JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope. I didn't watch tv in the early 90's.

January 10, 1994 Washington Post
"But some medical groups have complained that the Black Talon's sharp, curling edges pose risks during surgery because they are more likely to tear a surgeon's gloves and expose the surgeon and victim to infection during an attempt to remove the bullet."
Probably where "ER" writers stole the idea

I have bought a shot Winchester 9mm Ranger SXT rounds which are almost the same thing minus the Black Lubalox coating. I got them relatively inexpensively and shot them at the gun range. I have carried 147gr Winchester Ranger-T rounds but I have shot most of them up over years. I carry Federal 147gr HST rounds now.

Last Edited:
It kinda sounded like BS to me, but you never know when some anti-2A crap might slip by you. Crazy, baseless nonsense happens all the time and never hurts to confirm.

Thanks for the inputs.

Side note: If anyone has premium bonded SD ammo in .40 or 9mm they want to trade for BT .40's ... at 6:1 .... I know a guy!:s0140:

I have a buddy.... he owns a bunch of black talon ammo, but was recently told (with all certainty by an FFL) that it was banned and illegal?

I thought it was just that the antis made a big stink about it so they stopped making it, but that it was still legal to possess/sell/buy. Then winchester basically put out the exact same ammo without the speciaized coating and all has been good ever since.

Am I misinformed?

Asking for a friend..... 👍
Not illegal, just scary. Doctors were supposedly afraid of getting cut by the expanded and admittedly sharp petals of the expanded bullet when they were digging them out of people. The bullets were functionally no different from Remington's Golden Saber or PMC's Starfire, but that Black Talon name got all the attention so Winchester stopped it, but I don't think Winchester really changed anything except the name to "Ranger" and the color of the bullet. Black Talons command a high price nowadays.

It kinda sounded like BS to me, but you never know when some anti-2A crap might slip by you. Crazy, baseless nonsense happens all the time and never hurts to confirm.

Thanks for the inputs.

Side note: If anyone has premium bonded SD ammo in .40 or 9mm they want to trade for BT .40's ... at 6:1 .... I know a guy!:s0140:
If you really want to pick nits, technically they have been banned once. In one state, along with all other hollow-point ammunition. That state is New Jersey, and that law is still in effect today. And they call them "hollow nose or dum-dum bullets". :rolleyes:

73c1d7331507454c29f7f51ff31483d2ed0b4a84.jpg 1280px-Ordnance_Factory_Dum_Dum_-_1846_Ammunition_Factory_-_Jessore_Road_-_Kolkata_2017-08-08_...jpg

Dum dum

If you really want to pick nits, technically they have been banned once. In one state, along with all other hollow-point ammunition. That state is New Jersey, and that law is still in effect today. And they call them "hollow nose or dum-dum bullets". :rolleyes:
I browsed a little and think I saw too it was at least proposed to ban them in kalifederation as well. If it became law or not I know not.

So basically... what everyone is telling me is that... out of respect for the medical profession... I should paint them pink and I'll be good to go!(?) ;)

I browsed a little and think I saw too it was at least proposed to ban them in kalifederation as well. If it became law or not I know not.

So basically... what everyone is telling me is that... out of respect for the medical profession... I should paint them pink and I'll be good to go!(?) ;)
I think I have this right. If somebody has better information, please correct me. In New Jersey they would prefer that you stop buying guns altogether. California wants to you stop buying guns and put on a dress.

I have a buddy.... he owns a bunch of black talon ammo, but was recently told (with all certainty by an FFL) that it was banned and illegal?

I thought it was just that the antis made a big stink about it so they stopped making it, but that it was still legal to possess/sell/buy. Then winchester basically put out the exact same ammo without the speciaized coating and all has been good ever since.

Am I misinformed?

Asking for a friend..... 👍
Just my .02, not to be taken as legal advice, it is 100% legal. That being said, i was cautioned many moons ago, to never purchase or load it into any of my firearms. Reason being, back then it was a common question asked by district attorneys in shootings. They villianized anyone who used it. Thus, if you could say no to that line of questioning, it helped you out. Lot of good that does if youre dead, but i digress... I have not heard of anyone asking that question in years.

Throughout my years of being a gun owner, I have come to find that a large number of FFLs are completely clueless on a lot of gun laws. Which is very peculiar because you would think an FFL would take the time to educate themselves on the laws of their profession...

Throughout my years of being a gun owner, I have come to find that a large number of FFLs are completely clueless on a lot of gun laws. Which is very peculiar because you would think an FFL would take the time to educate themselves on the laws of their profession...
That's been my experience as well. Not that there aren't well educated FFL's, but they appear to be the minority. "Most" seem to be very confident in what they say, but as a general rule... it's BS and should always be confirmed through other sources.

I think many confuse their "business policies" with what the laws actually are... and are not always one and the same.

1679398424954.png

Aloha, Mark

PS..........consider for a moment.
Say that....... I bought something legally.
So then....... IF, the Govt wanted it. They might be able to buy it from me.
But, I might just think that it's worth way more than what the Govt wants to pay.
We might/maybe could, negotiate a price, maybe. But, that's me.
Just taking my stuff or outlawing it (so I could no longer own it). Well......that just seems so UNCONSTITUTIONAL (to me).

Last Edited:
Whoever told you it's illegal is a moron and a fudd
San Francisco's Black Talon Ban Comes a Little Too Late
04/16/2013
https://www.guns.com/news/2013/04/16/san-franciscos-black-talon-ban-comes-a-little-too-late

In the massive surge to draft new gun control legislation across the nation, you could be forgiven for not noticing the local San Francisco push to ban hollowpoint ammo.

Specifically, the new law bans Winchester Black Talons. This is interesting if for only the fact that Winchester hasn't made Black Talon ammunition for two decades.

I do not understand why Black Talon causes people so much confusion as to the timeline and the bullet box ID number and or name.. For one Black Talon was always SXT, if you look at an Actual Black Talon box it says SXT on the side of it. To be clear after they removed it form the civilian market it was renamed Ranger SXT Controlled Expansion and still had the Black Lubalox coated bullets but they now sat atop brass cases in 50 round boxes, although they did still produce it for law enforcement with nickel cases in boxes of 20 rounds. Production of the Lubalox coated bullets ceased in 2000 and after that the name changed to Ranger T Series but some boxes said Ranger SXT but the bullet ID was RA40T or RA9T, which is the same as it is to this day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top