JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's hard to find definitive statistics on gun ownership, but a study by the Pew Research Center released this month indicated that just 16 percent of "non-white women" identified themselves as gun owners, compared with about 25 percent of white women. Other Pew surveys in recent years have shown a growing acceptance of firearms among African-Americans: In 2012, one found that less than a third of black households viewed gun ownership as positive; three years later, that number had jumped. By then, 59 percent of black families saw owning guns as a necessity.

Few states track gun permits by race or gender. But a recent study by gun-rights advocate and researcher John Lott showed that black women outpaced other races and genders in securing concealed carry permits between 2000 and 2016 in Texas, one of the few states that keep detailed demographic information.

Philip Smith founded the National African American Gun Association in 2012 during Black History Month to spread the word that gun ownership was not something reserved for whites. He figured it would ultimately attract about 300 members, a number achieved in its first month. It now boasts 20,000 members in 30 chapters across the country.

Black women picking up firearms for self-defense

So why shouldn't black women carry concealed? They're American's like everyone else. They have safety and security concerns like anybody else, probably more depending where they may live. If they can pass a BGC and meet the requirements then why not? I like law abiding people on my side. Black, Asian, Hispanic, etc, if they are following the law like everyone else then what's the big deal? What I find troubling is when ethnic specific only groups form. If they are exclusionary then there is usually something behind their agenda.

This is a good thing. Maybe the Democratic politicians they mostly vote for will learn that they will vote for a Democratic non gun control politician before they would one that promotes gun control. We should welcome all of the 2nd Amendment support we can get.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top