Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Black Folk Don't Join the NRA?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by rufus, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;LcNbheN5a-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcNbheN5a-c[/video]

What?? :huh:

2. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I find it interesting how each one of them doesn't know their history around the NRA and blacks. They don't understand (probably never heard) that the NRA was actually instrumental in making sure blacks had gun rights and that it was the Democratic party which was really the party which oppressed them for the longest time. It is sad to see how history is ignored or not taught.

3. MTpockets

MTpockets Oregon Well-Known Member

Was that when the Democrat Party had a more conservative agenda and the Republican Party a more liberal one? Just asking because my memory is getting bad.

Strange video though.

4. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

I think it's less of that and more that the Republican party at the time was much more centrist. Recall, it was Nixon who create the EPA, OSHA, championed affirmative action and:

"Social Security benefits, a cornerstone of the Democratic Party platform, were also crucial to Nixon’s policies. He ushered in a minimum tax on the wealthy and supported a guaranteed income for all Americans, a move that would rile today’s Republicans to unprecedented heights.

And finally, consider health care: Nixon’s proposed reform would have required employers to buy health insurance for their employees and subsidize those who couldn’t afford it. Nixon’s version of national health care was a far more liberal concept than Bill Clinton’s or Barack Obama’s—and it failed because of Democratic opposition, not lack of support from Nixon’s own party."

MTpockets and (deleted member) like this.
  5. 2506

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

If anything, black Americans should embrace the 2A. Keeps them safe in their homes. Perhaps the counter message isn't getting out?

7. 2506

Just because they aren't joining the NRA does not mean they don't embrace their rights.

8. MTpockets

MTpockets Oregon Well-Known Member

Thank You. It will give me a topic to read on.

9. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

10. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I don't understand why things that aren't about race need to be painted out to be about race.

I had never considered whether black folks should/would/could join the NRA or not.

I wouldn't have batted an eye at going to an NRA convention and seeing black/indian/asian/hispanic/white people all in the same room...

It sickens me to see someone (I have no idea who, but someone with an agenda that doesn't help the black community) using people like that.

11. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

[video=youtube_share;xvAXBEDz2yo]http://youtu.be/xvAXBEDz2yo[/video]

12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

^^ One of the best pro-gun 2A guys out there. Smart and articulate. Subscribed a while back.

Colion Noir - YouTube

The guy loves to shoot and injects a lot of good humor in his shooting videos (specifically).

[video=youtube;p-Z0wAGeOFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Z0wAGeOFs[/video]

simon99, rufus, gcban and 7 others like this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Greater PDX Active Member

Colion Noir's page is on my list of "visit every day" sites.

Easily one of the most level headed and funny pro gun guys out there. Probably identify with him more then most others.

My only beef is he seems to have no real sports loyalties. Different team hat every video. But all kidding aside, we absolutely need more people like him who the youth of the nation can actually identify with somewhat and might spur them to logical evaluation of their preconceived notions as dictated by popular media.

14. gcban

gcban Tukwila, WA Active Member

I normally never respond to stuff like this but feel this time I need to.

Well as a “Black Folk” thanks for the good laugh! I have been a hunter, a prior law enforcement officer and an NRA member off and on since the 70’s. What I see and have seen is the same race baiting stereotypic narrative that Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and alot of the other so called “Black” community leaders spew out that drives the “NRA and all guns are bad” narrative to the Black community.

When I entered the academy in the late 1970’s I was the only black cadet in a class of 67 cadets in a large metropolitan city. That was the norm not the exception. Was it because of discrimination? No. It was because law enforcement was not a job that “Black Folk” traditionally strived for. Even my parents hated the fact that I took that career because they (very traditional Black beliefs) did not trust police and hated firearms. After listening to them talk about their experiences growing up I may have felt the same way, but I didn’t. I decided that I would base my notions about the way things were on my own experiences, not my parents. My Godfather was a police officer (Black Folk also) and as a kid he opened my eyes to the world to fishing, hunting and law enforcement.

Where I’m going with this is that this is a deep seeded generational thing among “Black Folk” especially in large black populated metropolitan areas of major cities. Like the Hatfield and McCoy battle, the narrative about what they don’t like on many social subjects is usually nothing more than the verbal regurgitation of the narrative that has been passed down from generation to generation and usually does not come from their own personal experiences. As the one guy in that video said “I have never shot a gun, I was always afraid I would hurt someone” I would bet that most the people in that video fall into the same category as would many non-Black Folk would the same. With a lack of an actual experience and an ignorance of the subject matter, uninformed minds are easily swayed, regardless of race. Black folk out, be safe!

rufus, sixfoot674, simon99 and 23 others like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Exactly! I've found, as you said, many of the anti gun crowd are afraid of firearms. As a result, they live without them and accept the demonization presented by the media and their non-gun friends. The truth about guns and gun ownership needs to get out much more than it does currently.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  16. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

What I came away with from that vid was that "Black Folk", (what an annoying term BTW) are open to guns but think the NRA is racist or an all white club or something. Some in the vid were of course anti-gun libs who use the race card to make just about any point about anything.

17. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to the day when we stop dividing ourselves up into sub-groups. I am white, but I don't think of myself as part of a "white community". I am not an NRA member for my own personal reasons, but I am very pro 2A. I served in my beloved Corps, but respect all who served in any branch of the military. I respect those who did not serve as well. I hate the race baiters both black and white who feel they must divide us and I do not like people because they are the same color as me or dislike them because they are not. I will not cut you an inch of slack because you're black or because you're white. I wish we could get over the race crap.

Sorry, I get frustrated sometimes. Off of soapbox now.

18. Dunerunner

No need to be sorry! Great post! :thumbup:

gcban and (deleted member) like this.
  19. gcban

gcban Tukwila, WA Active Member

Agreed Semperfi68to70, agreed. There will always be those people who feel we must divide and sub-group. Like you I am merely a proud American citizen and support this great nation and our Constituion. Even though both my parents were very jaded in their thinking of race relations, they did not raise me to be that way in fact just the opposite, and for that I'm greatful. I treat people the way I would expect them to treat me. (I did write my own father a parking ticket once for parking in a fire lane and he never gave me grief over it). Also thanks for your service to our country. Be safe!

20. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

There is one grave error in your otherwise excellent post.

"the day when we stop dividing ourselves up into sub-groups"

Replace that sentence with "the day when we all realize that our masters keep us ALL down by poisoning our culture(s) and keeping us divided into sub-groups"

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

The powers that be know this rule/law/truism very well, and make sure that every time we (The every-colored people) start to amass our collective power against them they bring out abortion, gay marriage, racism, religion, violence, healthcare, <Insert anything that will make the people fight each other instead of rise up> so we keep our attention focused elsewhere and continue to turn the screws against us.

Divide your enemy's house against itself and it will not stand. <- Is their credo, and it works so effectively that those of us that don't fall for this tactic are swept aside by the tsunami of masses that do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.