JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
well i got my first black rifle about 6-8 months ago (dpms oracle 5.56 stainless carbine) i didnt like the stock look of it so i changed a few things: milspec buffer assembly, SSAR stock, daniel defense EZ-CAR handguards, magpul angled foregrip, spikes tactical barrel shroud and leupold deltapoint

after i got done with that i decided i couldnt just have one so i decided to build a 20" rifle length AR.

figured i would get an assembled upper for my first build so i went with a YHM lightweight rifle upper assembly (1in7 20" fluted barrel, quadrail freefloat handguard, assembled upper and bolt). i added a magpul rvg grip, YHM bipod adapter, burris p.e.p.r mount and a leupold mark AR 4-12x40 scope with mildot reticle
for the lower i went with a stripped SAA and assembled it with a psa lpk, geissele ssa 2-stage trigger, hogue grip, a2 buffer assembly and an ace skeleton stock.

i got that all the way finished besides getting a bipod and good flipups for it and decided well heck i cant have only one caliber in my black rifle family so i decided to build another in 300 AAC blackout.

i decided to build both the upper and lower myself on this one and so far have only completed the upper -bolt carrier assembly.
built with daniel defense upper w/ dpms parts, vltor gunfighter CH, 1in8 16" ultra-lite stoner barrel, MI SS-series customizable tube ext carbine with a YHM low pro clamp on gas block under it, dsa trident flashhider and leupold prismatic dot sight.
the lower is gonna be exactly the same as my rifle length besides the trigger, i have a geiselle SD 3-gun trigger i will be throwing in there for now.

well now that i am almost finished with this one i am thinking of building yet another in a different caliber. was thinking of 243wssm or 204 ruger and looking for other peoples thoughts on these or if i should go with a different caliber.

here are a few pics of my black rifles::

the 300 blackout is sitting on my rifle lower for the pic, it will look exactly the same accept i will paint it different if i paint it at all.
i am also planning on getting a freefloat for the dpms that will extend over the shroud.

yeah, it is ugly as sin but sure a blast to play with at the range.
i will be putting an acs stock on it but will still put the slide fire on it from time to time to play with.

i am still debating on if i am gonna use the 300 blackout for deer hunting this year, it is a hard decision to take such a perdy rifle out in harsh weather when i dont have too. i have bolt guns for that although if i do build one in 243wssm that will be its primary purpose.

EDIT: also considering going 308 so's i can use it on elk too

gonna be ordering some factory ammo for it here soon and then i will take it out to the range to test for functionality. if all goes well it will most likely go along with me this deer season.
i also trimmed and formed 50 223 cases and 50 5.56 cases for 300 BLK
i am gonna load them up (supersonic) and bring them as well but i want to test it out initially with factory ammo.

i will also be getting my first suppressor this tax season to go on it then i will start working up some subsonics. i will most likely sbr it at this time as well

ill be getting some h110 for the supers and already have an 8# jug of 1680 for the subs

I got over my BRD long ago. After some research,you will find the AR to be a great varmint gun.Not thee best HD SD weapon ever made.
The fad wears off. You find other 22s to shoot that aren't as expensive
Yeah a 223/556 is just a fast 22.Not a great man stopper

You'll move on to nicer looking guns in better calibers

yeah, i have my mossberg 500, glock 30 and sp101 for HD-SD situations
i have mt savage 93 in 22mag and 2 savage 116fhss's 1 in 30-06 and 1 in 300wm for hunting.
i have my ruger mark2 and 10-22 for cheap plinking fun and wabbit hunting.
and i have my ar's because i like the tacticool look and they are fun and semi cheap to shoot.

I have a similar disease with beatifully sporterized milsurp hunting rifles. Mausers, Springfields, lee-enfields, etc. Couple that with a black rifle disease and a S&W revolver disease, and i have a full safe and an empty bank account most of the time...

Just wait till you can rationalize a sbr ar that when it get really fun
And bear if you got an 03A3 I might be able to help with your bank account

I have two 03a3's and one sporterized 1903. One of the 03a3's is in original condition and will remain so. One of the 03a3's is a polished and clipped barrelled action at the moment that is being built into a scout rifle. They are locked into my project list for now. But to keep with the theme of the thread, the scout rifle project will likely be ceramic coated black... :)

Ceramic is the kitty.. I am currently gathering parts for an HK 93 build, it will be tigerstriped ceracote with the barrel and internals nitrided

The disease can only get worse/better depending on how you look at it. I've been bitten by various build bugs starting with AK pistols back in the mid 90s before everyone and their uncle were doing it. After the AK bug was cured it was HK stuff, an uzi or two, the first AR (still have it) built for under $450, and eventually the FAL bug bit. I haven't been immunized for the 1911 bug yet and hear it may be going around and I saw a few plans for some bolt actions that might convince me to fire up the mill/lathe soon. Looking back I wish I had kept all of them but many had to go to pay for the hobby.

I'm starting to give a second thought to those dot type sights after seeing so many rifles with them and no irons, I have only had experience with sub $100 dot sights and they all left me frustrated. I still can't see the advantage they have over irons besides being able to keep both eyes open, but I can't agree with the lack of easy adjustments for elevation and windage. Every video I have seen online of eotechs/aimpoints/etc seem to be fairly accurate, hitting what the user is aiming at but still seam to leave fist size groups

in most cases i think i could deal with fist size groups from a rifle with a dot sight, i am planning on putting buis on both of the 5.56's but there is alot of other stuff in my list before that.

I have the same disease. It all started with a standard 20" rifle, then a carbine, then a carbine in 7.62X39. Now I'm looking into doing a dedicated .22 LR build and a pistol caliber carbine. Thinking about .40 or .45 for that build.

Ha! I got it about a year ago. Got a dpms carbine and now some how have ended up with a total of 4 including a dpms .223 SASS. I freaking love that thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top