JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently I was out at an outdoor shooting spot and I encountered a DNR officer and struck up a conversation with him. It got to the subject of black powder firearms and he said that he believed there was a new law requiring a license to purchase real black powder. Is there any truth to this?

Also, I heard about a law lumping in black powder guns with modern firearms in terms of purchasing. What is that all about? Is it an old law no longer in effect?

No new laws for powder or guns that I'm aware of. I can still order powder and muzzleloaders through the mail to Oregon or buy over the counter with out any licenses, fingerprints, background checks, DNA tests or other crap.

Not sure if Washington has created some new impediment for you. I'm sure one of the northern boys will chime in when they wake up.

No new laws for blackpowder or blackpowder firearms be they original , replica or in-line , here in Washington
If its a replica , reproduction or pre 1898 original they are not considered a modern firearm or under the need for a FFL or BGC etc ...
Modern in- lines are subject to the same rules and laws for a any other modern firearm.
To buy blackpowder there is no paperwork to fill out if you are buying in store ... and yes it is easy to mail order it as well.

There may some changes in areas for muzzleloading hunting in the works ... But this is true for every year.
Andy

I'm not sure about Wa but I bought a new muzzle loader without paper work.
There may have been something on the east coast or cally that was changed. They've wanted to take muzzleloader s from them since the '60 :rolleyes: I believe.

Where did you get that information from?
Any replica , reproduction or original* Muzzleloading firearm is not subject to modern FFL , or BGC rules or laws.
* as in pre 1898 guns or replicas , reproductions or antique .
RCW 9.41.010 clearly states this.

In-lines however , are considered to be modern firearms and subject to the same rules etc ...
Andy

Last Edited:
Maybe he was thinking of California? Under CA state law, it is a felony to possess/own more than 1lb of black powder. I think that only applies to true black powder, not Pyrodex, etc. I am not aware of any similar restriction in OR or WA.

Down Here in Co. there are Zero restrictions on B.P. arms and accessories no matter the date of manufacture! I can walk in a buy one built yesterday, and black powder is not regulated in 1 to 8 pounds! We can also buy the 3 ingredients with out a blink of an eye! As far as I know, Oregon is the same, but didn't know Wa had determined that modern in lines were classified differently!

If you have 25 LBS ( of Black Powder ) or more it needs to be in an approved safe , here in Washington.
Even I with all my muzzleloaders would have a heck of a time using all of that powder.
But a guy can dream can't he?:D
Andy

Come one, Come all! Me Casa,Su Casa:)
The bed rooms are down the hall, the bathroom is on the right, and there is always plenty of food in the fridge, so help your selves! Breakfast is at 6 and you better get there quick!

Where did you get that information from?
Any replica , reproduction or original* Muzzleloading firearm is not subject to modern FFL , or BGC rules or laws.
* as in pre 1898 guns or replicas , reproductions or antique .
RCW 9.41.010 clearly states this.

In-lines however , are considered to be modern firearms and subject to the same rules etc ...
Andy

I "think" I may know where this comes from. WA law does not define firearm the same as the Feds. This it true in many states. That does NOT mean you can't go buy one without the BGC. You can still mail order one here. It is considered a "firearm" though in that if you are walking around with it you have a "gun". The city of Tacoma even did this with air guns. They are now a firearm as in you can't shoot one in your yard.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top