JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
(WARNING, a long read)
More than a year into looking for an elusive Remington 700 in 6.5 X 55 for this up and coming hunting season, I started switching gears to expedite my plan. Maybe later on the Remington I thought since the prime directive was the caliber. Lugging around my iron sighted Carl Gustafs swede( a fine thing I might add) was not of interest. I decided to move towards rebarreling a look alike. In planning such a thing most barrel makers were many months out, passing fall hunting season by a decade when considering my age. To exacerbate my plan, this particular rifle is not just a screw on but requires head space machining putting a crimp on my do it yourself assemblage. Enter, Pac-Nor barrels (6-8 weeks) and /or possibly @Velzey, but for one complication; (beyond the minor fact I haven't yet bought a long action 700) a brand new granddaughter in Ohio we've got to see. Since we won't fly, that will be a month minimum road trip (because we don't like to be rushed) there and back taking a large chunk out of this upcoming, already full summer. Wanting to have some considerable field time with my yet unseen rifle to enable motor skills, familiarity and the like, I decided I was running out of time. I got off that train and decided to buy new.

Turns out, not the simplified plan I had imagined.

For a variety of reasons, some of which was to stay under two grand for the entire package, I decided to go with the new wood stocked Tikka T3X. Another was having some familiarity with the older T3. I found the performance impressive along with the glass crisp adjustable trigger albeit no 700 in my mind. The aesthetics of its exterior finish on the blued barrel apparently sanded to 120 grit, and possibly touted as an antiglare satin finish, more likely were driven by the reduction of manufacturing cost. Nonetheless, it is still the same hammer forged barrel used on mother Sako. Even with sand bags, I personally, cannot shoot it to its potential without further aid making it more a shooter than I am. I'm getting ahead of myself.

Days after picking it up @ Fishermans Marine and.., I gave it the tidy up and lightened trigger adjust I feel comfortable with. Upon replacing the plastic trigger guard I sought the advice of the manual which encouraged me to snug the receiver screws to 62 inch pounds. I could not move past 20 in.lb. when the rear receiver screw entered the bolt channel, effectively blocking its access.

I discovered the plastic Trigger guard had a thin washer imbedded the molding for the screw to contact and I assume bear upon. The washer hole is less than 5/16 but the plastic hole is 3/8 + so when tightening the screws, the beveled underside of the screw head would deform the washer into a cone shape. The more I tightened it the more it would deform, allowing the screw to seat farther than intended and into the bolt channel. Plus, bend the whole guard assembly which dishes end to end.

Called Fishermans; this was no problem for them as they do not do warranty repairs, so effectively shut the door on me by offering advice to take it to Allison & Carey Gunworks Inc.

Knowing Allisons has no dog in this fight authorized repair shop or not, Likely in no hurry on warranty repairs, I'm looking at dollars and time out the window if for no other reason than travel time and gas.

I don't want to screw with that for minor stuff that was half expected anyway. (considering what I paid for it.) But more to the point, I do not want to spent the time it will take.

I can easily fix this.

So chucked up a punch in the drill press and flattened the distorted washer imbedded in the plastic molding. Made hardwood dowels to fit the I.D. of the washer, and after waxing them with paraffin, I plugged both ends of the plastic guard receiver holes. Mixed metal filled epoxy (JB Weld) and packed it around the dowels on the bottom side leveling it somewhat. The next evening I punched the dowels out and ran a file over the surfaces to clean up and now had a solid bearing surface between screw head and the stock. It worked as expected and was able to tighten them to 40 in. lb.. (More than enough considering the steel plate that dadoes into the receiver assembly,) with room to spare and giving me peace.
IMGP0332.JPG
In the process of putting on and removing the trigger guard many times some of the finish inside the Tork head abraded so was no longer to my visual liking for a brand new thing. Still fresh with the "On your own Buddy" from Fishermans, I call Beretta childishly believing they would send me a couple receiver screws since it is their fault on the poorly designed trigger guard part, and the deceptive, inaccurate torque specs.. Three tries, three days later, I'm informed not to use the book torque spec's as they are wrong (Gee, ya think?) and to maybe try 30 or 32in. lb.. Then, informed to pursue Brownells as the authorized parts dealer. Receiving a gimme a drink response from Brownells of $44.00, (ironically calling it a two piece receiver screw kit) I decided a little black felt pen wash will work. Thank you Beretta for having my back. Having said that, I'd buy Tikka again but bear in mind I either play the time and warranty game or I am on my own with any issues.

I then mounted a Leopold VX3i 4.5 X 14 Boon and Crocket I ordered along with the rifle, using Leupold bases and aided my now antique Leopold optical collimator I assembled my new hunter with renewed vigor and took to the hills.

Using three shot sight in groups I was not disappointed in my myself and Tikka's groupings although low and right, @ 100 yards, it was within one inch.
IMGP0317.JPG
However, the first shot of the next group produced this:
L1080005.JPG

Didn't expect that!

For all intents and purposes it appeared to be a chip in the lens but more likely some missed debris flipped up and stuck to the lens on the fourth round.

About now I'm reminded of a song; if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Out of five new Leupold's and a few used over a 40 year period this is the first one I've had with a flaw.

Time, gas, half wasted trip to the mountains, and some ammo notwithstanding, Leopold's return was uneventful and without hassle.

Much appreciated Leupold, I know stuff happens, it's all about how one owns up to it!.

The saga of the rifle has ended, but not the story of bad luck day, for the very same day I walked out of Fisherman's Marine with my flawed rifle and scope I walked passed a box containing a motorized clay pigeon thrower. Originally priced @ $279.00, it was marked down several times ending @ $49.95. I placed my rifle, scope and rings in the van with my wife, returned to the gun counter telling them I noticed the 49 bucks on an originally priced 279 dollar item and said it begs the question; "what is wrong with it". "Absolutely nothing" was the reply; in fact it has never been opened. It has just been here so long we needed to get rid of it. If you buy it now, I sell it for $29.99! Totally disregarding the admonition "you get what you pay for", and visualizing not having to bend my sore back over to charge my old thrower several hundred times an outing, I bought it.

Sure enough, it had never been opened, though offering little consolation for the fact that it had apparently been dropped hard enough to bend ¼ inch steel top plate welded to the gear assembly the swing arm attaches to. The entire assemble (being welded) could not be disassembled for repair. MR. Luck might as well rub salt in the wounds by emphasizing the "No Return on Sale Items"' policy.

With nothing to lose, I jigged up the necessary support and beat the crap out of the plate with a 5# hand jack until it returned nearly flat. Luckily there were no bearings; instead they used a substantial steel lubed bushing making for a less delicate assembly. This ultimately resolved the issue but not before the Bad luck trilogy took one last swing; it was wired backwards! The red was negative and the black positive. I could not believe my eyes. Surely even Asian countries declare Red as positive. Yep, the crude manual affirmed it as positive. It was definitely wired backwards. A little more fiddling and it throws them just fine. Now!

20 more factory loaded rounds to shoot and I will have 120 nice brass cases which I can hand load for what will be my ultimate pet rounds, then get on to "breaking in" enjoyment before the 32 minutes of 2017 deer season begins.
I'll be ready.

Ultimately, I'm of a mind I came out ahead all three times.

Including the unexpected thrower purchase, I'm still way under budget. That's lots of lead and powder in my mind.

All in all, I now have a very nice svelte, light weight, rifle/ scope / caliber combination (for me) and am finally not just comfortable, but thrilled with my finished product.
IMGP0314.JPG

As an aside, I'm noticing what looked like burned edges to the 6.5x55 created holes, or could it be copper oxides rubbed off from the FMJ 139gr projectile?
IMGP0323.JPG
Not a clue. Any opine on that? I did help me to see the tiny holes @ 100 yards with optics.

(WARNING, a long read)
More than a year into looking for an elusive Remington 700 in 6.5 X 55 for this up and coming hunting season, I started switching gears to expedite my plan. Maybe later on the Remington I thought since the prime directive was the caliber. Lugging around my iron sighted Carl Gustafs swede( a fine thing I might add) was not of interest. I decided to move towards rebarreling a look alike. In planning such a thing most barrel makers were many months out, passing fall hunting season by a decade when considering my age. To exacerbate my plan, this particular rifle is not just a screw on but requires head space machining putting a crimp on my do it yourself assemblage. Enter, Pac-Nor barrels (6-8 weeks) and /or possibly @Velzey, but for one complication; (beyond the minor fact I haven't yet bought a long action 700) a brand new granddaughter in Ohio we've got to see. Since we won't fly, that will be a month minimum road trip (because we don't like to be rushed) there and back taking a large chunk out of this upcoming, already full summer. Wanting to have some considerable field time with my yet unseen rifle to enable motor skills, familiarity and the like, I decided I was running out of time. I got off that train and decided to buy new.

Turns out, not the simplified plan I had imagined.

For a variety of reasons, some of which was to stay under two grand for the entire package, I decided to go with the new wood stocked Tikka T3X. Another was having some familiarity with the older T3. I found the performance impressive along with the glass crisp adjustable trigger albeit no 700 in my mind. The aesthetics of its exterior finish on the blued barrel apparently sanded to 120 grit, and possibly touted as an antiglare satin finish, more likely were driven by the reduction of manufacturing cost. Nonetheless, it is still the same hammer forged barrel used on mother Sako. Even with sand bags, I personally, cannot shoot it to its potential without further aid making it more a shooter than I am. I'm getting ahead of myself.

Days after picking it up @ Fishermans Marine and.., I gave it the tidy up and lightened trigger adjust I feel comfortable with. Upon replacing the plastic trigger guard I sought the advice of the manual which encouraged me to snug the receiver screws to 62 inch pounds. I could not move past 20 in.lb. when the rear receiver screw entered the bolt channel, effectively blocking its access.

I discovered the plastic Trigger guard had a thin washer imbedded the molding for the screw to contact and I assume bear upon. The washer hole is less than 5/16 but the plastic hole is 3/8 + so when tightening the screws, the beveled underside of the screw head would deform the washer into a cone shape. The more I tightened it the more it would deform, allowing the screw to seat farther than intended and into the bolt channel. Plus, bend the whole guard assembly which dishes end to end.

Called Fishermans; this was no problem for them as they do not do warranty repairs, so effectively shut the door on me by offering advice to take it to Allison & Carey Gunworks Inc.

Knowing Allisons has no dog in this fight authorized repair shop or not, Likely in no hurry on warranty repairs, I'm looking at dollars and time out the window if for no other reason than travel time and gas.

I don't want to screw with that for minor stuff that was half expected anyway. (considering what I paid for it.) But more to the point, I do not want to spent the time it will take.

I can easily fix this.

So chucked up a punch in the drill press and flattened the distorted washer imbedded in the plastic molding. Made hardwood dowels to fit the I.D. of the washer, and after waxing them with paraffin, I plugged both ends of the plastic guard receiver holes. Mixed metal filled epoxy (JB Weld) and packed it around the dowels on the bottom side leveling it somewhat. The next evening I punched the dowels out and ran a file over the surfaces to clean up and now had a solid bearing surface between screw head and the stock. It worked as expected and was able to tighten them to 40 in. lb.. (More than enough considering the steel plate that dadoes into the receiver assembly,) with room to spare and giving me peace.
View attachment 365778
In the process of putting on and removing the trigger guard many times some of the finish inside the Tork head abraded so was no longer to my visual liking for a brand new thing. Still fresh with the "On your own Buddy" from Fishermans, I call Beretta childishly believing they would send me a couple receiver screws since it is their fault on the poorly designed trigger guard part, and the deceptive, inaccurate torque specs.. Three tries, three days later, I'm informed not to use the book torque spec's as they are wrong (Gee, ya think?) and to maybe try 30 or 32in. lb.. Then, informed to pursue Brownells as the authorized parts dealer. Receiving a gimme a drink response from Brownells of $44.00, (ironically calling it a two piece receiver screw kit) I decided a little black felt pen wash will work. Thank you Beretta for having my back. Having said that, I'd buy Tikka again but bear in mind I either play the time and warranty game or I am on my own with any issues.

I then mounted a Leopold VX3i 4.5 X 14 Boon and Crocket I ordered along with the rifle, using Leupold bases and aided my now antique Leopold optical collimator I assembled my new hunter with renewed vigor and took to the hills.

Using three shot sight in groups I was not disappointed in my myself and Tikka's groupings although low and right, @ 100 yards, it was within one inch.
View attachment 365776
However, the first shot of the next group produced this:
View attachment 365779

Didn't expect that!

For all intents and purposes it appeared to be a chip in the lens but more likely some missed debris flipped up and stuck to the lens on the fourth round.

About now I'm reminded of a song; if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Out of five new Leupold's and a few used over a 40 year period this is the first one I've had with a flaw.

Time, gas, half wasted trip to the mountains, and some ammo notwithstanding, Leopold's return was uneventful and without hassle.

Much appreciated Leupold, I know stuff happens, it's all about how one owns up to it!.

The saga of the rifle has ended, but not the story of bad luck day, for the very same day I walked out of Fisherman's Marine with my flawed rifle and scope I walked passed a box containing a motorized clay pigeon thrower. Originally priced @ $279.00, it was marked down several times ending @ $49.95. I placed my rifle, scope and rings in the van with my wife, returned to the gun counter telling them I noticed the 49 bucks on an originally priced 279 dollar item and said it begs the question; "what is wrong with it". "Absolutely nothing" was the reply; in fact it has never been opened. It has just been here so long we needed to get rid of it. If you buy it now, I sell it for $29.99! Totally disregarding the admonition "you get what you pay for", and visualizing not having to bend my sore back over to charge my old thrower several hundred times an outing, I bought it.

