JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here are some pics of a muzzleloader kit that I purchased from a NWFA member a while back.

Got it completely unfinished, as seen in the pics... bare wood, raw brass, all metal in the white...

Ive never done one of these before, but it wasnt too hard.

Basic Steps:

1. Assemble the gun, grind and sand where needed to get a good wood to metal fit

2. Disassemble and begin finishing the various parts.

3. I started with the stock, I sanded to 220 grit, added a light coat of stain & sanded again with 220. Once dry, I applied several coats of boiled linseed oil, buffing with 0000 steel wool between coats.

4. The Brass took some work, sand with 220 and then to 320 grit. Buff with steel wool... then I used a Dremel with the buffing wheel and some compound.

5. All steel parts were sanded to 320 & I applied Brownells Classic Rust Blue several times to get the right look.

6. Reassemble and enjoy, I replaced the screws with brass screws. I liked the brass on brass of the trigger guard, but the contrast of brass on blue on the other areas. I also left the ramrod holder unfinished. I may blue it later but I like the look of it for now.

For the rust bluing, this was my first finishing attempt using anything other than a rattle can. Well not my first, I practiced on a cheaper kit gun I bought (for sale now on NWFA).
Its a pretty simple process. Basically sand the metal to no more than 320 grit, apply the solution, let it rust, boil it for several minutes, let it cool and then remove ('carding') the black rusty fuzz thats left behind and you can see the metal slowly turn that classic 'gun metal' color. It may take several times before it looks right. Its a slow process, but its a classic, durable finish that can be done without any special tools or equipment.

PICS!

temporary_zpsd9850f7a.jpg
temporary_zpsb8678ff7.jpg
temporary_zps45bcc533.jpg
2_zpse747f777.jpg
1_zpsa3c42560.jpg
15_zpsc1e792f5.jpg
8_zpsbf287fcb.jpg

More pics can be found here...

It was 7 or 8 times I believe.

There's another that I built, that's in the classifieds, it took in 4 applications. Not sure why, did it the same each time. Probably some metallurgical differences in sure.

Can't wait to shoot it

Very nice job.
The best advice on building a gun that I have found , is to go slow and when frustrated go on to something else.
Rust browning and case hardening / colouring are an art to themselves.
Andy

Hahaha I still like it unfinished!

It's been one of my favorite guns. Shooting blanks on 7/1 & 12/31 is a awesome.

It's a great tool for non gun people... They can't resist it, get them to pop off a couple blanks and they're hooked.

Accuracy with a patched ball is pretty good, not a target pistol, but man size targets at 25 feet are easy enough.

Was a good, fun project I did with my son... Though he can barely shoot it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads