mine used the original slide so I didn't have to make the frame/slide interface. I have mated a slide to a poorly made frame that had to be re-cut to straighten it out. A milling machine and some small keyway cutters will be helpful making your barrel mount.

Alright, alright! You don't have to yell!! :p

I was basing my assumption on a cartridge handgun. Guess we all know about assumptions!

But, if I was to go thru the trouble to make something like an adapted single shot blackpowder barrel for a 1911 frame, I would want the rifling for accuracy.

OK no more yelling.

I was only looking at the idea of the cheapest way to prove the concept by going with a smooth bore. Which has its own little set of advantages over a rifled barrel. But if the concept worked I would buy a section of Green Mountain .40cal 1" Octagon barrel to use as the blank.

And I do have a Milling machine had it since 1987. its the Lathe I just got that got me thinking of fun projects.

Well for years during my knifemaking years I had a borrowed Sherline mini lathe that did almost everything I needed I also did some stuff on a very old small wood lathe I have that has a 3 jaw chuck. Used files to do that work. And of course some turning can be done on the mill.

I found this doing a google search for black powder 1911s... plenty of silly replies on this thread...

Anyway, I have a 54cal muzzleloader conversion for a 1911 in front of me. It came from someone very famous in the gun industry, and was custom built for him by yet another firearms icon. I will post a few photos of it tonight so you can see how it was made!

bp45a.jpg

bp45b.jpg

bp45c.jpg

Theres a whole long article in one of the "handguns " yearly issues.I'm not sure what year the issue was but I got it from the library and in it this guy converted his 1911 to shoot black powder cartridges. Next time I hit the library I'll track it down.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top