JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find that people that have dogs needs to feel loved, people with cats want to learn to love more. At least that's the cats take. The dog would be off limits to the youngster!

I had a bobcat jump on me once.
He wrapped one arm over my right shoulder and dug in. The other went under my left arm and dug into my back.

Then the SOB sank his teeth into my right chest muscle. And that really hurt!
And man was that thing fast! I totally froze up. It was so fast.
My Dad was right beside me. And basically ripped it off me and threw it to the dirt.

I can honestly say. I was not feeling the love! :s0002:

Give me a angry dog any day.
It's ben shown to me that Pound for Pound. A cat is a much bigger problem. :D

I foolhardily tried to intervene in a dog fight between two Great Danes.
I received several deep puncture wounds in my left arm and hand.
My wife, who raised the two males from puppies, used a flat sided shovel to break it up.
She knew better then to get within 4' of those snapping jaws.
Nothing hurts worse or takes longer to heal then a deep puncture dog bite.

I love dogs, always have. While I've never been attacked by one, we did have an incident in Sunriver a few years ago where it almost happened.
One side note, since then, I've tried to be better about carrying a less-lethal option such as pepper spray when I'm out walking in places like SR, just because I'd rather not end the dog (or other animal) if something else will work.
Bear spray really fuchs them up. It completely disorients their objective.
If you ever get your hand taken by a dog, as hard as it is to imagine, the first instinct is to pull. Don't!! Drive your fist down the animals throat and pull out what you can. They will let go.

Bite the little b☆☆☆☆☆☆d back. That has always worked for me. Trust me, bite down across the bridge of their snout, growl loudly, and shake your head around like your going to rip theirs off. People will think you have lost it but, it is what I have done with my dogs and it worked great. It says, "I AM THE ALPHA!":s0120::s0118::D

Bear spray really fuchs them up. It completely disorients their objective.
If you ever get your hand taken by a dog, as hard as it is to imagine, the first instinct is to pull. Don't!! Drive your fist down the animals throat and pull out what you can. They will let go.

That's a good point. If you've never heard about Carl Akeley, he was a hunter and conservationist that had some run-ins with wild animals. One of the most famous was an attack by a leopard - the leopard latched on to his hand and it wouldn't let go, so Ackley shoved his fist down the cat's throat and strangled it from the inside.

akeley.jpg
Here is a link with some info on Akeley - the language on the site is NSFW, but the way it's written makes for a very colorful read as they highlight some of what Akeley did:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/akeley.html

Tonight while at my inlaws house their Dog bit me. on purpose.

Let me tell you about this dog: Im not sure the breed but itsnot quite a kick around dog but not quite the size of an australian shepherd yet is all black and sort of looks like one. he is 5-6yrs old. he DOES NOT listen and his form of discipline is being put outside.He is fixed.This dog was adopted from someone who no longer wanted him(ya...i know). ive had bad feelings about this dog ever since i became a dad less than two years ago. ive sat down with my wife, explained to her how i feel, and asked her parents to keep the dog away from our son in fear of my son getting bit or even worse and that i felt that it was a matter of time before he started biting. My requests were ignored as "oh, he wouldnt ever hurt anyone"

Heres the story:

My wife, my 22 month old son and I go to visit Nana and Papa's every tuesday evening for dinner so they can get their grandson fix. well, tonight their dog bit me. broke the skin, made me curse, bleed, the whole nine yards. The reason he bit me was because he is not allowed to sit near the dinner table and beg while we are eating. routinely, i always call him over, pet him, then take him to the other room. no problem. I KNEW this day would come as he is becoming more and more agressive with time. I seriously wanted to throw this dog over the fence or maybe even worse but, its not my dog. Well, on the way home i was still upset, my hand is swollen and sore and basically (which here is where i may have gone wrong) was an I TOLD YOU SO!

Well, needless to say wifes mad at me for 'using a tone' and i just dont know what to do. HELP!
Report the dog to local authorities, and of course the fact that the dog bit you. Let them take it from there.

Report the dog to local authorities, and of course the fact that the dog bit you. Let them take it from there.

Didn't read that it all worked out for him did ya...?

Great way to estange your in laws if that's your goal I guess.

Bite the little b☆☆☆☆☆☆d back. That has always worked for me. Trust me, bite down across the bridge of their snout, growl loudly, and shake your head around like your going to rip theirs off. People will think you have lost it but, it is what I have done with my dogs and it worked great. It says, "I AM THE ALPHA!":s0120::s0118::D

Sorry, but I'm not putting my face anywhere near a dogs mouth if it just bit me and it's getting scolded...

I find that people that have dogs needs to feel loved, people with cats want to learn to love more. At least that's the cats take. The dog would be off limits to the youngster!

Our cats went bonkers when we had a kid. I had to put both of them down because they were down right vindictive.

Got a dog when she was 3 (a rot lab mix) and always trusted her life to that dog up until she died a couple years ago.

I won't ever own a cat again.

I like dogs, but if one bites me, he dies.

