JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a buddy.... he owns a bunch of black talon ammo, but was recently told (with all certainty by an FFL) that it was banned and illegal?

I thought it was just that the antis made a big stink about it so they stopped making it, but that it was still legal to possess/sell/buy. Then winchester basically put out the exact same ammo without the speciaized coating and all has been good ever since.

Am I misinformed?

Asking for a friend..... đź‘Ť

Last Edited:
I'll preface this with this is how I understand it, no ammo is illegal on a consumer level there is restrictions on manufacture/import/commercial sales ie ap ammo. But even ap 9mm can be bought and sold on a personal level. You are correct about black talon they made a big deal about it for no reason (all reports are it didn't actually do anything special I mean common it's a hollow point) they stopped making it just cause it wasn't worth the hassle and came out with the ranger sxt or if you prefer Same eXact Thing.

Black Talon, sounded too scary I think. They should have named it "hello kitty ammo", that sounds much less scary. In fact every firearm and accessory should be renamed,assault type rifles should be called "howdy do"" rifles. tactical night vision scopes "hooty owl vision". See? Much friendlier and not scary at all.

I have a buddy.... he owns a bunch of black talon ammo, but was recently told (with all certainty by an FFL) that it was banned and illegal?

I thought it was just that the antis made a big stink about it so they stopped making it, but that it was still legal to possess/sell/buy. Then winchester basically put out the exact same ammo without the speciaized coating and all has been good ever since.

Am I misinformed?

Asking for a friend..... đź‘Ť
I have seen Black Talon ammo sold for crazy high prices at every gun show in AZ, I don't suppose that makes it legal tho...

Buying, possessing and using Black Talon ammunition is not illegal (unless your state/locale has criminalized hollow point ammunition). Otherwise you are good to go.

Yes it was made a big deal of because of the black coating Winchester put on the projectiles. Was rumored to defeat ballistic (Kevlar) vests of the day, though I don't believe that was ever proven.

Winchester stopped applying the black coating and viola we have Winchester PDX ammo. In recent years Black talon ammunition seems to have become a collectible, especially at the prices being asked for it.

It's still legal, it's just that Winchester voluntarily took it off the market after a fair amount of negative publicity. Ammo is quite expensive ($100 for 20 rounds of pistol loads etc.) Interesting rounds, but sure not worth the lofty prices they go for, and in this sue happy country we live in, probably not worth the litigation that could follow if used in self defense.

In recent years Black talon ammunition seems to have become a collectible, especially at the prices being asked for it.
Hmmm... maybe I should look into that. I would cash in a box of black talon for 4-5 boxes of... the exact same ammo without the black. If it's important to me... I know how to use a sharpie!

Err.. I mean... I'll tell my buddy.

The Black Talons actually grab the flesh and fly off with it! I would be extra cautious and stay far away from that ammunition you shoot out of the gun. Plus it just sounds super scary! You never know what could happen?

Probably the same mindset that thinks a 5.7 FN round is a cop-killer machine gun round and therefore illegal :rolleyes:
The difference being the 5.7 rounds will defeat most handgun rated soft vests (my old department get into a shootout with a guy using one of these. I have a bunch of Black Talon because it was what we used to carry, none in the original packaging, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure is sucks compared to what is available now as far as expanding. The next time I do some ballistics gel testing I'll try a few rounds and post the results.

It morphed into a few different names sans coating from what I understand. It was deemed politically incorrect.

I have 15 rounds of 45 acp Black Talons left lever from the last century.

I thought I read somewhere that it was ER docs that got them banned as they were slicing the fingers of the folks poking around for bullets. Probably some b.s. coming from Ayoob or the like.

The most unappreciated part of the ammunition when they removed it from the market long ago was in the name!
(BLACK)!
The critics and anti gun crowd focused on the "Black Talon" name. In 1993 Winchester discontinued the pistol calibers and the entire line completely in 2000. At no time was the round ever prohibited by United States law. In was estimated that as many as 400 police departments at some point or another carried Black Talon ammunition in their service weapons. Even though the Black Talon was a PR nightmare for Winchester, it was not a complete loss. Most of the design for it was rolled over into the Ranger SXT ammunition, which operates on much of the same principles.

The most unappreciated part of the ammunition when they removed it from the market long ago was in the name!
(BLACK)!
The critics and anti gun crowd focused on the "Black Talon" name. In 1993 Winchester discontinued the pistol calibers and the entire line completely in 2000. At no time was the round ever prohibited by United States law. In was estimated that as many as 400 police departments at some point or another carried Black Talon ammunition in their service weapons. Even though the Black Talon was a PR nightmare for Winchester, it was not a complete loss. Most of the design for it was rolled over into the Ranger SXT ammunition, which operates on much of the same principles.
Whooo, kinda racist? Gotta be careful and inclusive with all the other colors, Maybe rename them Rainbow sxt instead of BLACK TALON?

That was on a network TV show. A hospital drama wrote that into 1 episode.
I have 15 rounds of 45 acp Black Talons left lever from the last century.

I thought I read somewhere that it was ER docs that got them banned as they were slicing the fingers of the folks poking around for bullets. Probably some b.s. coming from Ayoob or the like.

How's that different from 5.56, or really, any other rifle round? The 5.7 is a rifle, not pistol caliber, if one looks at what firearm was first to use it (FN P90)
5.7 will fit in a Glock sized weapon and still be somewhat effective. I've never seen a Glock sized 5.56 or 6.5 anything worth a darn. 5.7 is as much a rifle round as .22lr is anymore

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top