JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

Like many of you on this forum I always have a sidearm with me as I traverse through the forests and hills of the great Pacific Northwest. Generally I carry either a 45ACP or .357 Magnum. Since there are no Grizzly bears in Oregon I don't need anything bigger.

My 1851 .44 Cal revolver often sits alone and neglected in the safe at home while I am out an about. It's a real shame since I love shooting black powder.

So my question is this:

Who has carried a black powder pistol as their sidearm while traversing through the woods?

I have taken an Uberti Colt 1862 Pocket police in 36 cal. Not exactly a powerhouse but smaller sized and a bit lighter. Would usually do some plinking along the way so had powder, shot and caps with me. But for regular backwoods carry its usually a reliable modern semi-auto handgun.

I don't know if your particular revolver could be safely charged enough to do the job.
A Ruger Old Army can, but that's the only one I'm sure of.

ho has carried a black powder pistol as their sidearm while traversing through the woods?
my old time neighbor Floyd was an active gold mine employee in Hells Canyon circa 1900. I talked often with him about 'those times'. He often made the 2 day journey by horseback from his cabin near the mine just below present day Oxbow Dam, to his home in Weiser Idaho. I asked if he felt vulnerable in his journeys. He reported with his 'Colt 45 on my hip & a good rifle in my scabbard I never felt vulnerable. When I knew him, in his 70s/80s/90s he was just a whisp of a man. Probably stood 5'7 & weighed in at around 140# in his prime. So 'caliber matters' even in those days. Yes, the Holy Black is what he used as the smokeless was 'too expensive' & 'hard to get'.......:confused:

my old time neighbor Floyd was an active gold mine employee in Hells Canyon circa 1900. I talked often with him about 'those times'. He often made the 2 day journey by horseback from his cabin near the mine just below present day Oxbow Dam, to his home in Weiser Idaho. I asked if he felt vulnerable in his journeys. He reported with his 'Colt 45 on my hip & a good rifle in my scabbard I never felt vulnerable. When I knew him, in his 70s/80s/90s he was just a whisp of a man. Probably stood 5'7 & weighed in at around 140# in his prime. So 'caliber matters' even in those days. Yes, the Holy Black is what he used as the smokeless was 'too expensive' & 'hard to get'.......:confused:
Wow! I bet he had some stories to tell...

I have carried various 1851 Navy revolvers , both replica and real ones by Colt as well as the Colt 1860 Army models...again both replica and those by Colt...

They make for fun plinkers ...for sure and would do the job if needed to for almost any threat one can comes across out here.

My one concern when using said cap and ball revolver for protection , is that some folks don't take them seriously , and that can limit the outcome of the situation.

By limit the outcome...in many cases of defensive gun use ...the drawing of the gun , will cause the threat to leave....
But , in my experience , many people's misconceptions about muzzleloaders , can lead them to think that they are not lethal or as "deadly" as a "real gun"....
So the two legged threat may , just think that your cap and ball revolver , ain't much to worry about , and continue to be threat and limit your and his options....
Andy

Hey Folks,

Like many of you on this forum I always have a sidearm with me as I traverse through the forests and hills of the great Pacific Northwest. Generally I carry either a 45ACP or .357 Magnum. Since there are no Grizzly bears in Oregon I don't need anything bigger.

My 1851 .44 Cal revolver often sits alone and neglected in the safe at home while I am out an about. It's a real shame since I love shooting black powder.

So my question is this:

Who has carried a black powder pistol as their sidearm while traversing through the woods?
I just picked up a Pietta/Remington 1858 , .44 cal copy; properly loaded its equivalent to a .38 Special.
You can also carry extra loaded cylinders in pouches for quick reloads- just don't cap them until needed
it would be quite exciting to have one go off in your pocket!

LongBeard

I have carried various 1851 Navy revolvers , both replica and real ones by Colt as well as the Colt 1860 Army models...again both replica and those by Colt...

They make for fun plinkers ...for sure and would do the job if needed to for almost any threat one can comes across out here.

My one concern when using said cap and ball revolver for protection , is that some folks don't take them seriously , and that can limit the outcome of the situation.

By limit the outcome...in many cases of defensive gun use ...the drawing of the gun , will cause the threat to leave....
But , in my experience , many people's misconceptions about muzzleloaders , can lead them to think that they are not lethal or as "deadly" as a "real gun"....
So the two legged threat may , just think that your cap and ball revolver , ain't much to worry about , and continue to be threat and limit your and his options....
Andy
Black Powder arms killed men for hundreds of years before the invention of the metallic cartridge and
will continue to do so.

L.B.

A few years back Ruger did a Vaquero Version in BP. Fixed Sights with, I think, a 5-1/2" Barrel. A Very handy Barrel for possible Concealed Carry.

Yep, I had a chance but missed it and have been kicking myself ever since I met Andy.

