JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As far as I know, black powder firearms are the same as regular firearms under WA law. Federal law carves out an exception, but WA law does not.
Some one has been feeding you some mis information. As an example go to this site:www.dixiegunworks.com
Looks at something like this: RH0424 Uberti Remington New Model Army
You can buy one online and they will mail it to you as long as you are not in NJ where they must be registered. Now if you load it and go out to shoot it you are shooting a firearm as far as the law is concerned here. Same rules. This often causes a lot of this kind of mis information to be spread by someone who I'm sure thought they knew what they were talking about when they told you this.
What restrictions apply to shipping muzzleloading firearms?

Muzzleloaders, by virtue of the fact that they do not fire fixed ammunition, are considered antique firearms under The Gun Control Act of 1968 and are not restricted in trade by any federal law or regulation. This applies to both antique and new made muzzleloaders. There may be state or local ordinances which restrict our ability to ship direct to the customer. Residents of HI, NJ, MA and MI are urged to check their state and local laws for any restrictions on ordering black powder firearms. Dixie's black powder cartridge guns can only be shipped to a federally licensed dealer. In order to ship to the dealer, we must have a signed copy of the dealer's Federal Firearms License on file. If you are interested in ordering an FFL gun you should make arrangements with a local dealer to take delivery. This is a common practice and the dealer will usually charge only a nominal fee to complete the transfer.

THIS PRODUCT CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO NEW JERSEY OR CANADA.

I wonder if a Locality has made an ordnance restricting B.P. arms and Powder? I have been looking on line, and cannot find any State level restrictions!

They have not at least yet. The DNR Officer was just putting out some bad info he got who the hell knows where. Sadly LEO's are often VERY lacking in any knowledge of law. I listened to a couple City Cops spend :20 going back and forth on if a woman with a CPL could have her gun in the bank with her. Went from Cop, to his Sargent, who finally had to call a Lieutenant. It sounded like a script from a comedy routine. I long ago was shooing with a guy who had a C&R Broom handle with the stock. Cops came to see what we were doing. One wanted to arrest him for an SBR with no stamp. Took him a while on his radio till he finally came back looking all pissed off and told us we were fine.

Where did you get that information from?
Any replica , reproduction or original* Muzzleloading firearm is not subject to modern FFL , or BGC rules or laws.
* as in pre 1898 guns or replicas , reproductions or antique .
RCW 9.41.010 clearly states this.

In-lines however , are considered to be modern firearms and subject to the same rules etc ...
Andy

Ok, I'll modify my statement. After looking at it again, it does appear that antiques are exempt from background checks. However, the unlawful possession statute, RCW 9.41.040, does not carve out exceptions for antiques. It applies to all firearms that expel a projectile by use of an explosive. This is in contrast to the federal statute, which specifically carves out an exception to the definition of "firearm" for antiques.

The state preempts all firearm laws, meaning localities cannot pass more restrictive ones. RCW 9.41.290.

Well again yes they can when you get into the definitions which is what you're talking about here. The City of Tacoma (for one) long ago changed the definition to make air guns a firearm. Meaning you can't legally shoot them in your house or yard. This is a PRIME example of why I always warn people not to take stuff they read on the net as advice when it comes to law. You can "think" you are OK. If you end up in front of some Judge they will not care that you read it was ok on some web page.

Well again yes they can when you get into the definitions which is what you're talking about here. The City of Tacoma (for one) long ago changed the definition to make air guns a firearm. Meaning you can't legally shoot them in your house or yard. This is a PRIME example of why I always warn people not to take stuff they read on the net as advice when it comes to law. You can "think" you are OK. If you end up in front of some Judge they will not care that you read it was ok on some web page.
But Tacoma did not preempt state law there,technically.
They may have added air guns to their list but they did not preempt state law as the state doesn't call airguns firearms
The things you read online

They're doing pretty good now, with the help of all the anti-gun judges.
Judge upholds Seattle's gun and ammunition tax

With these same judges pulling these type of rulings out of their butt, it won't be long before preemption is just ignored in WA.

Ray
That's not exactly a preemtion as there isn't any law either way like it at state level. Seattle is just being creative with new laws that don't restrict lawful carry

They're doing pretty good now, with the help of all the anti-gun judges.
Judge upholds Seattle's gun and ammunition tax

With these same judges pulling these type of rulings out of their butt, it won't be long before preemption is just ignored in WA.

Ray

Yes sadly that is part of the problem with "gun laws". Gun laws tend to be such a rats nest as it is. Then you add in the way "law written" really mean nothing other than what some black robed god says they mean. When one comes down with some decree from on high then everyone else can spend time and money trying to fight it.
It's what often scares me about "advice" given over places. It used to be bad enough when it was "around the watering hole". Then the net came along and it really got bad. It's still of course the fault of those taking this "advice" but it still scares me. Some of the stuff I have read over the years about ClassIII stuff is a PRIME example of this. I got booted from a group over laughing at a woman who was giving out some really BAD info on this. She claimed her hubby was a Class III dealer. Which he may or may not have been but she did not know her butt from a hole about this.

That's not exactly a preemtion as there isn't any law either way like it at state level. Seattle is just being creative with new laws that don't restrict lawful carry

One of those morons they elect up there was at one time trying to make up a new law that CC holders could not carry in a park. When it was brought up that they could not they basically just said "we can do what we want and you can hire lawyers". Can't remember if he gave up or not. Seattle has long been in a race to the bottom with SanFran.

If I get the name right
The committee for the right to keep and bare arms? Out of Bellevue fights Seattle over these things
Like when they tried to say you couldn't carry on City properly.....you know,from back of sidewalk to back of sidewalk?
That was struck down in court pretty fast.
That's why Seattle did the taxes. That at least works on getting the gun shop's out. I don't like to see it but I'll never go there for anything. I treat Seattle like California,a no fly zone;)

But an air gun is not a "firearm" under state law, so its regulation is not preempted.

If I get the name right
The committee for the right to keep and bare arms? Out of Bellevue fights Seattle over these things
Like when they tried to say you couldn't carry on City properly.....you know,from back of sidewalk to back of sidewalk?
That was struck down in court pretty fast.
That's why Seattle did the taxes. That at least works on getting the gun shop's out. I don't like to see it but I'll never go there for anything. I treat Seattle like California,a no fly zone;)

I think you're thinking of the Second Amendment Foundation.

Actually, on the surface it appears to be a tax, but in reality it's a regulatory fee masquerading as a tax; backdoor gun control, which does fall under preemption.

Do you think these same anti's would feel the same way if some town in WA decided to put a special $100 tax on all abortions, aimed at funding research into the impact of how it affects adoption? After all they would not be "regulating" abortions, but simply taxing them and women could still have abortions.

Ray

Actually, on the surface it appears to be a tax, but in reality it's a regulatory fee masquerading as a tax; backdoor gun control, which does fall under preemption.

Do you think these same anti's would feel the same way if some town in WA decided to put a special $100 tax on all abortions, aimed at funding research into the impact of how it affects adoption? After all they would not be "regulating" abortions, but simply taxing them and women could still have abortions.

Ray
Sorry I must disagree. The laws are only about where you can and can't carry and who can sell them etc.
I'm not saying it isn't a quasi gun control attempt,but it doesn't fall under the preemptive laws

careful now...this new assault rifle ban bill they are trying to push though would define a musket as an assault rifle... it has a barrel shroud!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top