Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Black powder? SHTF

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by manakiah, Nov 28, 2010.

1. manakiah

manakiah Issaquah Wa Member

I haven't heard much about using black powder rifles in a SHTF. Do you think this would be a bad choice?

2. BWH

BWH Tualatin, Oregon Active Member

Would be a great choice!
    Talking traditional flinters or caplock, one does need to understand operation, loading and cleaning.
    They served our forefathers well prior to the smokeless/cartridge age.
    BP(real stuff)keeps for a long time, and if using a flinter, one can almost always find a rock that will spark!

...and they are not classified as a true firearm (no background check/ form 4077)

3. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

In a SHTF situation, any firearm is better than no firearm!!!

It would not be my first choice for self defense but still a very capable firearm for hunting, & in a "LIFE OR DEATH" situation there are some good applications for black powder!!

4. cash$$cow

cash$$cow Eastern Wa Member

I would think being on the move with enough powder, primers and bullets and maintaining the ablilty to keep it all dry would be an additional worry for me.

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I have 2 - 50 cal Hawkens rifles, 12g side by side and 3 revovlers w/ 2 spare cyclnders each. 20lbs lead and not sure on my BP.
    As for keeping it dry, you could always do what my dad started.. vacume packing it with his food saver

6. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I've thought about this - usually after going to the annual Cascade Mountain Men gun show in Monroe. However, I'd rather not rely on a black powder gun when other people may be shooting back at me with modern cartridges. Modern cartridges last a long time when stored correctly; I'd rather just stock up on them.

7. jlittlewolf

jlittlewolf Eugene Member

Speed loaders work great for keeping everything dry and ready to go! And vacuum sealing works perfect for storing black powder long term!! As for keeping it dry... My speed loaders worked perfectly for pouring down rain and and snow packed mountains... My rifle had no problem firing either... But if it hasn't been prepared then it can easily be taken out of action... And it is a traditional style Great Plains 54 cal.... 425 grains of lead and 90 grains of powder!