JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love my XD.... but there is 1 problem.....:(

I don't like that the mags are shiney stainless steel.....

Could a person sand them and paint them with a flat black high temp paint? or would it get eaten by the oils/heat/movement? would they still fit correctly? (Yes I know how to do a quality job and not cake it on)

I know I could durabake them... or duracoat..... but that's more $$$ than I really want to spend.

Thanx for your help & suggestions:s0155:

I'm not thrilled about the shiny finish on my XD mags either. I'm interested in ideas, and like you, on the cheap would be best.

Sand and cold blue maybe?

What's wrong with shiny? :< I like shiny...

Duracoat isn't all that expensive. 4oz is plenty for a few mags I expect.
Lauer DuraCoat Firearm Finish Ultra Flat Tactical Black 4 oz - MidwayUSA
And here's a cheap air brush: 20 Oz. High Volume Low Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun
air compressor: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html This is the most expensive thing but you can probably rent or borrow one. Alternatively you can get a cheaper tankless one but that won't have a very steady stream of air.

Unless you are using a suppressor and wearing full camo, I wouldn't worry too much about shiny mags but if you really want to, a thin coat of flat black does work. Just be sure to put some news paper or some kind of stuffing inside the disassembled magazine so you don't get any paint on the inside surfaces.

regardless of tactical whatever... I just like my mags black...

I have a cheepo compressor that will prolly work for DC, but I don't really want to have them dissasembled for 2 weeks. plus if you add shipping and cleanup chemicals it's about $100 to do the job... will prolly have lots of leftovers, but that's a lil steep for me.

Buddy of mine DuraCoated an XD mag flat black and it turned out great. Fit is 100&#37; Just sand the metal and spray away. Super f-ing easy. Harbor Freight has an airbrush for like $6 that works great! Add $20 for a bottle of DC and your at $26 plus your time... :)

What's wrong with shiny? :< I like shiny...

Duracoat isn't all that expensive. 4oz is plenty for a few mags I expect.
Lauer DuraCoat Firearm Finish Ultra Flat Tactical Black 4 oz - MidwayUSA
And here's a cheap air brush: 20 Oz. High Volume Low Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun
air compressor: 1/3 HP, 3 Gallon, 100 PSI Oilless Air Compressor This is the most expensive thing but you can probably rent or borrow one. Alternatively you can get a cheaper tankless one but that won't have a very steady stream of air.

I agree I don't see any problem with shiny, if you are re-loading it means you just unloaded at the BG, chances are he's already seen you.

I wouldn't use that gun, it's a HOSE MONSTER with the 1.5 fluid tip. I have a small touch up gun (side feed cup) that I got from Harbor Freight that would be perfect + they have them on sale from time to time for $6. This is the one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html . I got mine for $6 but that was about 5 years ago. I use mine almost daily to do touch ups on $1.5 - $2 million dollar motorhomes, and it's still going strong.

I will, I already have a mag sanded and I have the Durabake stuff, just need to get to it. I best wait till at least Monday when the wife is at work and won't be around to smell it. LOL

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out. :s0155:

...and as far as this being tacticool - aaah no. Wrong. :s0114: I'm just not a big fan of shiny bling. Stuffing a gleaming mag into the well of a black gun just looks funny to me. My gun, my time. As I've never done any Durucoat applications, I might learn something on the cheap too, and barely matters if I manage to screw it up.

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out. :s0155:

...and as far as this being tacticool - aaah no. Wrong. :s0114: I'm just not a big fan of shiny bling. Stuffing a gleaming mag into the well of a black gun just looks funny to me. My gun, my time. As I've never done any Durucoat applications, I might learn something on the cheap too, and barely matters if I manage to screw it up.

Amen.

If I get duracoating equipment I want purple magazines. With sparkles.

DON'T JUDGE ME!:D

Hey, at the very least, that way you will never get your mags mixed up with someone else's at a class/competition!:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top