JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FBI did record number of gun checks Friday —154,873 — up from last year's record of 129,166

WASHINGTON — For the second consecutive year, prospective gun buyers joined Black Friday shoppers in record numbers as firearms dealers swamped the FBI with required buyer background check requests.

The FBI fielded 154,873 calls, a roughly 20% increase from last year's previous one-day record of 129,166, according to bureau records.

The requests came in such volume throughout the day that FBI call centers experienced two brief outages — one of 18 minutes and one for 14 minutes —during the busy day, bureau spokesman Stephen Fischer said Monday.

The FBI does not track actual gun sales. But the number of firearms sold Friday is likely higher because multiple firearms can be included in one transaction by a single buyer.

Dealers attributed the continuing gun surge to a variety of factors, including an increase in women buyers and concerns that lawmakers in President Obama's second term could impose stricter gun laws. Among them: a possible attempt to renew a ban on assault weapons. Even so, neither Obama nor Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney offered such proposals during the just-completed campaign.

"With the recent election, some people are making buying decisions just in case something (new law) happens,'' said Don Gallardo, manager of Shooter's World in Phoenix. Gallardo said his store recorded a 10% increase in Black Friday sales. Gallardo said buyers cited similar reasons right after Obama won his first term in 2008.

Black Friday's gun-buyer checks set a record

i may or may not have purchased a firearm or three on Friday, despite my best efforts to not succumb to the whole 'black friday' thing.

when i may or may not have made this purchase, the ffl background check happened so fast i wasn't even sure it happened. in and out of the store in literally under 10 minutes with three more things to bring home.

i may have failed at skipping black friday... but i'm doing my part to practice the 2nd amendment. :D

I hit Bimart at 7:00 am to stock up on Powder ($3 off all in stock). The only line I saw there was the 12 people hanging out at the Sporting goods counter waiting for Oregon to background them for their $169.97 10/22 rifles. Most had gotten there between 5:00 and 6:00.

Seams strange that when I buy a rifle in Washington I don't have to pay $10 and it takes 5 minutes. In Oregon the average (Non black Friday) time is 20 to 50 minutes (once 1.5 hours).

I was one of those statistics on Friday! I got a great deal on a XDm pistol. A reopened range was offering XDm pistols at $25 over dealer cost. They had a large line of people at opening, and I subsequently saw two staff (and possibly three) simultaneously running background checks.

Peter

When I was in Bimart on Friday, there was a line of people that had been waiting for hours for approvals. Needless to say, the discount was not worth the wait.

If you were there prior to 8AM when OSP opens that would explain why they were standing around. No way to do a background check until the gals get in the office to do them.

If you were there prior to 8AM when OSP opens that would explain why they were standing around. No way to do a background check until the gals get in the office to do them.

Really? My son and I were at our local BiMart before 8:00 so he could buy his own 10/22. BGC was done online before 8 and the wait time was less than 5 minutes. No line at all.

Can you imagine if they tried to take our guns away? The only way "they" would win is to just bomb the heck out of us and kill a bunch of people. No one in their right mind would give up their guns and they know it. I can't confirm nor deny the purchase of a milled receiver Ak and 3K rnds of ammo... teheheheh. Because it's been raining so much lately, I decided to ride my boat and on my way home I was involved in an accident and I may or may not have lost the Ak and the ammo..... :( meh!

I can say I was a statistic on friday. I just happened to walk into my local firearms dealer to whine and spread some manure around as per my usual and then it happend I glanced in the glass case and that's when I seen her she was beautiful a little S&W wheel gun I just could'nt live without . . . and kids that's the story of how we met.

I depends which Bimart you go to... I was the Oregon City Bimart and was quoted 3-4 hours. I left, because like you I didn't think the wait was worth the discount. I immediately drove to the Bimart in Tigard, and was quoted 20-45 minutes. That seemed worth it, so I bought the Savage 17HMR for $179. My actual wait time was about 2 minutes. It was instantaneous. This was at 10am on Black Friday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top