JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have , albeit only with original 19th century revolvers...both were Colt revolvers.
One was a 1851 Navy and the other a model 1849.

Both shot well , due to the quality of workmanship of the conversion , I think.
( Neither were "factory" done...but converted by a talented gunsmith "back in the day " )

I have shot modern made cap and ball revolvers that either were converted to center-fire or had a center-fire conversion kit.....
In my experience and opinion...
They worked well....but were neither "fish or fowl"...

If you want a cartridge revolver....buy and shoot a revolver actually made for cartridges.
( This is from a guy who loves muzzle loading and black powder firearms ,and who thinks that breech loading , cartridge guns are just a passin' fad....:D )
Andy

Last Edited:
If you want a cartridge revolver....buy and shoot a revolver actually made for cartridges.
I have to agree with this.

I shoot BP as well as cartridge guns however I do not see the practically of a .22 conversion for a BP revolver, nor can I imagine it being very accurate. And did you notice the prices of a conversions kit? For near that you can probably find a good, used Single Six - or easily a new Wrangler.

I agree with Andy on buying a revolver made for cartridges - and keep your BP shooting 'traditional'.

Get yourself a Ruger Wrangler for about $200.

I bought my grandson this one (and added the wood grips) for his birthday…. his literal "zero" birthday.

I have to get me one (or maybe a Blackhawk) now, too! LOL

F6315CD8-35B2-4DC6-8DF3-0C40DD605B76.jpeg

Interesting little idea they came up with but cost? For the cost of the kit you can buy a NIB Ruger Wrangler .22 and have plenty left over. If you want then to fit the thing to your gun you could buy a couple NIB Wranglers and have some left over.

I took a look at those conversions on the Kirst site. Cool idea, interesting. I could see them as being useful for practicing with your cap-and-ball revolver without the hassle and expense of black powder.

I don't see them as being particularly useful as a .22LR revolver, in place of an actual .22LR revolver. I have to agree completely with the posters before me.

The Wrangler is the best value around right now, when it comes to inexpensive .22 single action revolvers. If you're going to shoot it much at all, don't get a Heritage Rough Rider, save up a few extra dollars and buy the Wrangler. It's a far better gun.

I'm not aware of anyone else who make a conversion, but I also hadn't heard of the Kirst conversion either.

You can't go wrong with a stainless Single Six. Personally I think it would be a much more useful and enjoyable .22 revolver than a conversion, and worth waiting for. Just for myself, I've found that it's most often worth waiting for exactly what I want, rather than settling for what's available now.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with getting what you want, just because you want it. If you would enjoy a cap-and-ball .22LR conversion, then by all means get one. That is, whenever they become available again.

Last Edited:
Getting a BP gun and converting it to fire cartridges is one way to get past the 4473 stuff. Sounds like a fun tinkering project

I like the heritage rough riders. They make a steel frame version and most are zinc alloy frame versions. They come in barrel lengths of 2" 3", 3.5" birdshead, 4.75", 6.5", 9", 12", and 16". Many different grips, finishes, and and cylinder options. 6 or 9 shot. 22WMR cylinders or fancy 22lr cylinders (see pic below for example) are about $30.

Normally u can find the 6.5" 6 shot w/ non adjustable sights for about $99-$119 during the holiday sales. They have four click colt SAA action which I love. I have had zero issues with all the ones I have and just ordered a 9" one yesterday to add to the fun. Great fun for little money and they r reliable.

DB3D2A45-A06D-48F1-91E3-A03437AA77D1.jpeg

Last Edited:
The Rough Rider is a decent value for the money, so long as you get a good one. They do wear out if you shoot them a lot. A friend of mine has one that he's shot a fair amount for a number of years, and it's sloppy loose, just plain worn out.

I bought one several years ago and the barrel came loose in just a couple months, maybe a couple hundred rounds. It was reasonably accurate, but shot the annoying key-hole flier pretty often. It costs $50 to return to Heritage for repair. Most all other gun companies will send a free label for a new gun that's defective, but Heritage charges $50.

It came back with a good barrel, but negative cylinder gap. That's right, the cylinder face was actually rubbing on the barrel! I was shocked that their repair shop actually sent it out that way. No remotely competent gunsmith would ever let something like that leave their shop.

Compare a Rough Rider side by side with a Wrangler. They're similar, but the Ruger is solid and smooth, more like a real gun. The RR, to me, is more along the line of a pot metal cap gun. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's what it seems like to me, side by side. The Ruger is typically about $50 more than the RR, but in my opinion it's WELL worth the extra money.

I do like the looks of those long-barrel Rough Riders, wish I could bring myself to buy one. Heritage makes a neat assortment of guns. Like I said, if you get a good one and don't shoot it excessively, you'll probably be happy with it.

I really wanted a Ruger Single-Six stainless steel 22 and my dealer is on the outlook for me. I have the 1858 Remington already and was looking to perhaps adding the 22 in this. Kirst shows out of stock, so I wanted to ask around..
Depending on how much you want to pay he can get you one now. I have not paid attention to these for a long time so no idea what the rate should be. Used going for $550. NIB Super that comes with both cylinders is $750. Would have to add shipping and what your dealer wants to do the transfer for these of course. They are not cheap but one would most likely outlive you :D

Perhaps there is a nice used on out there. Need to be careful as some years ago a purchased a lightly used 22 semi auto (High Standard) from the 1950's. Brought it home and FIL looked it over and he found a small bulge in the barrel. Brought it back to the shop about 2 hours after the purchase and they said I was SOL.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads