JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been toying with the idea of building a .40 cal Blackpowder target pistol with an inline action. While following this chain of thought I got to wondering if anyone had ever made a conversion barrel and slide assembly to fit a 1911 type frame and action.

I have a Star Model B (closest thing I have to a 1911) and looking at how it is assembled between the two main parts (frame and Slide) it looks like it would be nothing to design up a solid slide barrel combo that would slide onto the rails be locked in place with a modified slide release. And allow the flat hammer to hit a precussion cap on an exposed nipple.

This would also allow the pistol to have a little longer barrel since the breach would be all the way back at the hammer.

Anyway anyone ever seen a conversion that someone else made?

I'm thinking to test the idea I could just go with a smooth bore for now.

After all what does one do when they have just bought a new lathe but think up wild projects to explore.

Practical Absolutely not BUT FUN? I'm thinking.

First off, I am jealous you have a lathe, I have wanted one for years. If you are looking for some simple designs for scratch build black powder pistols, look into the underhammer designs. The conversion is an interesting idea, but it seems you could build a complete black powder pistol if you have the rights milling toys.

I say black powder is notoriously unstable, me think you picking the wrong tree to bark up. :s0131:

lolwut.jpg

NO I'm talking about building a single shot MUZZLE LOADING .40 cal target pistol that is made to slid onto the rails of a 1911 style 45. The flat hammer could detonate the precussion cap as well as in my Remington 1858 replica. this way I could have the single shot MUZZLE LOADING target pistol and not have to deal with building over half the pistol. The lock and grip section would all be in the original 1911 frame.

Not using Black powder in a .45ACP cartridge.

The powder is stable. however turning a 1911 into a BP gun makes me wonder about the OP's stability.

Seriously, would this be legal to do, as the s/n is on the frame?

The powder is stable. however turning a 1911 into a BP gun makes me wonder about the OP's stability.

Seriously, would this be legal to do, as the s/n is on the frame?

How would this be any different then changing the barrel or putting a .22 converson kit on said pistol. Really try to think before posting.

Well having shot Black powder in competition for nearly 20 years I have no idea what you talking about.
All of that and a few more years for me and I too am scratching my head!

If you are really dead-set on using an existing frame and modify a barrel to slide onto it try to find a section of rifle barrel you could turn level and then design a set of rails that could be welded on it and fit them to the frame for a semi-sort-of hybrid barrel/slide. Try to find an old barrel from 'something' in at least .35/.36 caliber for ease of loading and handling the projectiles. You mentioned .40 but .45 caliber would be ideal and I think it would be easy to find an old, worn out CVA rifle or pistol for the barrel material. If it were octagonal that might make fabricating rails even easier as that would give you flat surfaces to work with. Heck I have a .45 barrel from an old CVA but that is going to my own crazy project! I completely understand your thinking here - I am always trying something new in my shop.

"How would this be any different then changing the barrel or putting a .22 converson kit on said pistol. "
If I knew i would not have asked.

"Really try to think before posting" - that is the rudest comment I have every recieved on here. You missed a real teachable moment as I was asking a real question. So like the english say, PISS OFF!

Interesting idea. I would probably start with a chunk-o-steel. Incorporate the rails,
a recoil lug on the bottom to contact the frame, the cross hole for the slide stop,
and the rear sight. Bore it straight through to a diameter slightly smaller than the
barrel.

Barrel--front sight, breech plug and nipple. Step it down to fit the bore through
the "slide". Attach to slide--silver solder, nut on back (like Dan Wesson revolvers),
--lot of ways to do it. Don't forget to cut a notch in your chunk-o-steel so the
safety will be functional.

You COULD do it all with a lathe, files and elbow grease, but it milling machine
would make it so much easier.

A smoothbore handgun would require some legal work. I think that would be an AOW, but I am certainly not the one to ask for clarification. Just something I remember from chatting with a person that would know.
I'd probably start with a donor, rifled barrel from something else.

Since this is going to be hybrid anyway why not incorporate 'electronic' ignition as opposed to percussion cap? A model airplane glow plug, microswitch and 1.5 VDC battery. It has been done successfully.

A smoothbore handgun would require some legal work. I think that would be an AOW, but I am certainly not the one to ask for clarification. Just something I remember from chatting with a person that would know.
I'd probably start with a donor, rifled barrel from something else.

NO IT WOULDN'T Not if it's a Muzzle loading Blackpowder firearm.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top