Sure enough, it had never been opened, though offering little consolation for the fact that it had apparently been dropped hard enough to bend ¼ inch steel top plate welded to the gear assembly the swing arm attaches to. The entire assemble (being welded) could not be disassembled for repair. MR. Luck might as well rub salt in the wounds by emphasizing the "No Return on Sale Items"' policy.

With nothing to lose, I jigged up the necessary support and beat the crap out of the plate with a 5# hand jack until it returned nearly flat. Luckily there were no bearings; instead they used a substantial steel lubed bushing making for a less delicate assembly. This ultimately resolved the issue but not before the Bad luck trilogy took one last swing; it was wired backwards! The red was negative and the black positive. I could not believe my eyes. Surely even Asian countries declare Red as positive. Yep, the crude manual affirmed it as positive. It was definitely wired backwards. A little more fiddling and it throws them just fine. Now!

20 more factory loaded rounds to shoot and I will have 120 nice brass cases which I can hand load for what will be my ultimate pet rounds, then get on to "breaking in" enjoyment before the 32 minutes of 2017 deer season begins.
I'll be ready.

Ultimately, I'm of a mind I came out ahead all three times.

Including the unexpected thrower purchase, I'm still way under budget. That's lots of lead and powder in my mind.

All in all, I now have a very nice svelte, light weight, rifle/ scope / caliber combination (for me) and am finally not just comfortable, but thrilled with my finished product.
View attachment 365775

As an aside, I'm noticing what looked like burned edges to the 6.5x55 created holes, or could it be copper oxides rubbed off from the FMJ 139gr projectile?
View attachment 365777
Not a clue. Any opine on that? I did help me to see the tiny holes @ 100 yards with optics.

Damn it's got to get better from here. :eek:

thorborg,

Because you are handy and have no problem diving in and problem solving, it worked out for you. Man, I don't know how many people it would have worked out for. The fact that you noticed the incorrect wiring on the motorized clay pigeon thrower is pretty darn good. So, IMHO you get extra karma points for taking what would have been "disappointments" for many other people out of circulation. And you didn't just rig them, you fixed them. Very nice too btw!

Happy hunting! :s0090:

I am impressed with the Tikka overall, butter smooth action.. but as stated above. Bad things happen if you torque the action screws to 62 inch pounds. I called Beretta up and said hey. I have a broken trigger guard on a Tikka T3 that I have yet to fire a shot thru. They promptly sent me a new trigger guard housing and a great big note that said do not follow the instructions in the manual for torque specs.
The note then went on to say and I quote "snug up the action screws" so I did just that. I snugged them up till they were even and not cracking the housing or distorting it in anyway. Oh boy it's an accurate rifle.. and it turned out pretty well when I was done with it also.
IMG_8148.JPG

I am impressed with the Tikka overall, butter smooth action.. but as stated above. Bad things happen if you torque the action screws to 62 inch pounds. I called Beretta up and said hey. I have a broken trigger guard on a Tikka T3 that I have yet to fire a shot thru. They promptly sent me a new trigger guard housing and a great big note that said do not follow the instructions in the manual for torque specs.
The note then went on to say and I quote "snug up the action screws" so I did just that. I snugged them up till they were even and not cracking the housing or distorting it in anyway. Oh boy it's an accurate rifle.. and it turned out pretty well when I was done with it also.
View attachment 365853
Nice Job!
If I was going for a bigger caliber I'd a gone with the plastic stock. The older tikka I had shot was so stocked and seemed to enhance recoil absorption over the wood but not juxtaposing same calibers may be in my mind.

I have never had to deal with Beretta for any issues, but I have heard stories! I do know that SAKO and by extension Tikka have one of the best warranty depts in the business, just a little slow, but with every thing having to go through Beretta as the importer, your sorta screwed in the unlikely event there is an issue with one of their rifles! That said, I am now the proud owner of 2 Tikka Super Varmint rifles, One of which is 6.5X55 Swede ( I have yet to mount an optic or shoot it, But based on the performance of the first one ( My Wife's T-3 Light Stainless .243) and My Super Varmint .30/06, I know the new one will really shoot!
Could have been worse, It could have been a Remington and suffered through all sorts of quality control issues, and a slow and unwilling claims dept. So I would say you did quite good getting that Tikka and getting it fixed well enough! Good Luck with your hunting!:)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews