JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just got a call from my brother. Apparently there is a black walnut that needs to come out at our moms house and someone has given her the idea that it would be well served for stocks and the like.

Any lines or ideas on a firearms manufacturer that could be interested in something like this?

At least a 75 year old tree fairly straight and not knotted badly. If I had any skill with fiddly wood work like that I would take it on myself.

If its to be used for gun stocks it has to be cut for that. It will take maybe 3+ years before the wood is ready to even think about being used. I know gunsmiths who make muzzle loading rifles that won't use wood that hasn't been under their control for at least 5 years and are more comfortable with 10 years before use. Your best bet is to call someone like Goby Hardwood and ask them Lumber, Wood, Slabs, Gunstock Blanks | Walnut, Maple, Figured Maple, Curly Maple, Quilted Maple, Madrone, Myrtle | Goby Walnut And typically straight grain and not highly figured is not what someone is looking for when it comes to gun stocks.

You might want to read the Treebone Carving "pricing" page where he talks about the age of the wood and the figuring. I don't know if he'd be interested in your wood or not, but he's a pretty good guy and might give you some clues:

<broken link removed>

Please call if need be - Mountain time, 9 to 5 575-376-2145

Treebone Carving
George Petersen
PO Box 551
Cimarron, New Mexico 87714

I've had a slab of black walnut that was given to me when I got an old '94. Had the slab of wood for about 20 years now as the last owner had planned to make new stocks from it and I decided replacing the wood would have devalued the old 1916. Looks like some of the people above have some good ideas for where to sell it. I know a guy here on the forum that does tree trimming/removal if you need services to help cut it down - you would probably get a "friends and family" discount...
let me know if you need contact info.

Yeah, and Grants Pass was the same way... Just nothing in Medford. We would see them occasionally out in the hills as kids, and shoot them. Big silver gray squirrels are tasty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top