JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which knife to get?

• Becker BK9

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Kabar ZF Chopper

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Kabar ZF War Sword

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
I'd like to get some opinions on the three knives; The Becker BK9, Kabar ZF War Sword and Kabar ZF Chopper. I'm not into the whole Zombie thing, but the price for performance ratio seems to be high on these ZF series. I like they come with black grips to replace the neon green ones. I don't like that the knife is made overseas, but given it's price point, it's hard to ignore for that reason.

I have been unemployed for 2 years now, so cash is tight. I have been doing a lot of backwoods hiking in my free time, and have come to the conclusion I need a big chopping knife for preparing firewood. I've been carrying a hatchet, but it's heavy and it seems to strike wood about 50% of my swings. (That's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean!)

I carry a Chris Reeve Shadow IV that I've had for several years. This will not change, it will handle everything but cutting wood, digging fire pits and basically being abused!

I had been wanting an Esee Junglas, but I can't justify spending over $150 at this point. Maybe someday if my employment status changes.

I've read all the reviews and seen all the videos on the BK9. I know what it's capable of. I know it's a quality knife. Not just for it's price, but overall, it's a great blade and should serve me well for the rest of my life. I like that.

I've seen a few reviews on the ZF War Sword. It seems to be a decent chopper as well. Not as good as the BK9, but it's also about 40% less than the BK9.

I have yet to see anyone actually chopping wood with the ZF Chopper. I'd like to get some more input on this blade.

So, given the three, my intended use and my situation, which do you think I should choose? I know it's easy to just say BK9 and forget about it. But these other 2 knives are throwing a serious monkeywrench in my decision making process. The $30-$40 saved is a half tank of gas in my truck or food for my dog. I can always upgrade to the BK9 or Junglas later and probably would, which would make the ZF knife good for throwing in the SHTF toolbox in the truck.

The BK9 was my first Becker. It replaced a small hatchet that I used to carry in my pack. At my age, a lighter pack is most welcome and I found the BK9 to be more versatile than the hatchet I used to carry at a fraction of the weight. I have a larger axe I keep in the rig but for hiking and overniters, the BK9 is perfect for shelters, clearing, fire and other small camp chores. I am not familiar with your other choices but for 80 bucks, I think the BK9 is pretty much the best value in a chopping/cutting tool that I have found. In fact, I don't think you can beat any of the Beckers for the money...I've since added a BK2 and BK13. I'll probably buy a few more too before it's all said and done...

Get the Becker. Nothing really against the quality of the others but the BK9 will be a better design for the general big knife role. I have a BK9 and love it! I have handled the other two and to me they just don't fit me as well as the Becker.

You buy yet? I bought the BK9 after much deliberation. The RTAK II was one of the options I was looking at due to handles and extra inch (yeah, yeah, that's what she said...). The price difference was the main factor. I could not be happier with my decision. It baton's like a champ, I have chopped down 4"-5" trees, etc. When paired with a bow saw of some kind you will not need to bring anything else for wood processing/collection. I also carry a Spyderco folder for smaller jobs. The BK9 holds an edge better than I ever thought as well. After hours of use it still shaves the hairs right off my arm.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews