JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The knife arrived this morning and while I'm generally pleased, there's some kind of mark on the blade.

I tried lacquer thinner, Hoppe's #9 and Kroil and it won't go away. I can probably polish it out, but I don't know if it's worth the effort, if I should shine it on or return it..

As an aside, it's a really good feeling knife.

The dreaded mark:

20190406_120837.jpg 20190406_115629.jpg

Maybe the etching (engraving) machine had a little malfunction. If it's to be used, I wouldn't worry. If it's to be a display piece, return it.:cool:

I don't know much about their newer blades, but mine has etching on both sides of the blade.

122340-25d12bce082390a76606f1ac08f911f3.jpg 122341-3756a326d7eb081f281dc5f9b6587e8e.jpg

Last Edited:
These knives have a high carbon content and will stain easily...as a rule it won't effect how well they still cut , chop , slash , stab , etc...:D
Nice looking knife GOG...:D
One day yours will catch up with mine with wear and tear...
Andy
DSC03378.jpg

Well good.
I'll just keep it then. It's not worth the hassle to return it and I bought it to use it. I don't buy much stuff just to look at, so no harm no foul.
Thanks for the input gentleman.

@AndyinEverson, you've got the leather handle which I would have preferred, but I also know your knife has a provenance mine will never have. ;)

Mine has indeed seem some use , first on deployment...And now does duty as a camp , hunting and kitchen knife...the patina comes and goes as it gets washed , re-sharpened , then used again...all to re-patina the blade and handle...
Andy

It occurred to me that the mark looked like the bluing on the logo, so I used some B/C bluing & rust remover and that minimized it quite a bit. There's now an oval shiny area there as well that may even out eventually or not. But at any rate, I'm done messing with it, it's a user not a looker.

Of course if one wants patina more quicklyer...
You can :
Give the blade a light coating of perma blue...
Cut some onions or tomatoes...
Mustard as mentioned above...
A vinegar rub / wipe...
Lightly and quickly rub the blade with bleach...

With any of the above a little goes a long way...ironically one must work slowly to get patina quickly...using these methods...:D
Andy

100_3039.JPG
Not as classy as Andy's but it earned it's keep (and still does) as well as it's patina... I carried it in my flight suit ankle pocket on every USCG SAR flight for several years. Then in my fanny pack or daypack for elk, and my survival bag for winter tower jaunts. It's still my favorite skinning knife due to shape of pointy end and ease of touching it up to resharpen. I don't use the stone, I have a couple of steels, one that I carried on my belt and a flat one that goes in the pack.

100_3040.JPG
Two that went with me on elk hunts.

100_3042.JPG
This Old Timer is what I carried on my belt for elk hunting. It's great for working up inside and cutting diaphragm, careful work around the bladder/bunghole, etc. I also carried the axe below for splitting the pelvis and for wood gathering (while out hunting, at my stand, or in emergency... sometimes ya gotta stay out all night), it's flat enough to fit right against my hip. Along with a fillet knife to reach up and cut around the windpipe, these were everything I needed to field gut an elk.

100_3043.JPG
Stainless steel throwing axe, very sharp!! Can be used like an Ulu to skin but it's really a bit unwieldy and I prefer my survival knife for that task. Stainless is too hard to resharpen, and I find I need to resharpen a skinning knife about every five minutes at most.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top