Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Black Walnut

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by speeddemon94, Apr 27, 2013.

1. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

So I just got a call from my brother. Apparently there is a black walnut that needs to come out at our moms house and someone has given her the idea that it would be well served for stocks and the like.

Any lines or ideas on a firearms manufacturer that could be interested in something like this?

At least a 75 year old tree fairly straight and not knotted badly. If I had any skill with fiddly wood work like that I would take it on myself.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If its to be used for gun stocks it has to be cut for that. It will take maybe 3+ years before the wood is ready to even think about being used. I know gunsmiths who make muzzle loading rifles that won't use wood that hasn't been under their control for at least 5 years and are more comfortable with 10 years before use. Your best bet is to call someone like Goby Hardwood and ask them Lumber, Wood, Slabs, Gunstock Blanks | Walnut, Maple, Figured Maple, Curly Maple, Quilted Maple, Madrone, Myrtle | Goby Walnut And typically straight grain and not highly figured is not what someone is looking for when it comes to gun stocks.

3. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

You might want to read the Treebone Carving "pricing" page where he talks about the age of the wood and the figuring. I don't know if he'd be interested in your wood or not, but he's a pretty good guy and might give you some clues:

price list

4. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

I've had a slab of black walnut that was given to me when I got an old '94. Had the slab of wood for about 20 years now as the last owner had planned to make new stocks from it and I decided replacing the wood would have devalued the old 1916. Looks like some of the people above have some good ideas for where to sell it. I know a guy here on the forum that does tree trimming/removal if you need services to help cut it down - you would probably get a "friends and family" discount...
    let me know if you need contact info.

5. speeddemon94

Cool, thanks guys.

She actually has 4, and this is the smallest of the bunch... I just don't want her to give up all of her shade!

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your gonna have some mighty unhappy squirrels too.

7. speeddemon94

We never had squirrels in Medford.

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Up here in Portland, you would be lucky to even get one before the little buggers ran off with them all.

9. speeddemon94

Yeah, and Grants Pass was the same way... Just nothing in Medford. We would see them occasionally out in the hills as kids, and shoot them. Big silver gray squirrels are tasty.

10. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Call the big gun companies, I know a guy who mills trees and he just sold tons of black walnut to Browning (I think), for a small fortune.