Maybe, I'll have to do some more looking. But, Hey, I'm Selling and not Buying but who knows!:s0087::s0087::s0087:

Andy

Very well said Andy. Back when I was young, I did a ton of shooting with my 44 cal cap and ball. They are lethal, as I took so many jackrabbit with them that I couldn't even begin to count. I had a lot of respect for the cap and ball. So much in fact that I would keep it under the seat (without the caps on of course) of my old '83 Toyota 4x4 when I was traveling back and forth from Oregon to Nevada. My buddy also carried his. I think after the first shot, those that felt the cap and ball was not enough gun, they would re-think the situation a little bit. They are nothing to sneeze at. I'd trust my life with one... and yes, they are fun to shoot...;)

Black Powder arms killed men for hundreds of years before the invention of the metallic cartridge and
will continue to do so.

L.B.
No need to convince me...:)
After all this is my table full of my guns....:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

So being a gun guy and all...
Poking around on the 'net ...has rewarded me with a Armi San Marco copy of a Colt 1860 Army....
The price was too good to pass on ...so if anything needs fixin' , it will still be worthwhile.
That said the revolver looks to be in the high 90's percent wise for finish and the bore is said to be bright and well maintained...as well as locking up tightly and being in time...Again for the price that I am into this revolver...I can fix anything and still come out ahead of the game.

The reason for getting this replica is to save wear and tear on my original Colt 1860 Army ...its been pluggin' along since 1868 and while still workin' good...for regular shootin'...I'm fixin' on using this replica.

A "Slim Jim" holster of some sort will be the next purchase and , yes I will carry this revolver out in the woods , after finding a good working load for it.
Pictures of course to follow , when it arrives...
Andy

A few of thoughts here to remember....

Use #10 caps for your revolvers , the standard rifle #11 cap , will work...but fits loose...and that can make for a jam , when the #11 cap falls off and gets between the cylinder and frame...or just plain fall off and you need to re-cap.
Or...
Buy a set of six #11 nipples...

Yes many revolvers have "safety pins" on the cylinder..so in theory you can load all six chambers and cap all six , then safely carry your revolver...
Notice I said in theory....Experience shows me that the best method is to load all six chambers , but only cap five , leaving the hammer to rest on the un-capped chamber.

All period correct cap and ball revolvers are sighted like the originals...the originals were made to hit around 50-75 yards....so they will shoot high at close range , 25 yards and under...one can either make a taller front sight or learn to hold under at close range.

Power and practice...depending on caliber , powder or powder charge...most round ball loads with black powder will hit about 600-1000 FPS...
While not toys ...these guns are not in the same "class" as modern handgun...However , they will hit hard and they will kill....
But perhaps , even more important for these guns , it really takes practice with the gun and the gun's preferred load to hit well with them....
Take your time with them , learn what works for them and you will do well...otherwise , you will be frustrated.
Andy

A few of thoughts here to remember....

Use #10 caps for your revolvers , the standard rifle #11 cap , will work...but fits loose...and that can make for a jam , when the #11 cap falls off and gets between the cylinder and frame...or just plain fall off and you need to re-cap.
Or...
Buy a set of six #11 nipples...

Yes many revolvers have "safety pins" on the cylinder..so in theory you can load all six chambers and cap all six , then safely carry your revolver...
Notice I said in theory....Experience shows me that the best method is to load all six chambers , but only cap five , leaving the hammer to rest on the un-capped chamber.

All period correct cap and ball revolvers are sighted like the originals...the originals were made to hit around 50-75 yards....so they will shoot high at close range , 25 yards and under...one can either make a taller front sight or learn to hold under at close range.

Power and practice...depending on caliber , powder or powder charge...most round ball loads with black powder will hit about 600-1000 FPS...
While not toys ...these guns are not in the same "class" as modern handgun...However , they will hit hard and they will kill....
But perhaps , even more important for these guns , it really takes practice with the gun and the gun's preferred load to hit well with them....
Take your time with them , learn what works for them and you will do well...otherwise , you will be frustrated.
Andy
Last week I ordered 6 extra nipples & a nipple wrench for my 1858 Remington copy. Actually on the Track of the Wolf web
page for the nipples they recommend removing the nipples and using anti seize compound on the threads which I already
do.

And , I was watching Cap & Ball on youtube (I think) and he was shooting an original piece side by side with a modern copy
and said the theory of the time was that if an enemy soldier was close you aimed at his belt buckle but if he was 100-200
meters away you aimed at his chest. Which actually makes a great deal of sense if you consider the machining/tooling
of the sights of the times & the general education level of the average conscripted soldier.

Blessing,
LongBeard

On the few times that I have shot at a human shaped target with my cap and ball revolvers....
If I aimed at the "belt buckle" area I tend to hit about the center of the chest region ...this is at 10-20 yards...and using black powder with a round ball in a traditional gun with a 19th century style of shooting loading and stance...
Andy

On the few times that I have shot at a human shaped target with my cap and ball revolvers....
If I aimed at the "belt buckle" area I tend to hit about the center of the chest region ...this is at 10-20 yards...and using black powder with a round ball in a traditional gun with a 19th century style of shooting loading and stance...
Andy
I like my "19th Century Stance" on life...
L.B.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads