JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, Larry here. I've got a reproduction "Hawkin" black powder and I need to pick up all the tooling for it- black powder, horn, "possibles bag", etc. Where's the best place to get this stuff? Thank you

It seems Sportsman's and even Bi-Mart usually has BP or the like and caps and stuff. I'd call first though. For a horn or measure, I like the CVA flask measure.
I think it comes with a couple nipples that you can file down to what you want if you want. They used to sell those in all the stores that'd carry reloading supplies.
Oh, and for a possibles bag, surplus stores usually carry old German gasmask bags of various sizes and shapes.

our Sportsmans' in Vancouver has more than our Bimarts do,real bp is heavily regulated and hard to find.Our bimart hs plenty of bp subs on hand tho.And some round ball and hunting bullets,etc.

If you get down this way there is a heck of a little shop on the Oregon side of the river,East of Portland.It looks like he will ship.

Muzzleloading and More

It's a real neat place to visit,and I have bought real bp there.

If you go with a metering flask like the photograph above do not load the rifle directly from the flask ... having all of that black powder above the barrel, with a potential spark in the barrel is a recipe for disaster.

Good luck with the front loader. I have been shoving patched round balls and minnies from the front for 40 years. Once you smell the black you will never go back.

Also, if you want to do the mail order route on some of your gear. Besides the Emporium in Springfield, take a look at Buffalo Arms in Idaho, they do allot of cartridge black powder but have allot of things for a front stuffer!

Getting real black is kinda've a pain these days as ATF has classed it as an explosive, which puts pretty strict limits on quantities available at most retailers (max 5lbs in a magazine!). However there are some very good, high quality black powder substitutes available, my personal favorite is american pioneer, IMHO it's better than real black, as while it produces smoke it doesn't tend to be anywhere near as corrosive as RB, and it loads gr for gr with BP. Hodgdon has triple 7 and pyrodex, both of which are totally inferior products compared to AP. T7 doesn't work unless the compression is right, and pyrodex still has all the same negative benefits of running BP. AP is a pleasure to work with, the smoke isn't as aggrivating as T7 (I think I'm allergic to it), and T7 is about 30% more power per grain.

Getting real black is kinda've a pain these days as ATF has classed it as an explosive, which puts pretty strict limits on quantities available at most retailers (max 5lbs in a magazine!). However there are some very good, high quality black powder substitutes available, my personal favorite is american pioneer, IMHO it's better than real black, as while it produces smoke it doesn't tend to be anywhere near as corrosive as RB, and it loads gr for gr with BP. Hodgdon has triple 7 and pyrodex, both of which are totally inferior products compared to AP. T7 doesn't work unless the compression is right, and pyrodex still has all the same negative benefits of running BP. AP is a pleasure to work with, the smoke isn't as aggrivating as T7 (I think I'm allergic to it), and T7 is about 30%
Have friends who shop here, good people. They also sell real black powder.
Hey Guys, Making your own blackpowder is actually very very simple provided you buy a small ball mill, the lead balls to go in it for the milling. I've made really good Black powder. All you need is a place in the country to put your ball mill while you're milling. The important part is corning it into actual grains. I'd be happy to help you through this.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top