JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The greatest unknown is always feared by those who are ignorant to its merits.
That's a platitude making a poor argument at best. First of all, anything labeled as the "GREATEST unknown" would by definition have EVERYONE ignorant of its nature, whether meritorious, inert, or dangerous. Dark matter may qualify as one of the GREATEST unknowns, but somehow I just cannot bring myself to include the relatively mundane subject of Bitcoin in that category. As to the second portion of your absurdity: there ARE those of us NOT ignorant to its merits, there are certainly some advantageous uses and potentials. It has become apparent to me that the single DOWNSIDE risk, however, more than outweighs the potential upsides. This is of course NOT ignorance, but a careful consideration/weighing of all information available.

That's a platitude making a poor argument at best. First of all, anything labeled as the "GREATEST unknown" would by definition have EVERYONE ignorant of its nature, whether meritorious, inert, or dangerous. Dark matter may qualify as one of the GREATEST unknowns, but somehow I just cannot bring myself to include the relatively mundane subject of Bitcoin in that category. As to the second portion of your absurdity: there ARE those of us NOT ignorant to its merits, there are certainly some advantageous uses and potentials. It has become apparent to me that the single DOWNSIDE risk, however, more than outweighs the potential upsides. This is of course NOT ignorance, but a careful consideration/weighing of all information available.

Of Course had you jumped on the bitcoin express when it cost $13
we'd be hearing a whole dif story:s0114:

Of Course had you jumped on the bitcoin express when it cost $13
we'd be hearing a whole dif story:s0114:

You would be hearing the very same story, as I would have never "jumped on" the Bitcoin express. I have never had any interest in risking my capital on .coms ventures, hoping to catch onto the coattails at the beginning of a bubble. For every one which DOES take off, garnering enough interest and growth as Bitcoin has, there are hundreds which completely disintegrate on the launch pad. To play the devil's advocate, however, let's say I DID have that interest in taking such a risk... and bought Bitcoin when it was $13 as you suggest, making a substantial profit. Not the point. The argument I have been making here has been whether your capital is SAFE there, not how much you MADE there. And I still maintain that this digital currency only belongs to you conditionally, because it is not in your hands. Digital deposits disappearing in Cyprus... the OBR in New Zealand... financial records gone in building 7 during 911... power grid failure... internet failure... and of course outright government or corporate larceny and/or incompetence. To sum up, the argument is not about a profit, but the security and accessibility of your assets. THIS is the downside being discussed.

You would be hearing the very same story, as I would have never "jumped on" the Bitcoin express. I have never had any interest in risking my capital on .coms ventures, hoping to catch onto the coattails at the beginning of a bubble. For every one which DOES take off, garnering enough interest and growth as Bitcoin has, there are hundreds which completely disintegrate on the launch pad. To play the devil's advocate, however, let's say I DID have that interest in taking such a risk... and bought Bitcoin when it was $13 as you suggest, making a substantial profit. Not the point. The argument I have been making here has been whether your capital is SAFE there, not how much you MADE there. And I still maintain that this digital currency only belongs to you conditionally, because it is not in your hands. Digital deposits disappearing in Cyprus... the OBR in New Zealand... financial records gone in building 7 during 911... power grid failure... internet failure... and of course outright government or corporate larceny and/or incompetence. To sum up, the argument is not about a profit, but the security and accessibility of your assets. THIS is the downside being discussed.

Same risks with a bank account. 99.999% of us have to have some form of digital capital to function in modern society so why not one that is not manipulated by the FED?

Everyone wanting to go for this, go for it.
I'll stick with tangible assets in the hand
not in some hyperspace fictional location.
In a real crisis, a can of beans or 10 rds 7.62,
or a portable water filter will be worth a billion bitcons.

[QUOTSame risks with a bank account. 99.999% of us have to have some form of digital capital to function in modern society so why not one that is not manipulated by the FED? E][/QUOTE]

ARE YOU SURE IT IS NOT MANIPULATED BY THE FED......

Absolutely. If you would read backwards in the thread, I too maintain a small digital account which each month contains enough $ to handle monthly expenses but no more. This has been a discussion about the storage and/or investment of LARGE amounts of capital and whether or not they would remain safe in this particular haven... as opposed to holding hard assets like physical gold and silver.
Same risks with a bank account. 99.999% of us have to have some form of digital capital to function in modern society so why not one that is not manipulated by the FED?

I knew it was just a matter of time before the Feds would come up with ways to sink Bitcoin. Dollars are also laundered and have the exact same corruption, but dollars are not outside the banksters complete control.

Bitcoin dealers charged with money laundering

Maybe this will demonstrate to folks that Bitcoin will survive as long as the Gov wants to allow it to survive. I still think it will continue because it helps pave the way to an all-digital economic system, but no way will it be a way to circumvent taxation. Digital will end up being a way to make tax collecting more efficient (from a Gov standpoint), but won't be a way to avoid taxation. So, not a way to avoid taxes, and, just another currency that is subject to fluctuations against every other currency. Nothing particularly compelling about that unless one is a currency speculator who wants to play in this area.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top