I'm with you if the punishment fits the crime. A nip or fear bite that doesn't break skin isn't a life threatening event for me.

Wifey hates it when I say I'm going to put my Hand down its throat. Grab tail. Pull inside out. If you are already in pain, endorphins are already going so ride the wave. If it latches to my arm it will find its head at my crotch while my legs are wrapped around its throat popping its eyes out from pressure.

There was a dude who killed a grizzly from the inside. Last known person to kill one with his bear hands.

@v0lcom13sn0w glad things are looking up.

Wifey hates it when I say I'm going to put my Hand down its throat. Grab tail. Pull inside out. If you are already in pain, endorphins are already going so ride the wave. If it latches to my arm it will find its head at my crotch while my legs are wrapped around its throat popping its eyes out from pressure.

There was a dude who killed a grizzly from the inside. Last known person to kill one with his bear hands.

@v0lcom13sn0w glad things are looking up.
pretty amazing what adrenaline does huh? that guy who killed the bear gets a permanent man card.

thanks guys. my main concern is my boy. trust me, if this was my dog it would have been a goner already on a one way ticket to glock 23 land.
As a dog breeder / owner the dog should be put to sleep immediately they only get more and more bold and the baby is in definite danger as are everyone else in the house including your inlaws. This is a time bomb waiting to go off.
Stay away if at all possible until the dog has been removed, and don't let the little woman over rule you on this. Get a pair!
Gabby

I love dogs as well, but have been bitten before. The problem in most cases are the owners not being responsible. I was walking along in Lowe's one day minding my own business looking for something. I walked right by a lady with a Pomeranian on a leash, didn't even look at the lady or the dog. All of the sudden the little sh** bites my leg. Luckily I was wearing jeans, but it bit me hard enough to redden the skin underneath. The lady acted like it was no big deal either. I tried to tell her that if I had been wearing shorts, it would have broken the skin and we would have had a bigger problem on our hands. She was aloof about it, so I just walked away.

I love dogs as well, but have been bitten before. The problem in most cases are the owners not being responsible. I was walking along in Lowe's one day minding my own business looking for something. I walked right by a lady with a Pomeranian on a leash, didn't even look at the lady or the dog. All of the sudden the little sh** bites my leg. Luckily I was wearing jeans, but it bit me hard enough to redden the skin underneath. The lady acted like it was no big deal either. I tried to tell her that if I had been wearing shorts, it would have broken the skin and we would have had a bigger problem on our hands. She was aloof about it, so I just walked away.
i would have punted it.

I was in a Home Depot and this guy had a dog that looked like a cross between a St. Bernard and a Great Dane. Not even on a leash and that dog followed that guy and NEVER got further then 3-4 feet from him.

I was super jealous. My dog thinks he knows everything and would end up in the parking lot looking around if I unleashed him. Don't get me wrong, he Does listen to me but he is small and very very sneaky - he knows exactly when my attention is focused somewhere else and that's when he decides to roam.

Let me tell you about this dog: Im not sure the breed but itsnot quite a kick around dog but not quite the size of an australian shepherd yet is all black and sort of looks like one. he is 5-6yrs old. he DOES NOT listen and his form of discipline is being put outside.He is fixed.This dog was adopted from someone who no longer wanted him(ya...i know). ive had bad feelings about this dog ever since i became a dad less than two years ago. ive sat down with my wife, explained to her how i feel, and asked her parents to keep the dog away from our son in fear of my son getting bit or even worse and that i felt that it was a matter of time before he started biting. My requests were ignored as "oh, he wouldnt ever hurt anyone"

Heres the story:

My wife, my 22 month old son and I go to visit Nana and Papa's every tuesday evening for dinner so they can get their grandson fix. well, tonight their dog bit me. broke the skin, made me curse, bleed, the whole nine yards. The reason he bit me was because he is not allowed to sit near the dinner table and beg while we are eating. routinely, i always call him over, pet him, then take him to the other room. no problem. I KNEW this day would come as he is becoming more and more agressive with time. I seriously wanted to throw this dog over the fence or maybe even worse but, its not my dog. Well, on the way home i was still upset, my hand is swollen and sore and basically (which here is where i may have gone wrong) was an I TOLD YOU SO!

Well, needless to say wifes mad at me for 'using a tone' and i just dont know what to do. HELP!

First of all, I would not allow my child to be around the dog until the problem is resolved. Biting should never be tolerated. That said, the dog probably didn't bite without warning even if you didn't see it. There are several red flags in your post. I know it's a flip expression but no dog should be a kick-around dog. The fact that the dog doesn't listen and his form of discipline is being put outside isn't the fault of the dog; it's the fault of his owners. You called the dog over, petted it and then punished it? The dog thinks it's his right to sit at the table because he has been allowed to. The dog needs to learn boundaries and his place in life and that's too long of a discussion for this forum. There are classes for people with reactive dogs which help them to retrain the dogs but someone has to care enough. (NW dog Events is a great news feed for info on what's going on in the local dog world.) Best wishes with the dog and the family.

Heres the story:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top