JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's not manufactured anymore, but I believe you can buy/sell/trade what remaining stock of it there is floating around.

It's kinda like the steel core 7.62x39 that was imported back in the day before it was cited as armor piercing. You can find that stuff, but its all "new" old ammo. If I had a chance to grab some Black Talon I would. I'm not worried about shooting 20+ year old ammo as long as it was stored correctly.

It's kinda like the steel core 7.62x39 that was imported back in the day before it was cited as armor piercing. You can find that stuff, but its all "new" old ammo. If I had a chance to grab some Black Talon I would. I'm not worried about shooting 20+ year old ammo as long as it was stored correctly.
Off the top of my head, even tho it was only yesterday i saw it, seems he had 3 boxes for $50 ea, but don't quote me on that.

I had a little stash left over from 'Black Talon Decade'.....

A small LGS was paying *ME* $35/box 9mm & $40/45 acp.
It was replaced by IIRC the "Ranger" line....exact copies so I'm told, but without the 'legal front load implications'...........

Are Black Talons a legal ammo to buy/sell? I ask because I saw some for sale on the great reliable Armslist site. Just wondering
The "Design" is still made. It was a poor choice of name when it hit. It gave liberals something to point at and call bad. After all we can't have bullets that are supposed to hurt the person you shoot. Since they changed the name people have been trying to con people into buying the stuff with the original name. Many believe it's "magic" ammo that will drop and elephant and such. No it's not illegal unless you live where HP are not allowed, like NJ. There really is not reason to pay premium price for the stuff. You can still buy the same ammo new, just does not have the sexy name.

The "Design" is still made. It was a poor choice of name when it hit. It gave liberals something to point at and call bad. After all we can't have bullets that are supposed to hurt the person you shoot. Since they changed the name people have been trying to con people into buying the stuff with the original name. Many believe it's "magic" ammo that will drop and elephant and such. No it's not illegal unless you live where HP are not allowed, like NJ. There really is not reason to pay premium price for the stuff. You can still buy the same ammo new, just does not have the sexy name.
What is the diff between the green tip and the Black Talons? I ask cause I just don't know.

I had a little stash left over from 'Black Talon Decade'.....

A small LGS was paying *ME* $35/box 9mm & $40/45 acp.
It was replaced by IIRC the "Ranger" line....exact copies so I'm told, but without the 'legal front load implications'...........

Yeah, right after that guy shot up that lawyer office I went out and bought a case of the stuff while it was still for sale and the prices were not jacked up. It worked really well in my Glock 21. I still have it, not for sale - even though I could make a decent profit, it isn't worth it for me and I *know* it works well so I am just hanging onto it; I need good dependable ammo more than I need cash. Bullet design has progressed since then - Black Talon isn't so special anymore, and not worth the premium prices over ammo that is just as effective.

What is the diff between the green tip and the Black Talons? I ask cause I just don't know.

The color of the slug means nada. It's the design. Media had a field day with these. All kinds of stories about how they were like a "buzz saw" going through and such. It was why Win dropped them. All that matters is the design of the bullet and the speed the round gets it too.

Black Talon

IMG_1146.JPG

Sig Elite Performance
IMG_1147.JPG

Although I keep 147 grain Black Talon in my home protection pistol, it is considered to be old school. There are many better choices in self defense loads out there - at least so I am told. I wonder why I haven't switched to HST, Gold Dots or Critical Duty?

I found a box of Winchester 9mm 147gr SXT rounds in my stash. The hollow point is a bit smaller than the 147gr Ranger-T rounds. I will probably use them at the gun range.

One prime is bad on a 50 round box:

IMG_1749.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads